Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:35 pm 
TO4

Car: Mazda 3 MPS
Mmm, logical extension isn't it. Sounds like they may be a little small.

It's definitely got 550's though. Talking to Ando (old owner), he said Yavuz had tuned it on the rich side as a precautionary measure. Ando used it as a track car only, so went on the safer side for longevity's sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:36 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Ok my dumb. I forgot you bought Andos car and was thinking you still had Mitches car.

That said, I have 555's in my sil80 and it makes 230rwkw comfortably

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:54 pm 
TO4

You could be forgiven for forgetting that. I only drove the blue one for 3 months before the accident :(

Sounds like I might get away with the injectors. We shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:51 pm 
TO4

Got some pics from Greg today. It's alive!

Paint looks a lot better than I remember. I'm actually starting to dig the retro two tone scheme!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 pm 
TO4

I have a car again! It's been nearly six months since my crash, so it's just nice to have a daily driver to get around in again. I'll post some pics soon.

The car makes 214.8 rwkw @ 18psi with the new turbo. Yavuz has said that based on airflow meter readings, the turbo flows enough air to make more power but an exhaust restriction is causing risky levels of knock if the boost is turned up, so he's left it at a more conservative (and safe) level. He said it's most likely a knackered cat causing the restriction. Other than that, it's running well. The injectors are also at around 90% duty cycle.

I am also now broke, so it might be a while before it hits the track, but my aim is to get out there in the first half of next year. I reckon that's doable.

Last edited by Leif on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 am 
T04 Hybrid

Car: Zenki S14
Great news Leif! You must be stoked to be behind the wheel of a silvia again.

Sounds like once you've worked through the teething problems, we'll have a well rounded package. Congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:59 am 
TO4

vex33d wrote:
Great news Leif! You must be stoked to be behind the wheel of a silvia again.

Sounds like once you've worked through the teething problems, we'll have a well rounded package. Congrats!

Yeah, it's been a long wait, but the car is basically the same as the one I crashed, just doesn't look as nice. So at least I haven't gone backwards on the car and financially :lol:

Oh also, according to the engineer's report, the car weighs 1270kg. I've always wanted to know how much they are at full weight, because i've heard a lot of different figures floated around - usually lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:34 pm 
TO4

Dyno chart if anyone's interested:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:53 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: Zenki S14
Leif, I read that you were recently attending a timed day with Circuit Club, is this correct?

If so, you must have been excited to be back out there! How did the new shell go?

Cheers,
Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
TO4

Hey Grant,

Yeah mate, I wrote a quick entry about it on my blog but forgot to update here. Went back to Wakefield on the Queen's birthday long weekend. Chuffed to get back out there, unfortunately it wasn't a very productive day....

It was pissing with rain and about 8 degrees when we got there. I went out first session - wet track and semis - and just dawdled around. Cold tyres and plenty of water = skating rink. My road tyres are almost dead so the semis were the lesser of two evils, but certainly not ideal.

Second session was a bit nicer but still pretty wet. About 5 laps in I split the silicone hose where the air leaves the compressor. Massive leak, misfiring, no point staying out. Couldn't get a replacement hose so that was my day done with. Pretty annoying. Fastest lap? 1:33, and dead last :lol:

The car makes good power though, and the brakes felt good. The springs are too hard but other than that, I think it's got some decent potential. I'll get back out there in the next couple of months and hopefully start finding some rhythm again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 am 
TO4

Went to Wakefield again on Saturday. Day got cut short. Again. Seems i have a bit of a problem with the intercooler piping, and am hoping you guys might have an idea.

The problem is the silicone hose directly off the compressor housing. In two track days I've managed to split it once, and melt a hole in the replacement one.

The problem is that there's bugger all clearance between the heat shield and the silicone hose. Even with the heat shield removed, the pipe is directly under the exhaust manifold.

When the engine moves a bit, the silicone hose and the heat shield are coming into contact, which obviously means a short life for the piece of hose.

I've got a 2871 on a standard exhaust manifold, so i'm guessing the turbo mounting position is pretty typical and people would have encountered this problem before.

The silicone pipe is a 2.5" into 3.5" straight piece.

What can I do to get around this? Do I need to apply a heat shielding to the piece of silicone pipe? Should I remove the heat shield/grind some of it back near where it's touching?

I've been told that you can rotate the compressor housing to create a bit more clearance?

Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I'm assuming you don't have a factory type compressor cover and outlet.

rotate the housing, or get a bend welded on the compressor housing. Silicone will just keep melting if you can't give it some clearance. If you have a little bit of space you can try making a heat shield for the bend, I've done that before and it seemed to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 pm 
TO4

Yeah, no factory-style compressor cover. Cheers Dave, a few options to consider..