Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 pm 
TO4

Car: s15
Hi All,

Finally started to think of getting some rear camber and toe arms for my s15.

I think I won't go with big jap brands and will stick to less expensive options. I've heard stories of JustJap arms failing, so I don't want that. Now drift shop arms seems aright, I did a bit of search and didn't see any complains about them.

Tuneagent, I guess would make products of pretty much the same quality, but not too sure, as they are not as popular I think.

So what do you guys recon out of these two?

Cheers
Kostya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:44 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
the cheapies are all the same in my experience. they'll last 18mths or so,and you'll be replacing them again when the cheap rose joints wear out.
first big hit they take and you'll be snapping the joints off also.
can show you photos of that...

cusco arms are around $500 a pair,and you'll not be replacing them anywhere near as fast,as the joints are much stronger. fit and finish is a bit nicer as well.

up to you I guess. depends on how much you drive,whether you want to support knock-off made in china companies,how long you need things to last for,and so on.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 pm 
T25

Car: rx7
i had this exact same connundrum and ended up saving an extra week and gong cusco

havent looked back since

i couldnt justify skimping out on suspension parts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
no complaints about the drift shop arms here.

But i also had cusco caster rods that did a lot of km's (over 100k easily) and the ball joints were perfect when removed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:56 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
Ive had a good experience with the more heavy duty tuneagent ones. One set lasted ~20000kms without any issues (or wear when they were pulled out. They would have lasted longer, but I already bought cusco jobbies as I had been told in error that the tuneagent ones were worn)

Another set lasted ~15000kms then the rose joint on one wore out badly when the damn thing became slightly loose...

So in terms of the budget brands...it gets my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 am 
T25

Car: S15
I got a set of brand new Ikeya Formula Rear Cambers, Rear Toes, and Front Castors from Japan for around $1100 for all 3 delivered. The dollar was a bit better when I got it but the quality of them are second to none :) Its not as expensive as youd imagine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 am 
TO4

had a look at perfectrun.com.au and yeah, it looks like big brands are not that much expensive...

Now I have two questions. I remember some time ago I was reading that for mostly daily driving it's better to have bush type arms, while for track applications pillowball will be the go. Obviously my car is daily(in a year it only saw one wakefield and one skidpan day) so which one would be more suitable?
Here is the link for the item http://perfectrun.com.au/performance%20 ... perarm.htm

Also about Cusco arms. On the following link what's the difference between these two items: 222 474L and 220 474G
http://perfectrun.com.au/performance%20 ... perarm.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 am 
Twin T51

Car: 180sx RB26DETT
bush type arms are less noisy compared to pillow joint arms...

but bush type dont seem to last as long as pillow joint ones...

but sometimes you have to sacrafice comfort for handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:05 pm 
TO4

standard ones are bush type, right?

so basically bush type arms from JIC should be like standard ones but adjustable, and I guess that's what I need for a daily car....

Also I would appreciate if someone could explain what's the difference in two cusco arms I mentioned in my previous post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
one is the upper arm and one is the traction rod.

I'd query the part numbers listed too as they have the same numbers listed for s13 through 15 and that is definately not the case. 14 and 15 run a different type of upper arm (and possibly traction arm but i can't say for sure)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:28 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
yeah,they all have different part numbers. S14,S15,R33,stagea,R34,etc are the same,but S13 isn't to any of those,only to R32,A31,and Z32.

as for bushes vs. rose joints/pillow ball joints/Heim joints,bushes will last longer,but are not as responsive (the bush still has 'give' in it),and don't allow as much adjustment in angles with std pickup points as the solid joints do.

good quality joints last a LONG time,as has been demonstrated by Dave's posted experience. bushes can last a long time as well,as in 15years or so...

one other thing to remember is that the bushes in the knuckles out back are a weak point that's noticeable as well. replacing these with urethane makes a difference to the car's handling and responsiveness also.
do these at the same time as you change arms for best results.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 pm 
TO4

Just ordered JIC magic camber arms(pillowball type as bush type has been discontinued). Should cost about $350 delivered.

Now I wonder how much camber adjustment I can make with these arms without screwing up toe... Unfortunately I couldn't order both camber and toe arms in the same time even though I should have probably...

I mean if I cannot adjust the camber for about a 1-2 degree without stuffing up the toe, I'll just wait for another month and order toe arms and put everything in together. On the other hand if I can adjust toe enough using stock component I'll won't be buying toe arms at all...