Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 180sx Type X
Hey peeps,

I'm looking at renting in some shared accomodation but the owner is a tightass and filled both garages with stuff and used the 2 carports out front so if I am to consider renting this place I can park my beloved on this rubble section under a tree. It's off the road but its under a tree...

I've seen these dodgy temp carports you can buy from supercheap or repco but they don't have walls and look like they will blow over. Also need something that doesn't require a concrete slab to be drilled into.

I know the initial reaction is to choose another house, but the rental market is really tight in ACT and real estate agents less than helpful (or sympathetic).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers, Jay.

WTB:

Nissan Silvia underbody tray to suit 180sx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 am 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
parking under tree might be a bad idea, alot of bird droppings, tree sap leaking, bird & cat scratches but then if you are ok with that then go ahead.
the ones they sell at supercheap aren't too bad, just don't expect them to stay standing in strong winds but they are strong to a certain point. u can get the ones with the sides ( its a tarp that goes around)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:28 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Even if you did need to drill into concrete to anchor it, you can buy big concrete pavers (about 350mm x 350mm x 50mm) and just drill into them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:55 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S14
How about getting a good quality car cover? or are you afraid that they may potentially leave scratches on the car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:02 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. I ended up ordering a temp car cover from ebay - shipped to my door for $226.

Looks like I'm having a wedding outside my house, but keeps the possum poo and leaves off my roof & bonnet so we'll see if it stands the test of time (and winds).

Might also invest in a good quality car cover for the colder months to stop that thin layer of ice forming in the winter time. Suggestions of brands etc?

I have an entry-level one (cost me $20 from supercheap), water still gets in it so its pretty shit.

For anyone whos interested in the carport its this company: http://www.canopyoutdoor.com.au/index.asp (although the carport I bought isnt listed here, check ebay).

I'll bitch about it in a later post if something goes wrong... *touch wood*

Now I've gotta go and source one of those anti-kangaroo whistles...ah the perks of moving to Canberra...

WTB:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S14A
ive got something similar dont use it much but it is pretty good make sure you use all the tie down points if you plan on leaving it out, and maybe upgrade the peg sizes :)

mine did get alittle damge couple years ago after it blew over while camping in queensland on the gold coast when a storm hit lol, mostly the pegs came out the ground i think, repaired it by finding something similar at the dump and modding some parts to fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:42 am 
TO4

Car: s15
jay.nismo wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. I ended up ordering a temp car cover from ebay - shipped to my door for $226.

Looks like I'm having a wedding outside my house, but keeps the possum poo and leaves off my roof & bonnet so we'll see if it stands the test of time (and winds).

Might also invest in a good quality car cover for the colder months to stop that thin layer of ice forming in the winter time. Suggestions of brands etc?

I have an entry-level one (cost me $20 from supercheap), water still gets in it so its pretty shit.

For anyone whos interested in the carport its this company: http://www.canopyoutdoor.com.au/index.asp (although the carport I bought isnt listed here, check ebay).

I'll bitch about it in a later post if something goes wrong... *touch wood*

Now I've gotta go and source one of those anti-kangaroo whistles...ah the perks of moving to Canberra...

how cold is canberra?
sorry never been there before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 pm 
T03 Hybrid

So my carport, despite being pegged down blew over while I was interstate for work - at first I thought my housemate was playing an April fools' joke on me.

This is what it looked like:

I was lucky it didn't crack my windscreen or something but it did scratch down the left side of my rear quarter panel window & paint. Most of it buffed out but the glass is scratched and there is a dented scratch which I tried to cover up with touch up paint.

Round 2: mate saw this on some inventors show. Reckons it doesn't blow over because your car physically secures it to the floor when you drive over it: http://www.carportable.com.au/index.html

Will see what happens...

P.S. Yes Canberra gets really cold (apparently) - we're on less than 10 degree evenings and its only the beginning of April...

WTB:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 am 
T25

Car: Subaru
Should have bought one of these http://www.zelangashades.com.au/

I did, best thing I ever did. Temporary/semi-permanent, resistant to high winds, didn't need council approval and protects my car.

It's pricier, but you won't need to replace it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 am 
Classifieds Scab

Car: 180
Lol there worth 2500 I could just get my car resprayed for that much lol