Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Supra in zoom.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:24 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
Flicking through the latest offering from zoom this arvo and came across an american supra.

They boldly calim the 2JZ is making 643rwKw. Then say its got factory internals :o

Ive had next to no experiance with toyotas but this sounds ridiculous to me???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:26 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
I agree.

Maybe it did make that power..ONCE..with a 250HP hit of N20, and died before the article was published. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:49 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I know there are guys getting big numbers with stock bottom end 2J's but that sounds a little high to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:21 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
That's in American Kilowatts remember :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:25 pm 
Quad T78

Oh yes. 100kw= 1 VTEC sticker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:30 pm 
Quad T88

Sounds a bit much to me. If I seen it in bits then straight on the dyno id beleive it but thats a bit out of the realistic range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:52 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
a LOT of people have said that the 2JZ can make 1000hp with std internals.
how long they can do it for is a good question,but I think you'll find it's more than the few minutes you guys are thinking,they're a quite solidly built engine.
a LOT of the late model toyota engines run forged pistons as standard,have decent bore thicknesses,and the ports in the heads are big enough to flow that sort of number.
two examples that I know fairly well:

the 1UZFE V8 bottom end is good for well over 1000hp without work. it runs the biggest oil pump I've ever seen,with a 30mm diamter pickup pipe,forged pistons,huge rods,piston oil squirters,a forged steel crank,and 6 bolt main caps.
there are quite a few of these in off road racers,bridge to bridge boats,4wds and their parent lexuses making decent power.
I can link to pages with turbo charged versions in the US,and a local supercharger kit that takes them from 120kw atw to about 215kw with a smallish eaton underbonnet setup running 7 or 8 psi and a std ecu.

the 4AGZE bottom end has been used in turbo applications by quite a few people here to numbers like 190-210kw atw with std internals that are already 15years old. these also run a forged steel crank,forged pistons with ceramic-coated crowns,and quite heavy rods.

toyota engines have always had a reputation for being over-engineered,and eternally reliable. the 2JZ is no exception to this. they are certainly stronger than the RB26 internally,and noone doubts their power figures.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:42 pm 
Quad T88

Thanks fergo.I knew they were a bit over engineered from the factory but never realised they were that tough.

So why is it we don't see many here I wonder, As you say they are built better than an RB26 spec for spec yet they don't seem to be as common. Like I said ive had nothing to do with toyotas but im sure there would be a reason for the rarity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:07 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
ok,as far as I've seen there there's really only one main reasonwhy you don't see many big hp soarers/supras here.

not many of the owners have the cash,and of those that do,not many of the owners want to spend what's required.
they're more concerned with image than speed and power.

GTRs are now 15yrs old,so cheap ones are starting to turn up and get worked fairly seriously.
JZA80 Supras have a few years to go yet before they don't require complaince,so they're still in the low $30k region to buy,which prices them out of a lot of people's range. particularly when you then have to spend as much as that again on turbo kits,cams and all the rest to get the big numbers.
most soarer and supra owners won't go beyond the boost up level here.
go to 14psi,put an exhaust on and retune it. that's it.

the cost to go to 600hp and onwards is pretty much equal to that for a GTR,so unless you're building a serious drag or circuit weapon,you won't be sinking $20+ k into the 1 or 2JZ.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:56 pm 
Quad T88

So true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:01 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
I want to buy a 1993 RZ supra as my next car, but it's hard to justify the price difference when compared to a GTR. Power/performance wise they are much the same, but the supra sell for mid to high 30's when the gtr sells for mid to low 20's, makes it very hard to justify spending the extra 15-20g for something that is going to perform around the same, and then to bring the supra into the country you also cannot have it modified to get it thru compliance, where you can by a pretty nicely modified gtr straight out of japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:22 pm 
TO4

Car: R32 GT-R
I've heard this is a supra in the USA ?
If this is the case please read:

We use dynodynamics (which is supposedly some sort of loss around 30% claimed for a RWD car) whereas USA uses dynojet (which is loss of approx 15%).

Hence you can make huge power when in reality its not as high as it would be here......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:07 pm 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
the 2JZ is one of the most over-engineered engines around.. there are plenty of jap supras that are making similar power on the stock bottom end. of course, it isnt going last 30,000kms as a daily driver, but it does support that power (show me a RB26 that'll support ~500rwkw on stock internals :o ) . its one place that toyota has it hands down over nissan - their stock bottom ends are damn near bulletproof from the factory

Morgs, your last post doesnt make sense... the amount of loss through the drivetrain has no real bearing when we're saying that the car makes ~600 rwkw - the loss is only gonna come into play when you try and work out its flywheel power figure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:09 pm 
T66

Car: Drift Bitch
LISTEN 180SX wrote:
the 2JZ is one of the most over-engineered engines around.. there are plenty of jap supras that are making similar power on the stock bottom end. of course, it isnt going last 30,000kms as a daily driver, but it does support that power (show me a RB26 that'll support ~500rwkw on stock internals :o ) . its one place that toyota has it hands down over nissan - their stock bottom ends are damn near bulletproof from the factory

Morgs, your last post doesnt make sense... the amount of loss through the drivetrain has no real bearing when we're saying that the car makes ~600 rwkw - the loss is only gonna come into play when you try and work out its flywheel power figure..

haha, and who owns a GTR?

97 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:39 am 
Takumi

LISTEN 180SX wrote:

nah it makes sense.

The average loss from engine to dyno with a dyno dynamics is 30%, but it's only 15% on the dynos they're using.

So, if the same car was measured here it would make less power at the wheels, since it's making the same power at the engine.

That extra 15% could explain why that car makes more than big supras do over here :)