Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:22 am 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
alright guys,
im about to start shopping around for a daily driver and something a little but more practical and ' useful ' for my daily needs, the 180 needs to retire its days road registed and start its new life as a track warrior,
ultimatly i want something that can tow a car trailer well, something i can do a little offroading in ( not talking abt serious 4x4ing ) i dont want a huge 4x4 and id much prefer a 4 door, after doing a little shopping around online ( and ill be out and about actually having a close look at some shortly ) iv decided a toyota surf or a nissan pathfinder will suit what i need out of a daily driver well,

now im an apsolute 4x4 ammiture/noob i honoustly dont know alot about them was kinda hoping we had someone on the forums that was more switch on with 4x4s and or someone who has owned either that can rate them,

im leaning toward a 3.0ltr turbo diesl surf more then the pathfinder but any advice or tips would be much apreciated cheers...

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:09 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Pathy has local support,Surf doesn't. That makes a difference when you're in the bush and something breaks.

the Surfs are known for cracking cylinder heads. Other than that,most of it is the same as the local 4Runner,fairly reliable,but they ARE prety old now,so don't expect much to be perfect.

I assume you're looking at the R50 Pathfinder? The V6 models run a VG33,a bigger version of the Z32's boat anchor powerplant. They're faily reliable,and not a lot breaks on them from memory. Keep the servicing up though,as pulling those engines out is a prick of a job.

Don't even think about the older boxy model.
The nightmares I used to have about those from my last dealings with one over a year ago have only just now been replaced by other dramas...

I'd personally save the coin and go for something newer,or get a landcruiser. Yes they're bigger,but the design is also bulletproof,and parts are everywhere.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:21 pm 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
yea the pathy i was looking at was a 2000 model, and thanks for the feedback much apreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silbeer and OneEighty wife mobile
be sure to look up their towing capacity if you plan on towing a car trailer.
You will have to count on 800KG odd for the car trailer itself and then another 1100 KG for your 180. so 1900 - 2000 KG all up. Pretty sure the Surf can't tow that.

I was going through this myself and ended up getting an BA XR8. Better to drive than a 4x4 and can tow 2300KG if Auto. ( manuals are limited to 1600KG )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Just an FYI,the towing capacity of the R51 Pathy is 3tonne.

Justin...