Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WRX
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:35 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: Still shopping
I dont know if this topic has already been started but I just test drove a 1998 WRX and it was awesome! Power delivery was so smooth and just right, sounded real nice too. It was completely stock except for a BOV which sounded very nice too. I'm seriously thinking of buying one instead of a GTi-R, the GTi-R is faster but the WRX was so nice to drive and felt of good quality not to mention looks much better. What do you guys think of WRXs? Should I get one or go for the GTi-R?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:09 am 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
shame on you for even mentioning the subie on these pages :evil: Only real subie is the vortex *nods*

Nissan 4 Life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:39 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
I've test driven an MY03 WRX, and I found it pretty poor. Certainly nowhere near the hype. One test drive was enough to ensure that I'll only ever buy one if I need a fastish family car, and I can't afford a Liberty, or an Accord Euro.

The power delivery is not smooth. The engine feels so laggy, but I'll admit that the turbo rush has its charm. The car felt like shit off boost - even worse than the auto MY01 RX I've driven - and although it does run higher boost than the MY98, apparently its not any laggier than previous generations.

The interior is pretty low rent too. Aside from the seats, the rest of the car betrays its econobox origins. Build quality of the Imprezas aren't too bad, of course, so that's OK.

I did love the grip, though. When I did give the car a bootful and up on boost, it went hard and stuck like shitstains on underwear. Can't say much for handling since I never got to give it heaps, but the car's got a bad on-tarmac reputation for being an understeerer.

I haven't driven a GTiR so I have no idea what its power delivery and interior are like, but the WRX is nothing to write home about. It might be good relative to a much older car, but its nothing special.

Looks are subjective, so on that its your call. For me, Imprezas have always been ugly. The GTiR's no centrefold either, but I was so unimpressed when I first saw one. They got uglier with the bug-eyes, and marginally better with the teardrop lights.

Try driving a factory S15 if you want an idea of what smooth turbo power delivery is like. For a car of the same age, the S14a will still be smoother than a modern WRX.

You'll probably get biased responses when asking for opinions on aWRX on a Silva forum, even if you didn't compare it against an SR20DET powered vehicle. :)

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:27 am 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
Smooth and the EJ20 Turbo dont go together in the same sentance :-?
Yes it feels faster because of the turbo rush, but for an everyday car used in traffic it will not be so fun.
I too test drove the MY01 and was not impressed by anything really, even the seats felt a bit 'crap'.
But if you like it then get what your happy with, I am not to sure what kind of answers your were expecting from a Silvia forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:37 pm 
Twin T78

Ive only been in one WRX.. Im biased because its probably the fasted car Ive been in... It had 30 grand thrown at it, so as you can imagine, it went pretty hard... As MYS15T and Scathing said, the interior is crap, but if you've got some cash to throw at it, that can always change... I dont have a clue about gti-r's... but if theyre better stock, and you arent planning to mod it a hell of a lot, go the gti-r. If u have a thing for subies *cough* get one *cough* Its up to you man... "subie, or not subie"

-Mitch

That's what she said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:17 pm 
T03 Hybrid

I don't know why everyone hates WRXs, I thought it was great. The interior was very poor but no poorer the GTi-R's. I've also test drove a series 1 S14 and I didn't like it at all, the WRX felt so much faster and tighter and sounded much better. I like the GTi-R but it's so old and parts will be hard to come by, the WRX is slower but more common and modern. I think this is a decision I'll have to make on my own, thanks for the feedback guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:34 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
If you want a 4WD turbo, and you can afford a much newer car that isn't a grey import, I'd recommend that one. It'll be less thrashed, parts will be easier to come by, and generally insurance will be easier to obtain.

Speaking for myself, I don't like WRXs because I've personally driven a brand new one, and I've personally driven cars that I feel are better for me. I don't have a dislike of the WRX because some guy on a forum (whose tastes might be completely different to mine) thinks so. I dislike them because I know they're not my kind of car.

The WRX is a popular and affordable car that appeals to the faster driver, so its not as if you can't get a wealth of parts to make it go pretty hard. This is, of course, if you can afford it. I can't afford to throw $30K into car modifications, so I prefer to work with a better base package and do less. You won't see those mods return too much value come sale time (unless you get lucky with a gullible buyer), so unless you hang on to all your stock parts and return the car to factory spec and sell the parts separately (a lot of effort, if you can find buyers for it all) its basically $30,000 you've pissed away.

Regardless, you're the one that has to look at it every time you walk out of your house, sit in it and drive it day in day out through our craptacular traffic conditions and road network, and point it out when someone asks which ride is yours. If you're happy with a WRX on your terms, more power to you.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:19 pm 
Twin T78

Scathing wrote:
I can't afford to throw $30K into car modifications, so I prefer to work with a better base package and do less.

That was kinda my point, go with the better base package unless the parts are cheap and common...

That's what she said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:32 pm 
T28

Car: S15
F6_Typhoon wrote:
I don't know why everyone hates WRXs, I thought it was great.

It seems as though you've made your mind up then. As Scathing said, you're the one who has to own up to it and drive it, so choose the one you like. It should be pretty obvious that everyone here will have bit of a bias towards the SR20, so I can't understand why you're surprised. You could always ask this question on a WRX forum and see what the response would be.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:41 pm 
T03 Hybrid

stickgc wrote:
You could always ask this question on a WRX forum and see what the response would be.

If I ask them then of course they're going to say WRXs are the best, I will have to test drive another GTi-R before I can make my decision. Thanks heaps guys! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:51 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: Subaru Vortex XT Turbo
The WRX was only built because Subaru needed a doomy speed machine (i guess they now have the Lib GT which i'm sure has some mod potential), and they only needed a doomy speed machine becuase the vortex was unpopular (they canned 'em right when the 255kw EG33TT engine was being tested in it), then made the SVX instead, but they made it auto only and it's look are again, mega ugly so also unpopular, then they gave up and hotted up the old RX Turbo into a rally competitor, ala WRX

-- DumHed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:19 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Good news, I've totally binned the WRX option because today, I looked at a Sierra Saphire Cosworth and it was absolutely AWESOME!! It had a new Cosworth engine which had only done 5,000kms and it was tuned to 280HP. This thing was a bloody animal, beautiful handling, tonnes of power and an unbeleivable engine that produced an awesome roar. Definately the best car I have ever been in. A bit pricey but I will probably do whatever I can to get one into my garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:44 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: None of your fucking business
dear god!! Please before you guy it.. ring around for a few spare parts for that car and see how many times you have to repeat the type of car and part..

they are rare..

sure it hauls arse but gettign parts for them... forget about it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:16 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Supercharged VS Ute PLZ Don't Hold It Against Me!
Have you thought of a Liberty RS Turbo? They are little beasts I personally prefer them over a WRX yet they are abit older so you have to watch what your buying. Also you have to watch out it isnt a GX converted to a RS Turb. Just another thought it your after a AWD Turbo cos these things hammer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:21 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: None of your fucking business
I've had an RS turbo.
not bad..

but if you are going to go to something that old, you might as well buy my VR4.
It's quicker than my RS ever was and the driveline is a shit load stronger.