Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:02 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: s13 Q's
http://www.audiosignal.co.uk/McLarenF1.html

Just been reading through this excerpt, which details what the Mclaren guys went through when designing the suspension/chassis for their infamous Mclaren F1.

I wonder if the nissan guys put as much effort is designing our much loved s13's?

Plus the dream car thread got me thinking, what do you think it takes to make a good handling road car? hmmm.

GTR's/M3's aren't exactly light weight. Most hot hatches use a torsion beam rear end and recently they are getting porky as well.

optimal suspension geometry?
ideal weight distribution?
light weight?
voodoo magic?
shear luck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:36 am 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
All those aspects that u mentioned but also the driver itself being able to use his tool to the max and know the limit on how far he or she can push the car. U could have the best car in the world but if u are only able to use only 5% of car potential and capacity its useless to u than.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:22 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Its ironic, since the McLaren F1 has been panned for handling quite badly (in modern terms). At speed, which the car easy reaches, the front end goes all vague and at high speed it gets quite unstable.

What I think makes a good handling road car is a car that does what you tell it to, when you tell it to, and little else. That means that the car isn't necessarily super direct, since those cars also tend to tramline and get knocked off course by bumps, but it also rules out your average family hack where turning the wheel seems more a suggestion than a command.

What I look for in a good handling road car is a car that, at its limits, will gently understeer on constant throttle / gentle acceleration (the front should let go a fraction of a second before the back does, but the front should always let go faster) and goes a more neutral when you lift off. It should also have given warning when its reaching the limit of grip, so the understeer comes on gently rather than going from total grip to plough understeer.

That way you can easily approach and find the limits, which have plenty of warning, and it can be brought back on line either by winding on a touch of lock and holding the throttle steady, or lifting off the throttle.

It should also absorb bumps so you're not constantly fidgeting with the wheel and pedals to keep it on-line. This will kill a certain amount of steering and throttle response, but at the same time it means you don't have to drive at ten tenths all the time.

Note: this car won't exactly handle perfectlyu on the track, but that wasn't the question. :)

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:23 am 
T88 Hybrid

The problem is if there is car that can do all that, races would be fairly one sided. I think there are limitations for all cars and makes and as much as we owuld like to push the car and make it do its max performance I seriously dont think it can do it as something will give......

Thats why I think all the F1 players spend so much money to try to achieve that but really i think newer cars these days would have less driver input and I think it will contiue like that.

Thats my two cent worth.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:05 am 
T88

Car: Silvia S13
hmm...IMO...a good handling car should have good "bum-to-seat" feel...i've never been one for luxurious cars tho, has to be predictable

a good handling on the road is a nice responsive car (not power so much as handling), turns in hard and sharp, point it in a corner, i would expect it to power through and sit relatively flat and stay stuck, stops hard but balanced, rides well but firm, sticks to the road sort of thing...and the handling needs to go hand in hand with the amount of power the car makes too...a good handing slow car will always feel better to drive than a high powered car that has floating tendencies or understeer etc...

Quote:
I like to drive the car, not look at lines on paper :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:21 am 
T88 Hybrid

so in laymans term u mean be in control of things right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:28 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
Dont underestimate the difference a good set of tyres can do for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:33 am 
T88 Hybrid

tell me about it. I slid off the road twice near port stephens in wet weather conditions because my tyres was worn and had no grip. Thank god there was no serious damage, but than I had to hitch a ride with a mate!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:40 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
I never scrimp on tyres.

While I can never afford to buy top of the line (i.e. Michelin Pilot Sports), I also avoid the cheap and nasty stuff.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost