Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New bike - which one???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:57 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Hi Guys,

I know a few of you ride on here so I am looking for a bit of advice on a new bike.

On the weekend I went down to Yamaha and went for a test ride on the FZ1S. Thought it was a bit on the boring side and was a little too upright for my liking.

So I took a R1 for a test ride much better felt and sounded a lot more like a bike should.

Next weekend I am going to take the Kawasaki ZX-10R for a test ride. Also considering the GSX-R and the CBR.

Anyone got any experience or comment on the current crop of supersports?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:51 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
a friend of the family has teh current model zx-14. 2 word's : fucking fast! not much else i can say, i was packing shit the entire time on it lol.... very light aswell considering the capacity,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:14 pm 
Token Old Guy

I think any of the 4 bikes I am looking at will fi into that catagory :lol:

They all seem to be around the same price range (give or take a few grand) and specs like weight and brakes are similar, so I am looking for something to set them apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:59 pm 
Twin T51

Car: S13 K
Maybe check servicing schedule/costs to try and differentiate them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:32 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget

???

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:01 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
that's crap,where's the basket?

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:16 pm 
Retard

Car: Sileighty
And that basket had better have the fake flowers stuck to it, too. And you forgot the tassles on the handlebars.

What sort of riding are you planning on doing Paul? A 10R doesn't do mac pass very well, with a 600 kicking the crap out of it. However along the stretch to albion park from the base of the pass, then 10R rapes the 600. Horses for courses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:57 pm 
T25

Car: S15
Havent ridden them, just sat on them as Im learner :P But based purely on that and what my friends tell me from their bikes, the new GSXR600 seems pretty hot atm.

Just from sitting, the R6 was uncomfortable, as was the Ninja600, Daytona feels racy and ok but I think my back will get sore real quick. All the Hondas feel super comfy but I hate Honda :D

Ducati 848? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:37 pm 
Token Old Guy

Ark mostly daily commute of a few klms to work but I want something to scratch that itch when the urge arises. As I said the found the FZ1S boring so I need something with grunt to scare the poo out of me.

I actually didn't find the R1 all that scary, but then again it only had 20 klms on the clock and I wasn't planning on visiting wheel standing teritory on a bike with so few klms even if it's not mine.

Modern bikes are so well balanced and lighter than what I have ridden previously, they almost ride like a smaller bike.

Pak I spoke with the guys at Yamaha and the said the R6 was a far lesser bike then the R1 especially since there is only a grand difference in price, in that it was more tempremental in the way you have to ride it.

Taking the Ninja for a ride tomorrow, but from the quick two second sit on it, I actually like the way it felt especially the way your legs hug the tank more. Be interesting to see how I feel after the ride.

Thought about the Ducati and even a Harley but I dont think the Harley would do my back any favours sitting so upright, especially after I fractured a vertabrae in my lower back in the accident in the 180 last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:33 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I don't ride bikes,and even I know that harleys are rubbish.

they're the GT falcon of the bike world. old school crap that should of been forgotten about a LONG time ago,but dubious cult status has kept them alive.

from what I've been told about ducks,you want to be pretty hands-on if you own one,as you'll be working on it as much as you'll be riding it.

Just like cars,JDM FTW.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 pm 
T66

Car: 180sx
Also, my understanding that the gears and accessories (helmet, jackets, etc) associated with bikes get really expensive, so that is a factor you may like to consider when you make-up your final mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:14 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: RWD Galant VR4
I haven't ridden the latest models but thanks to trusty friends I've ridden CBR/ZX/GSXR/R1s a fair bit, all the litre models, all 05/06

On paper, they're very similar buit to ride they really are worlds apart.

In my opinion, and summed up basically

CBR - Best of the bunch in my opinion. Rock solid chassis/grip, beautifully smooth power delivery, one of those bikes where you don't have to think, it just happens

ZX10 - Flatmate has one, not a fan of the front end styling. Turns very well, engine is very powerful and agressive. Power delivery makes it a battle to get the best out of it without consistently lifting the front or spinning the rear, least not without suspension mods. Hardest to ride quick of the bunch.

GSXR - Simply brilliant engine. Extremely torquey, fantastic top end rush, smooth power delivery. Gearbox is best of the bunch. I put the GSXR just below the CBR only because despite the excellent handling, it just doesn't feel as planted as the CBR. Apparently the front of the frame can be a weak point if you like wheelies too.

R1 - Very similar to the CBR, but 'not quite'.95% as good, but the CBR is just that bit better.

Order of preference for me would be CBR, R1, GSXR, ZX10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:32 pm 
Token Old Guy

Ok well I got to test a few more bikes out on the weekend.

First I took the ZX10-R out found it much more street able then the R1. Just seemed like a far more nimble bike in the steering department and since dodging pot holes is a high priority in Sydney that was definitely in its favour.

Seat was probably a little more uncomfortable then the R1, but with the tank pulled in towards the back you could move both sides of the bike a little easier to get the weight over.

Centre of gravity was marginally higher; mirrors vibrated less and were better positioned than the R1 but were a little bit too small for my liking.
Power was lacking a tiny bit down low because the demo bike had some fancy performance exhaust put on it which removed the factory valve that produces better lower end torque, but still thought it was up there with the R1 off the mark.

Little hard to compare some aspects due to the limited klms on the R1 (20klms when I rode it, vs 1700 on the ZX) the clutch and gearbox and rear brake felt better on the ZX by far but this may be due to having more time to bed in.

Turning circle on both was pretty ordinarily and nothing to write home about but that is par for the course with this type of bike.

The R1 got quite warm around the lower legs when sat at traffic lights, Yamaha are known for running hotter. I asked the guy how much of this would go once it was run in and he said not much that’s the way they are.

I rode the R1 again after I rode the ZX to get a direct comparison on the day, I think the R1 would be more stable at ultra high speeds, but majority of my riding will be to and from work. So I left there thinking the ZX was the better bike of the two for me.

Next I rode a brand new GSX1000R guy had to take it around the block to put 2 klms on it; seemed to fit between the first two bikes in nimbleness. Rear brakes were fairly ordinary but never having been heat cycled; I really didn’t expect miracles from them but pretty much on par with the R1 that only had a few klms on it.

I found it really hard to get comfortable on the bike for some reason; it was like I had to sit right over the tank regardless if I want to or not, where as the other two gave me an option of sitting back. Maybe that could be sorted with peg position not sure.

The tank felt a bit awkward like I couldn’t wrap my legs around it and get comfortable. On the plus side the gears and the clutch felt light and well controlled straight away and the pressure on the gear lever to change gears was light and pleasing.

Turning circle was no smaller but I think the higher bar position made the turn smoother. I think the Suzuki engine was smoother revving then the other two and probably quicker to rev but a tiny bit down on power.

A quick ride with no hands to feel the balance I thought the GSX was marginal off centre somewhere, the ZX was the best balanced of the lot, felt like a push bike light and easily kept upright and the R1 was also well balanced in that department.

Another plus for the GSX was the seat height was lower making it easier to get my feet down but the peg position meant that you had to put your feet either in front or behind the pegs to put my feet down flat.

I like that it also has three different engine maps (only used the 100% one for the ride) all up it seemed like a well balanced package but I would still lean marginally towards the ZX.

I also took a KTM RU8? for a quick ride (KTM’s first attempt at a sports bike) loved the Brembo front brakes, back brakes were very ordinary and it was very nimble in the steering department, plenty of plastic to save weight including the tank.

Felt like a typical KTM, road bike meets dirt bike. Didn’t like the V Twin engine at all it was rough and seemed lacking. When I got back the guy was surprised because he said they make big power but obviously it wasn’t in the rev bracket I was riding and I took it down the freeway at Hornsby.

The guys had taken it out to the track several times so it must make big power right up top; maybe it was deceptive because I could have sworn I heard the rear tire chirp when I took off from a corner once.

Still for an extra 10k I couldn’t justify spending the money. I think it would be a great track bike but it felt a bit unrefined for a long or high speed trip on the street.

Ok so I only have the CBR left to ride, I don’t think I will bother with the Ducati or the other exotic bikes too much to service them. So once I have ridden that it comes down to who is going to do the best deal.

Mr Silvia: already allocated $2 -$2.5k for riding gear. I plan to buy the good stuff if I am going to buy a bike that approaches warp speed (strictly for track days of course :) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:40 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 200sx s14a
i would go the gsx-r 750 there a nice looking bike...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:47 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
im pretty sure i seen you standing in the bike shop at the top of fuller's road, chatswood yesterday...