Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From RWD to AWD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:12 pm 
T03

Car: Sil80
Hey all,
I recently sold my Sil80 to TMB, I hear he's doing real well with tuning it. I sold it because I've moved overseas, now I have myself an Evo 9 MR. The fuel here isn't very good here in Cali, it's top grade fuel is equivalent to aussi 95-96RON. Although you can get 100RON unleaded, but it's priced at 6USD a gallon.

So the Evo is a bit boring at low speeds, u really have to get it going to give u some excitement, I mean something like 100km/h+ through corners will get your senses twitching. But it does mean you get from A to B quicker if there were bends. I still miss having the sil80 for tail out fun, can't do that in the Evo :(

Here's my RR Evo 9 MR

Post subject: Re: From RWD to AWD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
ex_zero wrote:
Hey all,
I recently sold my Sil80 to TMB, I hear he's doing real well with tuning it. I sold it because I've moved overseas, now I have myself an Evo 9 MR. The fuel here isn't very good here in Cali, it's top grade fuel is equivalent to aussi 95-96RON. Although you can get 100RON unleaded, but it's priced at 6USD a gallon.

So the Evo is a bit boring at low speeds, u really have to get it going to give u some excitement, I mean something like 100km/h+ through corners will get your senses twitching. But it does mean you get from A to B quicker if there were bends. I still miss having the sil80 for tail out fun, can't do that in the Evo :(

Here's my RR Evo 9 MR

What a rip off (for the U.S prices) and a U.S gallon isn't even 4 litres, nice EVO though, they are one sexy car.

Post subject: Re: From RWD to AWD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:43 pm 

Car: MKV Golf
182Go wrote:
nice EVO though, they are one sexy car.

Even in LHD! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:24 pm 
Twin T51

Car: S15 SILVIA
That looks awesome man, good work!

Pro Concept = Where all my fuckups get fixed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:41 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
the oh-so-common lament of the ex FR turbo owner who's 'upgraded' to a 4WD.

yeah,they're faster. they're boring as fuck though. it all depends on what you want to do I guess. be the fastest in the car that drives itself,or be involved in the process and have fun in something more analogue and RWD.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:47 pm 
T03

thanks! You would hate to see the back though, it doesn't have the air guides like JDM/AU/UK bumpers, the US requires a "5mph" crash bar that requires fitment of a different bumper >< . Yeh, the price for 100RON is expensive, but petrol here for the equivalent of 95-96RON is 2.86USD per gallon, which is around 90c/L in AUD, which isn't bad, I paid 40AUD for my first fill, which was 11.5gallons, or 46L, so it's not expensive, but when you do want to push the boost up, with the Evo's, you can have a Re-flash that with which you hook your laptop with software and a cable that you buy, you can switch between 2 maps and make adjustments on the fly, so you can have a 91 octane map(R+M/2) and a 100 octane map(RON) which is what I'm thinking of doing further down the track. Bummer being, in San Diego, there is no one that tunes cars, all the tuners are in L.A. or San Francisco, so for me, its a 2hr drive to tune ><

Back of Car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:03 pm 
T03

Yeh, you can't really get an S15 new, or at all here though. You can get 240sx's and what not, but your looking to change the motor since they have the KA24DE donks. I wanted a new car with a turbo, the only other options were none turbo RWD cars like the 350z or the G35's, but power up options are limited, bolt-on turbos are available, but being a newer car, turbo bolt-on to an N/A car almost certainly voids warranties, where as Stage 1 and 2 kits for turbo cars are legal (Dont question me on the Stage 1 and 2 kits yet, I have yet to fully grasp the whole thing here in the US) as long as they are CARB approved gear.

I love boost more than the type of car, so to me, a car had to be turbo for power potential. Don't get me wrong, I haven't crossed over to the AWD side of the debate. I love the Evo cuz it's boosted, but cars are cheap here and when I have the available funds, I will definitely be getting a 240sx with the SR20DET swap-in and mod that to drift at track events only.

Oh and if you have ever seen the state of the roads in america, you'd want to /cry, in the Evo driving to L.A. on New Years, even with the Recaro seats with it being a lil softer than my Bride seats in the sil, my butt was shot from being hammered by all the gutter ball size pot holes and uneven freeways you've ever seen. You wouldn't want take a car setup for drift on the freeway, you'll either:

1. Have your head slam on the roof by so many irregularities on the road;
2. spin cause you'll probably get airborne on one;
3. drive so slow you couldn't overtake a truck

Bah, too long a post, if you read through all of that, you must be bored, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
Nice car man and hope u have alot of fun playing around with it in the straight!!! Yeah but I think people know I have a thing about evos........ :lol:

Post subject: car
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:57 pm 
T78

Car: s14a
nice car man looks hot bummer bout the fuel and travel for a tune

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 pm 
Token Old Guy

I was always under the impression that the U.S had good roads, no so.
If I bought a 240sx and was going to yank the KA24DE I think I would opt for an RB replacement since everything has to be converted anyway. Apperently putting Chevs in them is a U.S trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:47 pm 
T03

If I have my camera out while Im driving, i'll have someone take pictures of how bad the roads are. And yeah there are RB conversion swaps, but considering that a SR20 swap costs 3k for the Red/Black top SR's that came in the Silvias/180sx's with the non-vvt cams, around 3.5k for the vvt ones that came in the aussie S14's, then 4k for the SR20's in the S15's (all USD mind u), it costs 7-8k install for the RB25's (don't quote me on the Exact figures, those are rough estimates based on looking around), which is more than the actual car here, lol. Then, well, the RB26's, you could get for a new car here, WITHOUT install. JDM things just cost too much here in the US, I dunno why, maybe shipping is expensive as its not as close as australia is to japan(?), which is why most people will prefer to go the American branded route as its mostly cheaper, i.e. I priced a set of exhausts, cat backs are around 400-700 for american brands, JDM costs anywhere from 700-2k for units like the HKS or Greddy Exhausts depending on model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:07 pm 
Token Old Guy

I know it is against the trend here but I actually went with a U.S based muffler. I bought one of the Aero series Hooker Header mufflers. They are a super heavy duty construction and are realistically priced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:38 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
JDM parts are more expensive in the US because of two main factors:
*less grey imported vehicles and wreckers compared to Australia.
*mental attitude. with so many other things,americans will force down prices by their market share alone. not so with 'JDM' parts. people will happily pay 8 times the japanese going price for second hand gear,as it's a genuine part,that gives them more 'street cred'.
I've bid for stuff on ebay that started at $50 and got up to $550 because americans want the gear so badly,and are prepared to pay the premium.
needless to say I didn't win.
a factory S14 rear spoiler,a couple of badges,a front grille... stuff that's easy to come by,but for some reason,not so in the largest capitalist nation in the world.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:44 pm 
Token Old Guy

We have all seen the fast and the furious... you have to have the name brand stuff :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:59 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
brands dont neccessarily have to match up parts either.
should weld up some pipe and slap a "motec system exhaust" badge on it and see what it fetches.