Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SR20VE Help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:28 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S14
I currently have in my possession a Sr20ve that I will be putting into a pulsar sss along with some other goodies. Just wondering if anyone here is a bit of an electronic genius that might be able to help me when I run into troubles. I will be using the stock de ecu with loom but buying a device from the USA which does triggers the VCT. Unfortunatly I am pretty useless when it comes to wires and things like that so I might need a hand if anyone is good at this sort of stuff.

It should be a fairly rare beast, I havent heard or seen one in NSW yet. I'm optimistic that 110fwkws will be fairly easily attained but only time will tell. I won't be doing it for at least a month though. I need to get the rest of the parts 1st.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:23 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
it shouldn't be too hard as long as the VE uses the same connectors and type of injectors, TPS, CAS etc.
The thing I'd be most worried about is the crank angle sensor / distributor.
If it's different you may be able to put the DE sensor in though.

Also, how's the VVL controlled? Is it just a solenoid?

I have the VTC on my blacktop engine controlled with a manual switch at the moment. It works ok, but with the VE you'll definitely need a proper controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:37 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
hmm dude the e-manage has vtech control which may be compatible with the nissan vtech thingo??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:16 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
and apexi has the VAFC, which is a vtec controller + air/fuel converter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:00 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

I'm not worried about any of the sensors and stuff, I know exactly what I need to replace with their de equivalents, to make it work with the de ecu.

Sorry dumhead i dont know what a solenoid is :lol: there is info on sr20forum.com but the site is down atm. ill try and get the info off there tomorrow when its up. I know it works on rpm levels though. Yes I am useless. :roll:

Normal Vtec controllers dont work apparently. I read on the internet (risky business i know) that they use a map sensor, as they are designed on Honda engines (which i assume are map sensor based). I don't know how a map sensor figures out rpm, then again maybe it changes timing based on flow of air?!? Also Nissans NeoVVL has 3 levels of cam timing whereas the orginal honda vtec only has 2. There are devices I can get, to do the job. I'm just a gumby with electronics so I wont know which wires go where. I have to give Unigroup a call tomorrow and properlly explain myself to them. They want me to go Autronic or Motec, both of which I imagine are outside of my 'home style' budget. The pricing on their TSI chip seemed much more appealing :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:51 am 
Takumi

I wouldn't bother with the TSI personally.

If you get them to do a normal daughterboard the ECU will handle it fine, and it'll be a lot cheaper.
Actually the ECU should be pretty good without any extra tuning - at least to begin with.
I'll see if I can find out more about how the VVL setup works, but it wouldn't be hard to build a basic controller for it - and it doesn't have to be connected to the ECU at all really.
It should be possible to use one of the shift light controllers to switch over the cam timing at the right points (it's definitely possible on mine, but the VE might be a little bit more complex)
As far as I'm aware the VE only has two cam settings like VTEC (it's essentially exactly the same design as VTEC, probably licenced from Honda). If so it should just be a matter of giving it a 12v signal when you want it to kick in.
The stock ECU for the VE, and the Honda VTEC controllers use airflow (MAP) signals, RPM, throttle position, etc to work out when it's best to switch cam profiles - not just at a certain RPM.
You'll lose a little bit of the factory drivability by going to an RPM only setup, but it really won't be a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:36 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

This is a great site that explains the differences between the various companies incarnations of VVT and VCT

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_scho ... /vvt_2.htm

Here is some info on creating devices that trigger the vtec, maybe it will make more sense to you

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=56943
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php ... adid=35830

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:16 pm 
Takumi

ahh yep, works how I expected.
There's a solenoid valve for each cam, which activates the bigger cam profile.
It's a 2 stage system, but by activating the exhaust and intake cams at different times it gives the effect of a 3 stage system.

If you used one of those RPM trigger switches, or a shift light controller to switch a relay controlling both solenoids you'll get the old style VTEC effect, with a big power kick.
If you use two separate RPM triggers to control the cams individually you'll be able to set it up so the intake cam kicks in earlier, giving a small power boost, then the exhaust cam can come in as well, giving full power - just like the factory setup.

You'd be able to do full cam control of both cams using two RPM triggers, which is pretty good considering I need two triggers to do proper control over the one variable cam on mine!
So if you want I'll give you a hand wiring it up, and we can buy all the bits at once to save dollars. I really should set mine up properly one of these days :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:27 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Yep thats how I want it setup :D

I'm just waiting to see what the guys say on sr20forums about where the connectors are. There are 4 strange connectors next to the rocker cover which i assume are the ones i need to connect into

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:34 pm 
Takumi

could be :)

the solenoids on all the other nissan engines I've looked at have a 2 pin connector almost the same as an injector on top.

There should be two of those on the VE - but they may have used quite a different system.
I had a look at some pics of VEs, but I can't see enough detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:19 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
the question has to be asked,why are you going to hold the VE back by using a std factory ecu,from a lesser engine?

wouldn't spending the cash on a proper adjustable unit be both easier,and more capable?

why headf**k yourself for no gains?

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:22 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: Subaru Vortex XT Turbo
they don't call him DumHed for nothing!

-- DumHed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:29 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
dumhed how do you trigger yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:55 pm 
Takumi

I reckon with the DE ecu, and maybe some re mapping or even a fuel controller it'd run well with minimum cost - and there's not the hassle of adapting the new engine's loom and ECU to the car.

That's why I used the S13 loom and ECU on my S14 engine (and hence don't have ECU controlled VTC).

My cam timing solenoid is controlled by a switch on the center console. I actually just leave it in the low rev position all the time. It makes more power in that setting up to about 6500rpm, and a gearchange at 6500 lands well in the power band so I generally don't bother revving any higher.
There should be a 10+kw gain available by running out to 7500 and using the high rev setting (so I'm talking over 180rwkw at ~8psi :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:20 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

fergo308 wrote:
the question has to be asked,why are you going to hold the VE back by using a std factory ecu,from a lesser engine?

wouldn't spending the cash on a proper adjustable unit be both easier,and more capable?

why headf**k yourself for no gains?

Justin...

I think only the expensive ecus will control the timing, and i dont have the $$ for those. I don't see why the de ecu won't work well for what I want, plus i dont have the hassle of cold start problems and shit. It will work, it's been done countless times in the states.