Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radar Detectors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:23 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: S ichigo Spec R
yo,
Are Radar Detectors allowed in Australia?, cuz i had a Valentine One radar dectector
basically they are about $1500AUD and damn accurate! though of using it here but "The Post Wh*re" :) told me they are not allowed.. :cry:

what will happen if i use it? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:39 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: Subaru Vortex XT Turbo
they give you nasty fines and confiscate your detector

i think there's some other deal if you refuse to surrender it

also there do have radar detector detectors

-- DumHed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:40 pm 
Quad T51

There is no such thing as an undetectable radar detector, I have read up on it.

There are big fines associated with using one on the road, over $1000 easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
told ya so :P

next time you will believe me

in WA they are legal, or so im told

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:43 pm 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
radar detecotrs and police scanners carry a 9 demerit point + i think $3000 fine, it is the worst offence you can do on the roads in regards to loosing points @ one time.

there is no such thing as a radar detector detector, basically, becasue you can detect cops radars, they can also detect yours. they work the same way. so pretty much you think you are not being detected, yet their radar is goin off telling them someone near has a radar in their car.

-mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:31 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 03 VY Commodore S2
Time to break out the rader detector detector detector. To detect if someone is detecting your rader detector. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:52 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
BLISTC wrote:
there is no such thing as a radar detector detector, basically, becasue you can detect cops radars, they can also detect yours. they work the same way. so pretty much you think you are not being detected, yet their radar is goin off telling them someone near has a radar in their car.

But radar detectors are passive devices, and work in the exact opposite way of a radar.

How does a radar go off telling them that there's another radio transmitter nearby, when a radar detector doesn't transmit anything?

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject: RD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:10 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: s15
Well Just to update , have had a beltronics detector and they are electronically undetectable unless your talking about the officer actually seeing it in the car which at there size is quite hard, have been past many a highway patrol car with it and had no drammas including lazer gun etc , very handy unit , and for around $600 delivered i think it is a good investment, it actually gives you up to 1km range 360 degrees which is around 15 seconds warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:52 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
yeah they are passive from what i read. i think there are radar 'jammers' that transmit something on the same frequency as the radar the cops use. they probably catagorise everything into illegal and detectable to scare people off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:52 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: S ichigo Spec R
shame as, In NZ its legal 8) - To go over speed limits is driver's own decision, the devise doesn't make you go faster lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:14 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
detectors wont get picked up, only ones with jammers do as they send a signal out as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Radar detectors are detectable. I should know, I learned the hard way. It was back in the mid 90s so there were no demerit points but it still cost over $1000 and the loss of a top of the line detector.

I was just puttering around the back streets of Manly in my stock N13 Pulsar Q and didn't need to have the detector on, but I did. Cop car coming in the other direction goes past then throws a U-turn and pulls me over. First thing the Cop said was "I have reason to believe you are using a radar detector".

He couldn't have seen it because it was a stealthy 2 piece unit with the antenna behind the grille and the display unit down beside the steering column. Because of the way it was installed (it took a couple of hours) I was given 14 days to surrender the unit.

I agree that the fines etc for having a radar detector are BS. The false alarms and general paranoia that detectors create usually slows you down. Police Radar techniques and equipment (not to mention lasers) are now so much better that even the best detectors give very little warning.

Radar jammers are only useful if you are in traffic. If you are alone on the road, a cop will figure out something is affecting his equipment ans the only thing around is you and your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:03 am 
T28 Hybrid

Quote:
Radar detectors are detectable. I should know, I learned the hard way. It was back in the mid 90s so there were no demerit points but it still cost over $1000 and the loss of a top of the line detector.

I was just puttering around the back streets of Manly in my stock N13 Pulsar Q and didn't need to have the detector on, but I did. Cop car coming in the other direction goes past then throws a U-turn and pulls me over. First thing the Cop said was "I have reason to believe you are using a radar detector".

He couldn't have seen it because it was a stealthy 2 piece unit with the antenna behind the grille and the display unit down beside the steering column

Sorry dude but im not surprised you got caught with it .......... hence the dinosaur which you were using , any unit that has a separate antenna mounting is not stealthy or compact hence it wont have the technology that has been around for a couple of years like EJT or SJT , those type of units that you are talking about would only be good in eastern european countries that still use the out of date banding for there laser guns and stationed radars which we have outdated years ago....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:11 am 
T28 Hybrid

i have to say also that having one in my car when i did it actually made me drive even slower than i already did cause the range was so good you knew when there was police radar up to 1km away and around the area i live and travel there are plenty around always so really they do have a good side to them , they certainly dont make you feel as if you can drive any faster and be safe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:15 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Walking... Sideways
A radar detector should not be illegal (although it is) because a there has to be a sign stating "speed camera in use"(NSW). So if the police are required by law to have the sign showing, shouldnt a device that states there are police near by be alloud?

its all about the money.... bloody government!!

Last edited by Gamer on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.