Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:35 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
the cops were not conclusive of that mate lol

and paul pussied out too :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:46 am 
T28

Car: 180sx Type-X
I got pulled over for going sideways through a round-about then sideways round the next corner by an unmarked car, there were no other cars on the road and he said he was going to impound my car, give me $2500 fine and take my licence for street racing. How was I racing with no other cars on the road? Wouldn't it just be neg-driving?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:09 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Street racing covers lot of of things, not just racing for slips. It's hardly neg driving when you meant to do it :)

They'll just try and scare you 90% of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:30 pm 
Twin T51

Car: S15 SILVIA
well i love the cops atm. i got let off speeding................. twice the limit :lol: :lol:

THANK YOU

Pro Concept = Where all my fuckups get fixed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:16 am 
T28

Car: 180sx Type-X
Yeah, I also got off for that one, musn't of wanted to do the paper work.

Back to the post.

I had to put up with going 20 under the limit again today, bloody infuriating. There was about a 30 car line up, for f@#k sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:39 am 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 1993 White (Pearl) 180sx
There's one I pass in Gateshead (Newcastle) most mornings... it's in a 60/40 zone (school zone), so I've been guilty of doing 40 when it's a 60 zone (though now they've put flashing lights on the school zone signs, otherwise I'm never 100% sure when it's school holidays, and apparently it's still 40 on pupil free days... so confusing)

Back to the point though, most people do pass that camera on or only slightly under the limit :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:48 am 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
I wonder if anyone did any research into this matter on if having a speed limit helps at all. Isnt some of the european countries dont have speed limits on some parts?

I slow down about 10km max just to be sure. And yeah I also got caught by police going way over the speed limit in george street going to near central station because I slept in when I was meant to pick up my gf from work. The cop was an inspector and he was by himself and he told me off and lectured me but at the end he let me off. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:15 am 
T04 Hybrid

Car: SW20 MR2
JIN S13 wrote:
I wonder if anyone did any research into this matter on if having a speed limit helps at all. Isnt some of the european countries dont have speed limits on some parts?

I slow down about 10km max just to be sure. And yeah I also got caught by police going way over the speed limit in george street going to near central station because I slept in when I was meant to pick up my gf from work. The cop was an inspector and he was by himself and he told me off and lectured me but at the end he let me off. :lol:

this was taken from http://www.roadsense.com.au

FACT 3 - No data from ABOVE the speed limit.

The justification for speed cameras is based on a lie.

The major road safety focus by most State Governments is a massive clampdown on traveling above set speed limits - almost to the visible exclusion of all other safety measures. The whole issue is about traveling over the speed limit, not under it. State Governments use a number of university studies as well as their own reports to justify speed camera legislation yet not a single study that we can find reports the number of road crashes that are caused through travel above the speed limit.

It is important to note that it is technically impossible for a speed camera to detect or deter travel below a speed limit.

It has become a serious and costly offence with the public paying hundreds of millions of dollars for traveling above set speed limits yet 98% of fatalities occur below the speed limit. Speed cameras are therefore no deterrent to driving too fast for the conditions but below the speed limit where the vast majority of crashes occur.

The reason for hiding the above the speed limit data is clearly that if it was quoted then any justification for speed cameras would be removed. For this reason data from below the speed limit is used when quoting road crash statistics for the purpose of justifying speed cameras. In the studies the words ABOVE and BELOW the speed limit are removed and substituted with words such as "Speeding" and "Non Speeding".

The leading document used by NSW for the justification of speed cameras is a prime example. It is called Speed Problem Definition and Countermeasure Summary. It claims, “speeding still accounts for around 40% of all fatal crashes in NSW" and carries on to state, "speeding can also involve traveling too fast for the prevailing conditions, despite traveling UNDER the posted speed limit.”

This means that road crash data from below the speed limit can be included in their definition of "speeding". This is false and misleading and Australians are suffering hardship because of laws and penalties based on these reports.

This lie could be accepted if it was saving lives - it is not. The opposite is happening and in fact the road toll is rising alarmingly in 50km/h zones. In effect the majority of speeding fatalities are caused by below-the-limit speeding.

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:39 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
Very interesting! Nice find dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:01 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
I have bitched about this many times, but my bitching falls on deaf ears....

The problem I have personally witnessed (on the M2 recently) is the lowering of the speed limit for the Lane cove tunnel to the tools, and from the tolls to the tunnel.

They have no reduced the speed limit from Epping Rd to the toll gates from 100km/h to 80km/h, and then about 2kms from the tunnel after the toll gates, they reduce the speed limit even further to 70km/h, and wack a speed camera at the mouth of the tunnel.

When I first traveled along it, there was 5 cars in the group with us, 3 in the left lane, and myself and another in the right lane, of course ignoring the new speed limit with the "it's bullshit" attitude.

No as we got to the mouth of the tunnel, we spotted the speed camera, and everyone suddenly hit the skids, unfortunately, the last guy in the left lane wasn't quite as awake as the others, and didn't go for the skids, and went right up the back of the car infront.

Now 'the powers' will argue he was 'speeding' therefore that was the cause of the accident, but if the camera wasn't there, or the limit wasn't changed for no visable reason, there wouldn't have been an accident.

I asked the M2 operators why the limit was changed, and why there is now a speed camera at the tunnel, the responce back was a complete ignorance for the speed limit question, but stating the RTA's policy of speed cameras IN tunnels as the reason for the speed camera. (Funny enough, they dont have that camera in the tunnel, but outside it at the entrance).

Either way, people that slow down for speed cameras and police vehicles drive me nuts, if your not breaking the limit, and your not guilty of driving illegally, why should you have to change your driving manner because there is suddently the eyes of the law within sight (I dont bother slowing down when a cop is close, and I use cruise control when passing speed cameras, but I set the controller at the speed limit, not 20km/h under it).

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:34 pm 

i thought the speed was lowered because the lanes werent as wide. they squeezed 3 lanes into the spot of 2 and a bit.

but yeah the camera there serves no purpose. wait a second, that means there would have had to be accidents within 100m of the camera many times for that camera to have been put there, same as the CCT and LCT cameras. but werent they in there before they were opened? must have been some fatalities of the workings building the roads and tunnels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:36 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

i agree with this. and the annoying thing is anyone who's in the car with me always tells me to get over it. its probably one of the most annoying things for me.
worse thing is, i have one on my street so i put up with it alot! and to add, its up hill so the slow to 30, and then take 10 years to get up the hill where it opens up to 2 lanes and i go past them usually at the speed limit. sometimes a bit over 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:49 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
haha
thats cause your hectic rad

btw is it true that all fixed speed cameras detect with pressure plates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:25 am 

no its not, but thats pretty funny!

the lines cut in the road 'sense' when the car passes over it, there are 3 lines with 'sensors' in them (maybe more on some). it takes your average speed within these lines (they are something like 20cm apart) to gauge your speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:34 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

so they do or dont detect with the sensor plates?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next