Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Jap
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:08 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
I posted this in their feedback thread on NS.com.

I've had mixed dealings with Just Jap. Previously, I've been in there to buy products and been ignored for 15 minutes. It's not my job to ask for help - it's your job to serve. Nevertheless, off the top of my head, I've bought:

two Strut Braces
two Indicators
a Digital Climate Control
a Steering Wheel
a Boss Kit
three Gauges
a 'DIN-sized' Triple Gauge-Holder
an Oil Pressure/Temp Sandwich Plate
a Radiator Water Temp Sender

I know there is more stuff I've forgotten, but onwards...

My latest, and final purchase engine from Just Jap was an engine from an S14 200SX. It was a SR20DE (non-turbo), complete with auto gearbox and a cut loom with ECU.

The first problem was the delivery. I purchased it on a Saturday. It was supposed to be delivered to the workshop where my car, my daily driver which I use to get to work, was sitting waiting. It had a blown engine and obviously I needed the conversion done as quickly as possible. Further, I was concerned the warranty would run out. I was told by one salesman (I will not name names) that the warranty was three months from date of purchase, and then I was told by a different one it was one month from date of purchase. As a customer, the warranty was also scant on details on the back of the receipt. My engine - a naturally aspirated SR20DE - is hardly what one would refer to as a "performance engine", for which the warranty is one month. Rather, I would class it as a "standard replacement engine", for which the warranty would be three months. I purchased the engine for a total cost of $870 + delivery.

On Monday, the engine didn't arrive.

On Tuesday, the engine still hadn't arrived. I received a missed call from Just Jap on my mobile that afternoon. Luckily, I called back as soon as possible. A salesperson I had previously dealt with, albeit not the one that sold me the engine on the previous Saturday, was asking if I was "still interested" in purchasing the engine. Apparently, he had a customer there who wanted to purchase it. I informed him that I had actually bought the engine on the weekend and it was supposed to be delivered the day before. Predictably, I was shocked - if I hadn't rung back, could that customer have bought MY engine a second time?

On Wednesday, the engine was delivered. The second problem was that it arrived without the automatic gearbox and ECU. I promptly rang Just Jap and spoke to the salesperson I had dealt with yesterday. He merely queried why I would want the gearbox and ECU. I paid for the engine as a PACKAGE with gearbox and ECU. Whether or not I need them is irrelevant, I paid for them. He arranged for the ECU to be sent the next day, which to their credit indeed arrived.

My mechanic then set to work installing the new engine. That part was relatively easy. I retained my S13 5-speed, and there was only minimal modifications required to get the engine all in. A headache was the wiring, which was a custom job done by a forum member. He adapted my S13 loom to fit the S14 engine, and we retained the S13 ECU.

My mechanic was very dubious about the condition of the engine though. He had checked the engine out internally, and there was a fair bit of wear. In his words, it looked "like it hadn't been serviced properly, or it has had a hard life". Quite a turn of events from the claim I was told by the salesman who sold me the engine: "We [Just Jap] don't sell shit engines. ..it has had an easy life, you can tell by the automatic transmission".

After my mechanic told me this, I was a bit worried, but at the same time thankful I had purchased from a reputable business, with a warranty on the engine. We got the engine started, and there was an incredibly loud and bad top end rattle. A compression test also showed that two cylinders were significantly lower than the others - about 125psi each, whilst theother two were 185psi. It was now I decided to take up the warranty issue with Just Jap.

I called them and told them about the problems I was having. They suggested that I add some additives to the engine, and tried to get me off the phone. I insisted they inspect the car, because we had already added a lot of additives. The engine had been flushed numerous times. They asked I bring the car down for their mechanic to inspect that the conversion had been carried out correctly. I did so, driving all the way to Kirrawee from Cremorne. Their mechanic down there even came for a test-drive in the car. He stated at the time that he was sure "it is a lifter problem...I've seen plenty of SR20s come in with the same problem". He told me to arrange a time to bring the car in next week, and that they would fix it.

At this time, in consultation with people who had been in a similar situation (see Magnet's post a few pages back in this thread) I tried to negotiate a replacement engine with Just Jap over the phone. My mechanic was of the opinion that even if they did replace the lifters, the engine is still worn and tired, and I should have a right to a new engine. The salesperson I spoke to flat out refused, saying that they reserved the right to replace the engine. The salesperson I spoke to also suggested I bring the car in for an inspection. Understandably, I was frustrated, as I had already done that the last week!

In the end, I asked to speak to the manager. He seemed very helpful and keen to resolve the situation amicably. Several days later I brought the car down. I arrived at about 10.30am in the morning, the earliest I could get there, and got the train back. Because I had brought it down 'late' in the day, I had to leave the car there for two days. This was not an issue with me, as I simply wanted it fixed properly.

The day after I received a call from the manager - the head had apparently been totally rebuilt. I queried exactly what, and he was scant on the parts and details. Nevertheless, he was again polite, so I thanked him and got the train down there the next morning to pick the car up.

Down there, I spoke to the manager and I think possibly the owner of the business. They were both helpful. I listened to the car, and it appeared very quiet when running. They didn't give me a receipt for the exact work carried out, and nor did I ask. They said they replaced head parts with "mint" ones from another second-hand engine. They said they did a pressure and leak-down test, and the engine is now in "mint" condition, and that the bottom-end was "perfect".

The first problem occurred on the drive home. They had not replaced the dizzy top-dead center and so the car was incredibly sluggish and flat spots everywhere. I visited my mechanic, and we adjusted the dizzy and timing. The car, for a short period of time, was running well.

The engine was now out of the one-month warranty offered for 'performance engines' sold by Just Jap.

