Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My SR20 Camry - S14 <3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:59 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: Zenki S14
Below is my S14 build that I've shared to this point with JDMST.com, the vehicle was purchased in April 2010 and is a retrospective look at the build thus far. Thanks again to Justin (Fergo308) for a cheap and painfree project and any comments/feedback welcome...

Cheers,
Grant

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As some of you may be aware, I previously owned an S14a (Kouki) with the usual Bolton modifications. It was a clean streeter that was also abit of fun to drive. As you can see, the new toy is the polar opposite, dirty and rough, but still alot of fun! I guess I had some unfinished business?!

So Clean... :D

Unfortunately, it was sold prior to me getting it close to what I had planned for it. It was sold to part fund my wifes commercial aviation course, on the condition I got to build the car I wanted when funds permitted. This is still in the pipeline, but will probably be sometime in 2011.

In the meantime, I missed owning a modified vehicle and attending social and club level meets. So when the following zenki S14 came up, it was not really an ideal time financially, but it was simply too good a deal to let pass by! I got the 'new' S14 for the similar money you'd pay for a rough SR powered S13.

I picked it up today and damn it's nice to be back behind the wheel of a Silvia.... I'm on the road day-to-day in my role at work and the company car just doesn't cut it, unlike the Sil that puts a smile on my face when driving it. :twisted:

S14 Sports model - Specs list as it stands:

Overview:
- Manual (converted from auto)
- Organic faced HD clutch

Mechanical:
- Greddy/Trust LS Spec FMIC
- ASI 42mm dual-core alloy radiator
- Hi-Octane radiator air guide
- 3" Turbo back exhaust with hi flow cat and resonator and 3" stainless steel twin tips
- Braided water and oil lines on Turbo
- Z32 AFM and hard intake piping
- S15 440cc injectors
- Nistune board & Unigroup tune
- Apexi Pod filter and 3" CAI
- Custom Pod filter enclosure
- Rocker Arm Stoppers (RAS kit)
- Greddy Profec B boost controller
- Bosch 040 Fuel Pump
- Trust/Greddy enlarged/baffled alloy sump
- S14 R200 Viscous LSD with 3.9 final drive and shimmed tight

Suspension and Brakes:
- R32 GTR front callipers
- DBA4000 Single piece rotors
- Ferodo DS2500 pads (front)
- Lucas TRW pads (rear)
- JJR front & rear swaybars
- All suspension arms replaced with JJR items front & rear
- Tein tierods and ends
- No name front strut brace
- Tein camber tops
- BC Type RM inverted coilovers (Spring rate front = 8KG/rear = 6KG)

Interior:
- Personal Steering wheel & Adjustable boss with spacer
- Drift R34 GTR style recliner on Bride super low rail
- BONDS bolt-in half roll cage
- Splitfire boost gauge
- Pioneer MP3 headunit
- Trust/Greddy Sphere gearknob

Exterior:
- Luxury spec front lip
- JDM foglights with factory stalk/switch
- JDM headlights with clear covers
- JDM 'letterbox' style grill
- Kouki OEM tailights
- Tinted rear reflectors
- Nismo 270R wing
- Clear front indicators
- Ugly ass 'Edge' sideskirts and rear pods
- Rough flared rear guards with chipped paint (Oh yeah!)
- Work Equip Anhelo 17x9 +20 (all round) wheels

The car is rough externally and requires work in the interior, but definitely has potential and I'm happy to have a hobby to work with. Now the balancing act of juggling the mortgage, track days, a life and modifications begin....

I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty on this project, so there will definitely be a DIY approach taken from here on in, with Neb's Silvia build being part of the motivation.

- Fit a frontmount, fuel pump, RAS kit and boost controller/boost gauge (Purchased, soon to fit) DONE
- Gauges (Boost, oil pressure and temp)
- Create gauge holder
- Wheels fitted DONE
- Coilovers DONE
- Replace sideskirts & rear bar (Purchased, soon to fit)
- Add some form of headunit/noise maker :mrgreen: DONE
- Remove factory wing & badging DONE
- Shim the factory LSD DONE

Longer term goals;
- Larger injectors, Z32 AFM and NIStune install and tune DONE
- Respray of car, after other body work/mods are completed
- Have non functional sunroof welded shut/removed (Extra head space) DONE
- Attempt to fit my S15 non sunroof model Bonds boltin half cage into my S14 DONE
- Purchase & fit aftermarket seat that sits lower than standard DONE
- Fit Oil cooler
- Enlarged and baffled sump DONE
- Remove some weight out of the car DONE
- Mechanical 1.5 diff, this ought to stop it single legging :)

Onto the pic's, as per the day I bought it.....
Got to love clear headlight lenses, well I do!

Progress Pic:

Progress Pic:

Progress Pic:

Another Progress Pic:

Got to find some width and low offsets... Like about now! :)

Progress Pic:

Progress Pic Again:

Progress Pic:

More as it progresses or breaks and is replaced, cheers ;) ....

Last edited by vex33d on Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:01 pm 
T04 Hybrid

03/04/2010

Woke up earlier this morning and went straight for the garage... :lol:

Decided to give it a clean to 'get to know the car better'. Despite the pre-purchase inspection, I've found that the first hand wash of any new car always turns up some surprises.

Nothing unusual, the odd scratch here and there, but the front passenger guard has been resprayed at some stage and was in need as of a buff. Also, somewhere along the line, a previous owner had a shopping list down the doors :mad:! So out with the cutting compound, polish and wax. Came up 10x's better.

Whilst at it, I also removed the rear badge and rear spoiler. Upon removing the rear spoiler, I went to every local parts shop only to find that no-one had rubber plugs... Boo!:evil: :P With that the rain began, so I whacked it back on at this stage to stop the boot flooding... :cry: :cool:

I was cleaning out the garage and found some old wheels I had lying about.. Pics below. They are not aggresive, not wide at only 8" and both heavy and ugly to boot.... But I bought the whole set with tyres for less then what most would pay for one 18" street tyre. :cool:

18 x 8 +11's all round.

Clears the GTR 4 pots with ease, no spacer required.

So the plan is get an alignment done as it needs it badly, paint the wheels black to hide the design of the wheel :-o and stick a smaller tyre up front. Then when coilovers arrive, drop it and fix the rear guards.

Hey, at least it doesn't look like a hover craft anymore. :P

BTW - Did a compression test to ensure everything is as it should be, before spending money modding the thing, 2psi difference between all four cylinders in a dry test. One happy man here! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:02 pm 
T04 Hybrid

05/04/2010

Gave the interior a good detail from top to bottom, if nothing else, it smells a hell of alot better! Vanilla fresh...:mrgreen:

I didn't get a chance to work on the car yesterday with a big family shindig, all good though, family comes first.

Speaking of which, my wife turned into 'my lovely assistant', after seeing the car with the wheels fitted on Saturday, her mind was made up, she wanted them ASAP.

So with that, we got stuck into it, cracked out the paint stripper, what a PITA job and a half that is. After about four hours got it all done. :evil:

Time to mask up the wheels, to the right you'll just be able spot the 'lovely assistant'. Lots of masking tape used here, get to catchup on the news as a bonus. :mad: :mrgreen:

Cracked out bunnings finest etch primer, suitable for aluminium surfaces, starting with a light dusting coat, allowing about 5-10 mins between coats.

Onto the fun bit, colour application. As mentioned earlier, black it was as I wanted to hide the spokes where best possible. I settled on satin black, once the primer had dried I applied a dusting coat of black.

Once touch dry, I applied a thicker coat. At this stage, the air temp had cooled a lil' to much, so I'll finish up tomorrow. Some progress shots below, I'll give a rub back with some fine wet and dry, one more coat of black. Then hit up with 5-6 layers of clear coat.

In between paint prep and application, I decided to rectify the no music situation. :cool: Grabbed a Pioneer headunit offer by one of my mates, unfortunately, CD only, no MP3, but for free why not? Got it all soldered in and wired up.

As is notirious with most S14's, the stereo surround trim piece becomes brittle and cracks. Being an S14, mine is no different, being cracked in four places. Whilst installing the headunit and utilizing a soldiering iron, I got to work. Using the soldiering iron, a large cable tie and the four pieces of stereo surround, I turned them over and melted the cable tie to form a bond between the trim pieces.

Although not the neatest of jobs, it's an improvement. In the near future, I intend to give the trim some additional strength by using a layered membrane and fibreglass.

As it sits at the moment...

Lots still to do, but progress is always good. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:06 pm 
T04 Hybrid

07/04/2010

I have some clear front guard indicators on the way, but this S14 has a JDM front bumper fitted, which includes the indicator lense fitted on the very corner of each side as shown below, as opposed to a plastic blanking plate found on ADM models. They are not wired up and I didn't like the contrast of the orange on green soooooo.....

Out came the can of Niteshades and can of clear. Spray away as such....

and BAM, no more huge contrast, should tie in more nicely with the black wheels soon to be fitted and the tinted windows.

Didn't like the factory wing (who does?!) and I can't justify a JDM kouki wing with the money better spent elsewhere at this time. So in the mean time, I went to the local Supercheap, picked up some rubber blanking gromets in 3/8" and 5/8" sizing and got to work.

I removed the wing (again, see previous post) and was greated with Sikaflex on paint work.

What a PITA this is, a heap of metho, heat, a plastic paint scraper and swearing and things although not perfect were looking better.

Cracked out some cutting compound and soft polish and here are the results, then simply fit up blanking gromets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:08 pm 
T04 Hybrid

12/04/2010

Onto the progress, what does one do when one has a new project, is enthusiastic and bored on a Monday afternoon after work?

Reef out the sunroof... Abit of background to the whole situation that led to the hole in my roof. :) When I inspected the car, I was informed that the sunroof was aftermarket and not a factory install, and it no longer functioned as intended. As a bonus, the previous owner had intentions of replacing the sunroof with a panel in the roof, so had sourced a factory non-sunroof roof lining.

Dirty, but with a steam clean should be A-OK...

I took the car for a drive and noticed that with the adjustable steering wheel boss extended outward and drivers seat reclined, my head was still touching the roof lining, resulting in my head being massaged by the sunroof rails at each bump. I'd had enough, after finishing work, I decided to have a poke around.

I first removed the roof lining to see what I was up against, what a PITA job ahead I had. Me being a modest DIY'er, against the handy work of a professional sunroof installer! I first removed the no functioning motor, then sunroof trim pieces. Upon removal of the trim pieces, I was greeted by, you guessed it, more Sikaflex! Grrrrr! The whole sunroof frame was held in by the stuff :(!

Heavy paper weight here...

With some heat, a flat bladed paint scraper and some butter knives of all things, were the tools used to jimmy the frame out. All in all, 14KGS REMOVED from the very top of the car, this should somewhat help the center of gravity.

With the removal of the sunroof frame, all roof structural integrity was lost, the factory cross bracing has been removed in all three places, at the moment the roof is a gigantic piece of sheet metal with a speed hole :).

So I've got two lengths of 1.2m x 5mm x 50mm flat bar steel and two lengths of 1.2m x 12mm thick steel rod that will be used as the basis for roof bracing, that with the assistance of my old man will be welded in to give some additional strength.

In this shot, you can clearly see where the factory roof 'cross members' were fitted for additional strength. But alas they are no more :(, for now! :)

Fortunately, the sunroof panel that was utilized was a piece of the original sheetmetal roof, so using 4 gal pieces this will be tacked back into place and bogged.

All in all, this should give an additional 60 odd mm of head room, or should that soon be helmet room? :)

Head room goodness, should go a long way to getting my half cage into the car...

More as it progresses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:09 pm 
T04 Hybrid

18/04/2010

Picked up Vertex sideskirts and a Nismo rear bar thanks to Sergio and Claudio. Cheers fellas... :mrgreen: It'll be great to replace the edge sideskirts and rear bar with ugly rear reflectors.

No reflectors!!! :lol:

Rough but workable..

Bit rough, so I grabbed a fibreglass repair kit and will try my hand at repairing and tidying them up before paint.

Back onto the sunroof removal, I picked up a sheet of Zinc plated steel that is being used as the basis for the repair job.

I grabbed the angle grinder, tidied up the surrounding edge as seen below...

Using some timber to hold up the sheet, the old man and I got to riviting in the sheet to position it before fixing permantely.

... and the view from above....

Here's the catch, be it that I'm a body DIY'er noob, any input appreciated.

I don't know how to fix in the panel to the original sheetmetal roof, I have access to both a Mig and electric welder, but affaid of distorting the roof due to heat or 'blowing holes through the roof'.

Once the panel is fixed into to place, tacked etc. I'll be using lead/zinc based soldier and silver soldier to seal the panel from moisture.

As for the dirty headlining, I got to washing it using a high pressure high, scrubbing brush, carpet cleaner and napisan! Raided mum's cupboard.... :shock: :cool:

Before -

After (Got to love cable ties)-

Test fitted Bonds Boltin Cage, it's originally from an S15 (non-sunroof model) and I'm attemping to fit into my S14 (was fitted with sunroof :twisted:). It appears that it'll fit, but my leg room is eaten into pretty badly! Do other have the same issue? I'm reasonably tall at 6'1", but not huge. Once a fixed back seat is fitted, should this help with room?

