Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back up car
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:29 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: Nissan silvia s13
Dear all,

I guess sooner or later this was going to happen. I parked my car in the shoppoing centre so that I could go to work and normally i park it in a corner somewhere where it isnt so visble but this occasion I had to park somewhere else because they were painting that area. Anyways when I came back to the car there was a large scatch mark on the back panel........... :cry:

It got me thinking that perhaps I may have to soon get a back up car, of course the mods at the moment is not that extensive but once everything is done than I would have to consider it. I was thinking of getting a honda civic si.

What do other people drive? Also, another influence has been charles from autosalon having a backup car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:25 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 200sx s14
why dont you just buya cheap ass charade. Its pretty well built and would save you alot of petrol. All you need is a lemon that can get you from A to B safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:46 am 
T28 Hybrid

ouch about the damage,
i got a n15 but charade, pulsars, yaris, any old car that is a manual should be good, its only gotta get u to a n b 5 days a week :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:01 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 2 x silvia, mountain bike
my mrs has one of these, i know the honda guys like them but i think theyre pretty average. Its not very powerful and the interior is pretty ave. I would suggest something with a little bit more power but still fun to drive. maybe a mx5 if u can get away with a 2 door 2 seater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:45 am 
T88 Hybrid

Unfortantely mx 5 doesnt do it for me.......... Also, the price range may be abit too high for me as a backup car. I was thinking of also maybe as another choice to have a motorbike instead, but than again the weather and so on......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:23 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
By the time you cost it all up and then look at the effect of the shopping trolley dings on your resale you may as well keep driving the sil as your daily.

Just remember you have the cost of the second car, as well as insurance, repairs and rego for 2 cars.

And then there's always the option of repair and respray before sale or just paintless dent repairs if you are doing it on the cheap.

Can't say it isn't nice having a run about though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
Thats all well and good from a financial point of view dave, however there are people that dont want their car damaged because they dont want a damaged car :lol:

Add in the theft insurance you get from a daily hack, and it can work out alot cheaper.

eg. comprehensive insurance for my 180 is $2770. A cheapshit R31 is $1500 tops. Add in $1000 for rego, CTP and TPP, and youre STILL in front over just paying comp. insurance on the good car.
In addition, you dont get your good car scratched or stolen. If something breaks and your car is off the road, theres no pressure because youve got another car still. And if your car is involved in a smash, its generally cheaper to build your car into a new one (how much can you get complied shells for? I saw one for $500!), then it is to claim on insurance ($2770+all those excesses = cheap running CA 180!)

Manual R31 skylines are fantastic fun - RB30 power is more then enough to massacre n00bs. S13 suspension parts are all bolt ons, and theyre so cheap you dont care if someone smashes into it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:57 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
So your saying that if you bought a hack you wouldn't insure the good car? Like fuck.

Thats still 3k you won't save on resale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:48 am 
T88 Hybrid

Its really the fact that it puts u off and just makes u parnoid about things. If u have a back up car it gives u the piece of mind that when u come back from daily duties that its not your first choice car that is damaged but the second. As for me in regards to insurance I only have third party that extend to fire and theft.