Then, another rattle, not dissimilar to the one I had experienced prior to the "rebuild", became audible again. It is very loud from about 2000rpm onwards, and audible even at idle. Further, there is now a more sinister bottom-end knocking noise audible at idle. It sounds like a jackhammer. I actually thought I was driving past a building site at first, until I stopped at a set of lights.

I will not be dealing with Just Jap again. I intended to sell the car after finishing the engine swap, but the engine in the car now devalues it so much that I may as well keep it. I am dubious the rebuild has actually been carried out as stated. In short, it is stuffed - my mechanic confirms this. I don't expect it to last much longer, and I will have to foot the bill for another replacement engine and labour.

I have left out the additional costs in labor, petrol, and parts that I had to purchase in order to complete the swap. The financial cost overall is what hurts most - I am a student, who worked 35 hour weeks to fund the swap. I'm not a backyard mechanic, and I don't get things done by friends, so the cost is at standard mechanic's rates.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:57 pm 
Twin T78

Car: onEvia
holy shiz that was a long read

didn't another member off here have almost the exact same issue with justjap

shonky import engines, you never really know the condition until you fit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:15 pm 
Twin T66

As I was posting it in their feedback thread, and I'm very pissed off, I wanted it to be as coherent and honest as possible - hence I told the whole story, not parts of it.

Sorry for the long read.

The entire reason I purchased off them was because they were a business and they were supposedly reputable, with a warranty and so forth.

Magnet had the exact same experience, ironically he was the guy that did the wiring. They gave him a replacement engine though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:15 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
believe it or not ive spent a couple grand with justjap, they have my details on file and just charge out to my credie, funny thing is no matter how many times u spend money with them or buy stuff, they still try to fuck me around, not offering trade price and they generaly never deliever when they say they do, ive since stopped using them as its most of the time half the price as ebay items, yet still the same product. if u need another engine i know a guy who has alot of n/a silvia engines. between me and friends we have bought 4 engines, 1 has failed due to owner abuse. the others are going strong and had great compresion etc, price's are cheap. pm me if u wana know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

dude. that is disgustingly shit. im pretty interested to see what their response is to your post in their feedback thread. is there nothing you can do to recover any costs from them at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
I have been there countless times and have never been offered assistance.

Maybe i need to turn up in a 10 million HP GTR to get some service?

I know it sounds petty but it is the fundamental part of a customer based business. You need to look after the people that walk in your door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:44 pm 
Twin T66

Mr Bean: I will be in contact with you shortly via PM.

The thing is, if you talk to anyone that has dealt with them in-store, the accounts of poor customer service are rife. Only ONCE has a sales rep offered to help me when I was standing in there looking at stuff, out of the probable 15 times I've been there.

radism: Can you extract blood from a stone? :x They wouldn't give me another engine, or a refund - that is something which I did not mention in my account. They refused to refund me for the engine.

Serial Killa: Spot on. I've worked in retail, I know how it works. Sure, you might not like serving people, but it is your fucking job to do so. If it bothers you that much then you are in the wrong job, go work somewhere else where you don't have to deal with customers daily on a face-to-face sales level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:55 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

fuck. well the sandwich plate is my first and last buy from them. i will fight the need to approach them to the very end!
give SSS automotive a call. they had a lot of sr20's from what i saw when i went to them to get a replacement oil filter housing and they were very friendly and helpful and willing to give some advice. 9896 6111 or 9636 4301

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm 
Twin T66

radism wrote:
fuck. well the sandwich plate is my first and last buy from them. i will fight the need to approach them to the very end!

I had a similar problem in regards to the sandwich plate. The salesperson gave me the wrong one even though I specified repeatedly it was for an S13. The manager swapped me for the right one later on down the track, though I haven't tried to fit it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:10 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Everything I've heard about Just Jap is that they're absolute rubbish. They overcharge, and their products are shit. I hadn't heard about their bullshit service, but given the general shoddiness of everything else they do I shouldn't have been surprised.

They also highly recommend D2 / G4 coilovers, saying that they're up there with the best of the JDM brands. If that doesn't tell you that they don't know their arsehole from their ear hole but just want your money, I don't know what does.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:46 am 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
Hmm, I could be related to this incident .. when my autech chucked it 1 day after being installed. I bought the last s14 sr20 they had, one matched to the 5 speed. inspected it, paid for it.. according to car plates its from a 1998 s14. Got autosports to chuck it in, Just Jap charged me nothing for them to send it to them, it arrived the next morning on the exact date, Just jap then proceeded to ring me and tell me that the engine has arrived . So i got installed it. It runs quite fine, the only problems ive had is 1 missing screw on the TPS and faulty fuel regulator. I've never had a bad expierence from them , the only thing was the fuel regulator and the brown colour of the cams lack of oil? The sales person was sending some of his bullshit this way with trying to get me to buy the gearbox as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:16 pm 
Twin T51

Car: s13
i would clearly bash the bloke. i would never cop getting ripped :x thats me though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:35 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
nissanpower wrote:
didn't another member off here have almost the exact same issue with justjap

Yeah that was me, although there've been other people too.

Justcrap lost my business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:53 pm 
T28

Car: S13 Silvia
Bought from them in the past (a used afm and knock sensor for the old ca18)

but on the last occasion i dealt with them i had my partner call up to get pricing details for the engine conversion i did at the beginning of the year (i was busy doing other things) and JustJap treated her like an idiot and were very rude....

Ended up going to SSS Automotive, who treated her seriously and provided awesome customer service.

Their loss my gain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:56 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
My "as new" SR20DET lasted 2,243kms - the warranty was expired before I even got to drive the car, due to slow delivery, then the included clutch being dead.

Their response when I called to complain was basically of the "oh well that sucks" nature - although they offered to source me all the parts I needed to rebuild the engine for a "good price".

Just jap can take a big floppy donkey dick to the arse.