BTW - Got some hub rings to suit the wheels, relocated the wiring loom from the driver's side guard higher up the guard and fitted them up. Looks better in black I reckon, now for some coilovers....

Better shots to come when it's back on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:10 pm 
T04 Hybrid

30/04/2010

Updates as promised, it has been a busy week with some progress made. The next step will be having the hole in the roof filled, still undecided as to which way to go with this.

If we tack the sheet metal panel into the sheet metal roof, we'll almost certainly warp the roof. The next step from here would be to purchase a new roof sheet skin, remove all glass and blend into the pillars. A big job that I don?t even want to contemplate. :cry:

With this knowledge, I'm at present sourcing prices on a fixed tinted glass panel with rubber fitting to close the hole. The search continues, I wish the owner of the car at the time had simply not had the brainwave of fitting an aftermarket, head room eating, god-forsaken sunroof!!! Not happy Jan!!! :evil:

Onto the mods, it has been quite the expensive week. Silvia, the other women in my life..... :lol: She has my heart, my soul & my wallet! :mrgreen: Enough of that, onto the mods...

First up, a seat to hold me in abit firmer then the factory seat, so a WTB callout went out.

Which resulted in the following, a JJR Bride replica recliner on a genuine Bride low rail to suit S13, S14 & S15.

The base of the seat has been modified and the seat rail's rear cross bar has been replaced with a piece of steel flat bar to position the base height to that of the factory seating position. Other than some UV fabric fade and very very slight bolster wear, the seat is in excellent condition.

Quite the difference in bolstering.... :P

Here you can see the height difference between the seat base, modification should fix this....

The modified bride seat rail, with flat bar steel base, sit about 20mm lower then before hand...

All fitted up, should do the job for now...

I picked up over the last week a genuine Greddy/Trust enlarged baffled sump. This should help to serve against oil starvation and premature engine bearing failure that is commonly associated with SR20s under heavy cornering loads.

In this photo, you can see where the hinged baffles are to be fitted, reducing oil starvation under corning load...

Below is an easy to follow guide outlining the benefits to such a sump and its installation.
http://www.sr20tuning.com/sump.html

Last but not least, everyone LOVES getting deliveries, mine via Auspost arrived today! :mrgreen:

A Bosch 040 fuel pump, did the job well in the last S14, so it was a safe bet, it should suffice for what I have planned, with just Bolton mods. I got it for a good price from big_d of the JDMST forums, cheers Derek! ;)

So progress is being made and getting closer to reaching my goals. In the next week, I intend to join the Nissan Sports Car Club (NSCC) and start getting along to some track days and enjoy the car as intended.

Next on the list of items to tackle/upgrade (hopefully in the following order):
- Fit Trust baffled sump
- Finalise the hole in the roof situation
- Purchase & fit coilovers
- Get a wheel alignment
- Boost, oil temp & oil gauges & senders
- Purchase some wide 17" rims with sticky tyres
- Fit bodykit & respray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 pm 
T04 Hybrid

16/05/2010

I signed up for I thought would be a great chance to get to know the S14 better and do so off the street. The DriftMob Japkhana to be held at the Nirrimba unused runway.

I found when under the car that there sat my sump with a fair knock on the underside, right where the oil pickup sits. The factory sump is also unbaffled, so decided to get the new baffled sump in ASAP before the event.

So I jacked up the car, got the jack stands under there and got to work.

The factory tinyassed sump...

After 'some' prying, some heat and alot of swearing, I got the factory sump off and got to cleaning the mating surface of the block....

The new baffled Trust sump with over an additional litre of oil capacity and baffles fitted.... Underbody bling, where noone will ever find.... :mrgreen:

Whilst at it, thought I'd best address the SR20's other inherent weakness, wandering rockers in the head at high rpm/over rev. So another parcel arrived via mail, thanks to Greg at GKtech for the prompt delivery.

I thought it best to address these issues of reliability then modify the performance side of things. SR20 Rocker Arm Stoppers (RAS) kit....

So with parts in hand, I sourced the parts/materials to get the job done, as shown below...

Whilst removing the rocker cover to install the RAS kit, I thought it a good opportunity give the rocker cover a tidy up.

Here you can see the SR20, minus RAS kit....

After fitting, zinc coated kit bolted upto cam caps....

Before.....

During..... All primered up....

After.....
I like the white alot, but can already see it's going to be a PITA to clean looking tidy! :shock: :???:

With an early start on the Sunday morning to get to the MotorKhana event, with over an hour & a half travel each direction, I got to work on getting the car (hopefully) ready in time on the Saturday. What the car looked like still at 9pm on the Saturday night, not many hours before I had to pack the car and get going. :cry: :mad:

So I got up early on the Sunday morning (while most of you JDMSTer's were still sleeping), picked up a mate and left the coast. Arrived JUST on time, signed up and thoroughly enjoyed my day! A big thankyou to the DriftMOB crew for a well organised day. I?d recommend the day to all looking to enjoy driving their cars as intended.

Some photos from the day....

Fresh start...

Don't know why, but I like this photato! :mrgreen:

Killed some tyres, got delam?

Awesome day had, also met & saw some JDMST members, also out enjoying the sun, cars, driving & company. Best of all, the car performed flawlessly, good news indeed as it would be an expensive tow home over that distance. :P

I have found some areas that need addressing though. The car requires some stiffening up, just a little loose for my liking. Looking forward to coilovers & alignment. Then onto chasing some more power and gauges to monitor it all.

Loving the car more and more as time goes by... :)

More as it happens....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
T04 Hybrid

18/05/2010

Some photos taken from Pat/SpeedInc from Sunday, cheers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
T04 Hybrid

02/07/2010

Updates have been slow of late, been flat out with work and my previous tenants moved out of my investment property, so been very careful with funds of late. But thats now all changed and the mods/updates ought to start flowing more regularly. :mrgreen:

Over the last week and a half, I've been receiving parcels on a daily basis, gotta to love parcels.... :P

Ordered a Turbotech boost tap to up the boost to 10psi, the advantage of the boost tap vs a bleed valve is reduced lag and steadier boost control with reduced spiking. But with the delivery of it, I got an offer from a cousin of his Greddy Profec B, Spec 2 electronic boost controller for an AWESOME price. So just awaiting pickup of the EBC.

Grabbed some clear indicators for the front guards... None other then VR-VX commo indicators! :shock:

Grabbed a 2"/52mm Splitfire vacuum/boost gauge brand new for less than what the 52mm gauge cup/holder and 4mm vacuum T-Piece cost me... :shock: :-o

Installed....

I installed it so it runs off the headlights, so as they're switched on the gauge will also light up... As such...

Grabbed an unknown mesh Zenki grill from Michael (JAP513) for a good price. Cheers again Michael! :)

Old vs New:

Old:

It arrived in S14 red, I gave it a light sand in 250, 400 & 800 grit sandpaper and figured until the whole car is painted, I'd spray it and fit it up in black. Ta Da!

New:

Don't mind the bonnet, headlight, grill and front guard alignment, it'll all be tidied up at time of respray!

Better photos to come. Over the weekend, I'll install the Bosch 040 fuel pump and fit the clear guard indicators.

Over the next week, the aim is to grab a pair of Federal 595s for the rear and purchase some coilovers.

As for the coilovers, I've narrowed it down to HSD HR's or BC RM MA's monotubes and inverted. Either in the standard springrates of F8KG & R6KG's. Then alignment and another Driftmob day on July 25th, all going well... ;)

So if anyone has an reasoning for one over the others, I'd appreciate some feedback.

ATM, I'm leaning toward the BC's because:
I've heard from personal experience in the S14 chassis that the BC's are better dampened at the same spring rates, they are inverted and are $220 cheaper over the full set. Decisions decisions. :idea:

Cheers all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 pm 
T04 Hybrid

31/07/2010

The BC RM inverted coilovers are in and loving the way it drives. Much improved and with new alignment I'm getting pretty good drive out of corners now, even with the stockies! Was going to grab photos of the install process, but it's so easy that anyone should be able to take a hand to it.

At the moment I've only got access to the car of weekends, due to temporary storage. So the exhaust badly needs to be tucked up and the mid muffler is copping a hiding. Taking more hits then a red headed stepson! :twisted: This is priority #1, get it tucked....

Here is why.... :cry:

I had a wheel alignment undertaken to the following specs as my wife had been daily driving this over the past 10 weeks or so and I drive it only of weekends. The wheel alignment was a compromise, with the specs below. This is all now to change, with the car going to strictly be used as a toy from here inward, so a more aggresive wheel alignment is coming soon.

But for now:
Front:
Camber = -2.0
Toe = Total 1mm out
Caster = +7.0

Rear:
Camber = -1.0
Toe = Total 1mm in

Got some new tyres coming for the front pair of wheels (so I'll have a set fitted up) and I'll give the car of detail. Then time for some better photos, more as it progresses.

Cheers,
Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 pm 
T04 Hybrid

01/10/2010

It's been a while between updates... :cry: In that time the car has taken a back seat as I've been travelling abroad in Europe! The travel bug has well and truly bitten! ;)

Back in April this year I removed the non-functioning sunroof from the S14, reducing weight, but most importantly, gaining 65mm in headroom! Meaning more room for a helmet... :D

The panel that was fitted into place via pop rivets was spot welded in, pop rivets drilled out and smoothed over in prep for the bog/filler.

The prep work, has been completed and the car was sent off to be painted... Ta da, no more wind noise or leaky roof! :P

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

All that's left to do in this sunroof removal is spray the underside of the roof to protect against rust and moisture and refit the roof lining.

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:18 pm 
T04 Hybrid

15/10/2010

Good news!

Exhaust tuckage complete....

I've gone from the following cat back, resulting in clearance issues....

TO....

A 3 inch mild steel system, with a single resonator (deleting the low hanging mid muffler) and ending in a pair of stainless twin tips. Noisy? Yep. Lucky it's only my weekender... :twisted:

All of the knocks the old exhaust system took due to hanging too low has resulted in the metal gasket between the turbo rear housing and dump pipe blowing out and requiring replacement. Grabbed the gasket from Nissan (@ $67 mind you :evil::cry:), will swap out over the weekend and the exhaust system will be complete! :P

Time to drop the coilovers and have it re-aligned... :D

'Another' pair of new tyres to be fitted up over the weekend, all fun and games... :shock: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:19 pm 
T04 Hybrid

09/11/2010

Alright had a fair bit going on,

Bought a set of 17x9 +22 offset Work Equip Anhelo’s, at the moment there are 235/45/R17 street tyres fitted to the wheels that will be replaced by some semi slicks in most probably the same sizing in preparation for up coming Wakefield Speed Off the Street days I have coming up. They are lighter than the 18” wheels currently fitted to the rear of the car and be it that they are 17”, tyres are also cheaper... Win win!

Excuse the lack of clean car....

Check the manufacture date.... 17 years old YO! One year older than the car itself!!! How’s that for period correct? The original Work Meister S1's?

The front OEM lip had been annoyingly been sprayed in the factory body colour. It was looking worst for wear and I didn’t have any factory coloured paint to respray. So I got to body filling the mark/deep scratches, rubbed it all back and resprayed the lip in gloss black. Blending nicely with the grill.

Before:

After:

Casting back to the previous update, of the exhaust system update. Upon replacing the rear turbo/wastegate housing to dump pipe gasket, I found a large and nice crack in the CES front pipe. Got out the angle grinder, cleaned up the surface and got out the mig welder. Got the crack filled, then plated the weakness to help prevent it occurring again.

When putting it all back together it became clear as to why it had occurred in the first place. There were no brackets at all between the front pipe right through to the rear twin tips. Hence I made up the following bracket out of flat bar steel (25mm x 3mm thick). Should help hopefully?!

Got bored and sprayed the front callipers silver and tinted the rear tail lights and reflectors.

Next on the list:
- Get semi slicks fitted to 17” Work rims
- Purchase and fit an oil cooler before next track day

It’s slowly coming together on my limited budget for Hunj...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:20 pm 
T04 Hybrid

14/11/2010

So after abit of research I was on the hunt for some Kumho KU36 tyres for the Work Equips in 225/45/17 or preferably 235/45 sizing. But to no avail, no one in Sydney, the Central Coast or Newcastle have any stock of KU36’s in those sizes. Boooo!

So with my first circuit track day closing in and me being a circuit day newb, the aim will be to go out have fun and hopefully drive the car home with no mechanical dramas. So I yesterday purchased a set of Kumho KU31’s, I hope that they hold up to the heat of track rigours, however for the sake of longevity and mechanical sympathy, I’ll be doing at most 3 hot laps of Wakefield and then a cool down lap. So fingers crossed.... If no good after my first track day, I guess I’ll look to Federal 595 RS-R’s.

Kumho KU31’s fitted in 235/45/R17 sizing front and rear on 17x9’s, +22 offset on the front and +7 offset on the rear. At the current height, the rear’s only running -1.2 neg camber, with a more aggressive alignment, I’ll drop the rear another 10mm and then leave the wheel/tyre combo as I’m fairly happy with the setup, its practical and I have NO scrub! Win Win!