Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:52 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Lexus has unveiled the latest in hi-tech safety advances – a car that takes over the steering from the driver.

VDiM (vehicle dynamics integrated management) utilises the vehicle's braking and stability functions and includes active steering input to help manage understeer and split traction – where one pair of wheels (left or right) have varying degrees of traction. "In terms of technical progress, it is one of the largest steps we have made in a single Lexus model," GS chief engineer Shigatoshi Miyoshi says.

In simplistic terms, the VDiM helps correct the common driver fault of turning the steering wheel too sharply in an understeer situation. When this happens the front wheels lose grip and the car pushes on through the turn. To counter this, the VDiM alters the steering by only a fraction, no matter how far the driver winds in the steering wheel. The 13 sensors measure the steering wheel angle, steering torque, four wheel speed and brakes and alerts the car's computer of a steering problem.

CarsGuide

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:57 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Given how most traction and stability control systems don't do the best of jobs all the time (since they're not actually aware of what's happening with the car in relation to the direction of road, only the inputs from the tyre speed and yaw sensors, this sounds dangerous.

I've had my TCS cut in when I've had full traction, because I was accelerating too quickly. Its also not cut in when the back's stepped out and I've gone sideways, only to kick in when I've corrected the oversteer and I'm balancing the car on the throttle and unsettle the car again.

Now the car's going to ignore driver steering inputs if the computer thinks its not in your best interests, despite the fact that only you know how the road is angling and what lies ahead.

But then again, if you look at how fucking retarded your average Lexus driver is (no offense fergo :)) I suppose it can't make them any worse.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:40 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
hahah i think you are right. its for all the retarded drivers who dont go over 50km/h and drive no more than 27km a week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I'm not surprised this sort of thing is coming in. it matches trends in modern society. shift the responsibility for your actions elsewhere.

the guy who approved the installation of this unit should be publically flogged.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:28 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
its so if there is an accident, he can blame lexus because it didnt drive itself around the corner instead of him being in control

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:36 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I cant beleive that this even got past the planning stages.

Removing control of steering from the driver (who is deemed competant by the government/RTA/DMV...) is just asking for trouble. Somehow i dont think a computer can react quick enough to counter bulk understeer promoted by too fast corner entry followed by snap over steer or sudden loss of traction mid corner due to ice or water lying on the road.

There are simply too many variables for a programmed device to know what the hell is happening at any time.

Out of interest, is this being heavily marketed in the US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:53 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
Scathing wrote:
I've had my TCS cut in when I've had full traction, because I was accelerating too quickly.

I've had that happen to me before too, not a good thing at all. I pulled out in front of a truck (didn't see him coming due to a car parked in my line of sight) I put my foot on the loud pedal only to have the car's TCS kick my foot back off and slow me down again, not good when your trying to avoid an accident by speeding up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:36 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Nissan is looking at it as well:

YOKOSUKA, Japan - To make driving safer, Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co. is developing a car that swerves back into its lane on its own and features a video system that simplifies parking.
"Lane Departure Prevention" combines a camera and computerized devices that control braking for front and rear wheels, nudging the car in the right direction. The feature disengages when you hit the turn signal, so you can change lanes and make turns.
The parking system uses external cameras to displays live video on a screen in the car, showing the car as a graphic in the middle.
The automaker has yet to decide on when it will offer either system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:44 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

With Nissan getting rid of practically all their turbomotors, the seeds of idiocy were already there.

This just proves the infection against driving machines in the company is growing.

I blame the French. :D

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:38 am 

Car: MKV Golf
Scathing wrote:
I blame the French. :D

Carlos Ghosn has a lot to answer for.
Although he's taken Nissan out of a global slump,he has killed our beloved turbo cars. :cry: