Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DET SSS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:31 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
I did a conversion on an N14 SSS to an SR20DET on saturday.
Only took a day and the result is awesome.
I was really suprised how hard the car pulled once it got traction :roll:
So simple its not funny, slight beating of the cross member was required and the rest bolted straight into place even the exhaust and U13 Front mount fitted up sweet.
Might have to find a wrecked N14 and build a daily driver I think :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:41 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S14
How did u plumb the cooler up? did you hack out the front bar?

Yeh they go pretty hard huh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:57 pm 
Quad T88

Yeah there was a bit of cutage on the bar but all the stock piping and mounts fitted onto the pulsar I was suprised. Its unreal it goes really well. Ive done a few N15's also but this one was way better. Maybe lighter or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:12 pm 
T03

Car: 4TEZNU
hey riskin,

whats u13? bluebird sss engine? ....how much that cost ?

so you think its cheaper / better of to put a real sr20det rather then turbo the standard sr20de thats in the sss?

would you need to get a enginners certifiacte ?

around how much would it cost to pay someone to do the conversion?

thanks mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:49 pm 
Quad T04

Car: GTI
RSK11N, talk about a sleeper! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:44 pm 
Quad T88

The U13 has a SR20DET and there are quiet a few differences DE-DET. Just do a search and you will find a heap of them. Saying that it can be done but the front cut was $3000 delivered to my door so way easier thet way. You will also need the DET ECU and a good clutch. The whole conversion would cost a mint to get done at a workshop(2.5 grand in labour alone!)
I charged the guy 900 bucks labour that included all fluids. The clutch was 400 odd and the front cut was 3000 bucks. You could get a cut for cheaper but I needed it in a hurry so paid top dollar. Also 1400 for a full exhaust.

The car came out like a real sleeper its great. i actually pulled it up at a set of lights today and did not recognise it till came onto boost :P

Yeah they do require an enginners certificate but ive never seen one fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:29 am 
T51

Car: 180sx
yeah they do go pretty hard once they get traction.

I keep considering selling my car to buy another N14 and actually go thru with the DET conversion this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:45 pm 
Quad T88

Yeah I wouldnt mind one as a dailly driver I rekon it would be good. Sooooooo simple to do the conversion only a days work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:30 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
cmy513 wrote:

I keep considering selling my car to buy another N14 and actually go thru with the DET conversion this time.

if you're serious about that you need help dude... selling an S13 to go backwards to a pulsar. why you'd sell a car with good handling and excellent potential to get a shopping trolley that has limitations throughout it's design is beyond me,but hey,if you want to slow yourself down,that's fine.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:38 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

fergo308 wrote:
cmy513 wrote:

if you're serious about that you need help dude... selling an S13 to go backwards to a pulsar. why you'd sell a car with good handling and excellent potential to get a shopping trolley that has limitations throughout it's design is beyond me,but hey,if you want to slow yourself down,that's fine.

Justin...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Pulsars are very flexible. Many aftermarket parts available (bolt on kits, n/a kits, lsds), suspension is shared with the gtirs. When setup right they go quick and handle well. I think you would be suprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:40 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
I doubt I'd be surprised dude. I've seen plenty of fairly well setup pulsars in my time,and none come close to a properly sorted silvia when we're talking ease of control and fast lap times. I've been shamed by a pulsar before,I know what they're capable of. I've also destroyed several on the street up winding roads.

I'm not saying they're total rubbish at all,they're actually pretty good as far as FF cars go. however,FF design is inherently limited and you cannot do anything to overcome the simple fact that they do everything with the front wheels.
the GTiR is a notorious understeerer,noone has been able to fix that,and plenty have put serious time and money into trying.

an FR silvia will always beat a pulsar if both have the usual improvements.
if you already owned a silvia,I can't see any valid performance based reason for swapping to a pulsar of any model. the only reason I could think of for such a swap is everyday practicality. you need the bigger back seats and cargo space. that's it.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:20 pm 
Quad T88

They are good for a dailly driver but really like fergo said they do everything with the front wheels. Pull hard out of a corner with any suspension work under the sun and it will torque steer like a bitch. Some say nissan fixed the problem by evening out the length of the CV shafts but it didnt help any. Even the AWD bluebirds understeer teribly.

I wouldnt say its downgrading to a pulsar if you need the practicallity buy if you really want to have a car that car be driven at 110% can't go past the sil.

The engine swap I did may be for sale as the owner wants something RWD even after spending all that money, getting flogged by my car up the old road wasnt his idea of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:30 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

A couple of my mates have nice setups, with coil overs, lsd, sway bars etc, and they handle pretty bloody well imo. once theyre finished they will be raced on the track so it will be interesting to see how they go.

They have fairly big power around 220+fwkws and they still hook up fairly well out of a corner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:04 pm 
T28

Car: RNN14 GTIR
I'm not saying they're total rubbish at all,they're actually pretty good as far as FF cars go. however,FF design is inherently limited and you cannot do anything to overcome the simple fact that they do everything with the front wheels.
the GTiR is a notorious understeerer,noone has been able to fix that,and plenty have put serious time and money into trying.

there big words mate, all AWD`s will understeer to some degree, though the GTI R has been branded at being at the top of the list, if you do your research and understood why they actually failed in there short stint in rallying, it was because
1. The top mount (everyone knows this)
2. The understeer ( caused by poor tyre manufacturer support and limited R&d). not the balance setup of the car

And to say that they are impossible to correct and many have tried, it clearly shows how byist and narrow minded you are, because many have tryed and have been sucessfull with minimal effort. Saying that understeer is a disadvantage on the track in my eyes is also a myth on forums with fully sick silvia drivers, understeer is a lot easier to control and master, its safer and can be used around a track to the drivers advantage if he/ she knows what they r doing with there car. And i can back Gary up and saying that ive seen the at least 1 Pulsar he has mentioned in the flesh and also been for a short stint in it and im sure if you guys had the short chance to be open minded you could appreciate the cars ability, this wasnt intended to flame anyone, just i guess on a silvia site there seems to be members which believe that silvias are the end all of end all, cya all in my rear vision mirror at the track lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:24 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
I always thought the GTiR's didnt do well in Rally due to being too front heavy, surely Nissan couldve rectified the intercooler setup for a v.2 car if thats all that was limiting them?

Btw, what gives you the impression we Silvia drivers act all "high and mighty'?