Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The GT-R of Hondas?
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:37 pm 
T25

Car: N/A
Not quite, its actually called the NSX-R GT, and it was developed by Honda Japan. It uses the same 3.2 litre donk out of the stock NSX but costs an amazing 470 thousand USD, something like 600k in aus. One helluva price tag for a vehicle not as amazing. links r here :):

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2005@$Hon ... 20GTx.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:02 am 
Token Black Guy

Car: 95 180
I need new underwear. Thats fscking gorgeous.

Always had a soft spot for the NSX. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:10 am 

Car: MKV Golf
That does look pretty sweet.

Not 100% sure about the air scoop though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:12 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
WOW!! that IS nice

yes the scoop is kinda F1ish, and i dont like it either. the rest of the car is sexy tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:41 am 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
god damn popup galore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:47 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
If the air scoop wasn't rice I'd like it.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:23 pm 
T25

Yes i must admitt that the only quirk the car has is the air scoop, although it does serve its purpose since the motor is situated right behind the glass. Dunno what honda were thinking with that one, but it sure is a different approach. looks like a snorkel off those old landcruises if u ask me :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:52 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

StrawberryFace wrote:
The only quirk the car has is the air scoop, although it does serve its purpose since the motor is situated right behind the glass.

Dunno what honda were thinking with that one, but it sure is a different approach

What Honda was "thinking" with that one was how to ensure that their best street-going NSX has the rice quotient that their marketing department requires.

According to the articles I've read, that scoop doesn't feed into an air intake or anything (unlike the JGTC cars the snorkel design is borrowed from, that actually use it to feed the air intake). I don't know if it just flows air into the engine bay or terminates, but since the NSX has never had heat issues its not like it brings any benefits to the vehicle. The engine is identical to the NSX-R, which didn't need it before and is making no more power.

So what you've got is something that adds aerodynamic drag without acting as a ram-air intake or provide any needed cooling. If your idea of its "purpose" is to do something mechanically useful, then you'd be dead wrong. If you think the "purpose" is to have something ricey, then you're spot on the money.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:28 pm 
T25

Car: S15
yeah thats hot dnt like the scoop too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:39 pm 
T25

Scathing wrote:
StrawberryFace wrote:
The only quirk the car has is the air scoop, although it does serve its purpose since the motor is situated right behind the glass.

Dunno what honda were thinking with that one, but it sure is a different approach

What Honda was "thinking" with that one was how to ensure that their best street-going NSX has the rice quotient that their marketing department requires.

According to the articles I've read, that scoop doesn't feed into an air intake or anything (unlike the JGTC cars the snorkel design is borrowed from, that actually use it to feed the air intake). I don't know if it just flows air into the engine bay or terminates, but since the NSX has never had heat issues its not like it brings any benefits to the vehicle. The engine is identical to the NSX-R, which didn't need it before and is making no more power.

So what you've got is something that adds aerodynamic drag without acting as a ram-air intake or provide any needed cooling. If your idea of its "purpose" is to do something mechanically useful, then you'd be dead wrong. If you think the "purpose" is to have something ricey, then you're spot on the money.

Dont get me wrong or anything, i know you mean good, but, dont you think that honda would of put that on there for a reason. After all it is the most radical and most expensive car ever developed by honda, and i dont think they would make the mistake of puting a totally useless item on a 600k car just to "rice it up"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:39 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

StrawberryFace wrote:
Dont get me wrong or anything, i know you mean good, but, dont you think that honda would of put that on there for a reason. After all it is the most radical and most expensive car ever developed by honda, and i dont think they would make the mistake of puting a totally useless item on a 600k car just to "rice it up"

Considering most of the "Mugen" models in Japan only differ from their Honda counterparts by bodykit and a louder exhaust (that makes no difference to power output), no I don't think that just because Honda stuck it there that it serves a mechanical purpose. They have a track record of ricing stuff up.

I'm not saying the NSX-R isn't a much better car than the NSX, but the "GT" addition seems to be little different to the S15 "GT" models Nissan Australia released (with crap leather, badges and a bigger wing).

I just did some more Googling - the intake just feeds into the engine bay for "more cooling". It doesn't feed a specific fluid cooler; it just ducts air in to the top of the engine bay. Nor have they tuned the engine to run a little harder and hotter, and utilise this extra cooling (since it makes the same amount of power and torque).

My question stands; how many NSX-R's have had overheating problems to justify sticking an extra piece of aerodynamic drag on the car? As far as I'm aware, Honda built the thing right the first time when it comes to heat management.

If they wanted to do something "radical" and to reflect their JGTC success, they could build the NSX-R GT closer to the GT500 car and put twin turbos on it. Even if the snorkel didn't directly feed the engine intake or some kind of heat exchanger at that point, with the extra heat generated from the twin turbos, extra cooling in the entire engine bay might actually be needed.

But no, they just stuck to the tried-and-true conventions of slapping some carbon fibre exterior bits on an existing car and getting the parasites in the marketing department to do the rest of the car's "development".

For the last hurrah of an iconic flagship sports car, its no Nismo R34 GT-R Z-Tune by any stretch.

This NSX-R GT about as "radical" as a standard NSX-R with a Veilside kit, and expense is only tangentally related to performance. The cheaper S15 Spec-S was faster down the strip than the Spec-R.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:32 am 
T25

Car: VL calais
anyone seen the TOPEND NSX part of Grip volume 4 DVD. 11 cicuit spec cars racing on highways in japan.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol: