Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:14 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
ufoboy wrote:
ANDREW FROM IGNITION WILL BE THERE TO COVER THE DYNO DAY , so it should be a fun day out.
Why??? Not so keen to go any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
JayS14 wrote:
ufoboy wrote:
ANDREW FROM IGNITION WILL BE THERE TO COVER THE DYNO DAY , so it should be a fun day out.
Why??? Not so keen to go any more.

Yeah, sorry to say, but I'm thinkin the same thing :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:13 pm 
T28 Hybrid

sorry to say guys but yeh ignition will be there but he wont be there till around 8 or 9pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:24 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

wats wrong with ignition? i actually have no clue...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:51 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
ufoboy wrote:
HIGHEST OUTPUT (KW/L) Calculated

Why bother restricting it to kW/L instead of outright power?

That measurement's going to rule out NA cars anyway, so its not any "fairer" than outright power.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:22 pm 
T28 Hybrid

no it doesnt having out right power as winner then no one will have a chance . put it way if you have a corolla 1.6l engine and you pull 220kw and a SR20 comes in and pulls 260kw the corolla still has a chance at winning .

it comes down to who built there car right and how much money they put in. but calculating it as kw per litre will give others a chance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:33 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
ill bring my mates cappuccino. he is getting 120+kw from a 660cc motor :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:50 pm 
T28 Hybrid

thats would kill it
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:39 pm 
T78

Car: 180SX Kouki
ZEi20T wrote:
ill bring my mates cappuccino. he is getting 120+kw from a 660cc motor :P

Only girls and midget guys drive those cars! Zei.. you MUST take pics of you driving this car.. i need some new forum avatars & sigs...

Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:07 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Well... I went last night and didn't see anyone from here, but you didn't miss much.

They were doing dyno runs without an O2 sensor hooked up. A S14 or 15 I cant remember which did a full hard run and made like 232rwkw, they put the O2 sensor (first car I saw them use it on) in for the second run and it started leaning off at the end of the run.

I am watching the numbers rise and I am thinking ok they are going to abort this soon, nope they let it run through to 18:1. I didn't see anyone checking for pinging, and no cars were being hooked up to monitor boost.

I will let you draw your own conclusions... but for me compared to other recent dyno nights it was chalk and cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:21 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
182Go wrote:
I will let you draw your own conclusions... but for me compared to other recent dyno nights it was chalk and cheese.

Glad I didn't bother going then.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
im glad i saw transformers instead then lol

actually only 1 thing would have made me postpone that

hmm ok maybe 3 or 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:41 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
I was there briefly. They did stop a car (Ford) during a run due to pinging, but the pinging was audible from the other end of the workshop.
It seemed pretty disorganised, and they certainly weren't doing any diagnosis or other useful things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:00 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
all of this just confirms the many things I've heard about Bel garage.

thank god I don't know anyone who goes there anymore.

Justin...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:02 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Wow it doesn't take long for people to start complaining. I was there about 8-ish till they finished, and man there was quite a lot of people.

Anyway, in regards to post-dyno day concerns:

1. The no AFR situation - there was a few posts up about this prior to the dyno event, and as mentioned, AFR will only be put on upon request. Ditto complete details for each run. All you needed was to ask. Some guys wanted their names, etc on the printouts, and they gave them email addresses so they could PDF and send them later, so it wasn't that much of an issue. Some owners requested that their cars be PUSHED TO THE LIMIT, regardless of consequences, so its really up to them!

2. Pinging/lean out Silvia/Non-professionalism of the event - I saw 3 people man the dyno - 1 to run the car, 2 to strap the cars and check conditions (pinging, etc). I think they did whatever they could, considering how many people were there! One of the head mechanics were constantly running around each car to make sure everything would be OK. No car
blew up by accident. No one was hurt. Nobody complained for disturbences, and even the biggest dispute of the day (who wins, and why is a rotary 1.3L instead of the benchmark 2.6L imposed by the motorsport community) was settled on a good note. What's not professional?

Outcome of the day:
There was a rotary that pulled 313KW or something, and a bel customer's 180SX that pulled 350KW or something, all on 98ron. Since it was decided that the prize goes to highest KW/L, there were issues that arose. The rotary guy was adamant that his engine was a 1.3L! Lot's of NA boys came down for fun, and ran their cars even though they know they had no chance of winning, so what's to say about the whole "fairness" thing? If the owners of the cars are happy to give it a go, who's really complaining?

Anyway, tt the end, the two cars split the $500. One of the mechanics even put his own corolla on for fun as an attempt to destroy his motor. He managed to pull 180+KW before the motor let go, so it was a good show!

All in all, most people had fun, except some guys here that obviously had more to say about it here. Maybe they could contest for last place - which incidentally was a Mitsubishi van of some sort. He walked out with a prize too!

Note: Disclaimers were put up clearly stating that cars need to be in optimum running condition prior to running. If a car is leaning out, not running right, etc, then they go on at their own risk. Every entrant was given a disclaimer and conditions form prior, so everyone is aware of these conditions. As with all competitions, GO AT YOUR OWN RISK, because everyone else is.

In regards to this whole "I heard this and that" about BEL (and for that matter, other workshops), there can be 95 excellent satisfied customers, and 5 disgruntled ones - and all of the sudden, it's "unprofessional", "rip-off", or whatever. Happens to all workshops. In life, happens to all of us.

Workshops are businesses, and if they are really bad, it wouldn't last. Competition would put them out regardless. If any business has been established for a long time, it usually means that there are much more happy customers than disgruntled ones, so on average, work must be good!

I'd say that people should judge for themselves anyway, and your particular complaint could be something out of the ordinary. Keep that in mind when voicing complaints in future. If the complaint is genuine, why not settle it directly - people are generally able to do that with a little give and take.

Of course, there are complaints that arise out of nothing, because someone has heard something somewhere and therefore it must be true. It may be true for one incident, but that doesn't mean all other incidents are bad.

So if you guys are able to, resolve complaints directly if it concerns you directly. It is not your concern if it's not your issue - the other guy can solve it him/her self.

This is not in defense of BEL Garage. It is what's so, and the same mentality should be applied to ALL businesses. If you think you can do better than all these workshops/event holders/media/etc - you probably CAN'T. If you could, you would already have done so, and if it worked out real well with a 100% success rate, then you did well!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next