Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:03 pm 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
J wrote:
if it's a CA, check the rocker cover for oil leaks. In fact, check the whole damn thing for oil leaks :-D

A rough idle is usually a sign of an abused engine, but then that goes for just about all cars. I should probably clarify that - When I say rough idle, I mean inconsistant idle rpm. The SR20 will shake a fair bit in the engine bay at idle.

-J-

hmmm i have an sr20 180 and the engine does shake alot when it idles?
what is this a sign of?
also if i let it idle for about 5 minutes it sound pretty noisy-though the car has been sitting there for about 7 weeks waiting to be complied-getting done as i type this..any ideas?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:51 pm 
T51

Regarding the sr20, yes, they all shake around a bit in the engine bay.

As for the noisy idle, are you referring to that kinda "farting" rumble/rattle typed noise it makes after sitting still for a bit? Coming from the intake area of the engine bay? If so don't worry about it. You can stop it doing that but it's not much to worry about. It's to do with the pod filter and bypass/epa/egr lines from memory. I'm guessing you have a red rocker cover and a pod filter? It's a pretty common thing.

Of course I could be on completely the wrong track and you could mean a totally different noise.

-J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:22 pm 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
wow j-everything you said was 100% accurate :)

its a 91 model sr20det red top-and it came with a mines k&n pod attached-i only recently noticed it-its a low rattly noise (thought pretty loud)
coming from the intake side

(this is with the car stationary and the hood open) it makes that sound after a few minutes and if i rev it a bit when the turbo comes off boost and winds down it makes a low sorta growling sound (best way to describe it) its also pretty noticeble and concerned me a bit?
is this anything to worry about and how do i stop it
thanks champ :)

Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:36 pm 
Twin T88

Car: S15 Spec R
i was reading this today, but this info on a CA engine may help:

"The S13 gearbox behind a CA18 can suffer from wear on a gearbox main shaft bearing, causing noise at idle."

i found it at http://www.users.bigpond.com/webspace/180sx/service.htm under 'Manual gearbox oil'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:07 pm 
T51

I think that article is talking about something different. What it's referring to is the thrust bearing by the sound of it - it also makes a funny knocking noise, but it's more like a steady rythmic knocking that a rattle. There's an easy way to tell - put your foot on the clutch. If the noise stops when you put the clutch in, then it's the thrust bearing. If it still makes the noise, then it might be what I said.

-J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:00 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: 180sx
Just on the auto, if it clanks or jolts from 1st to 2nd then its on the way out (check fluid level) a service might (belt tighten) might help but generally speaking given its age and abuse factor its not going to last too long.

The SR20 auto box is great unit and with proper tweaks (stally etc its a great box for drags (great sixty foot times etc) not as much fun on the road as a manual box (u can't dial up 5000 rpm and drop it, but how many times are you going to that ?) you can't beat the auto for smooth consistant launches, plus it will support 200-250rwkw before it starts to break teeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:17 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

:D Well, if the auto box was on the way out, i'd probably end up dropping in a manual for the fun factor. Thanks for the advice though man.

I guess you can't expect too much out of a 13 year old box, but another year or so would be nice. Can you suggest anything else I should look for when inspecting it again, (I didn't have much of an idea last time), or for inspecting other 180's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:20 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: 180sx
Yeh, look for faulty coil packs (these carry the spark to the plugs) (i.e. misfires) they can often just be dirty/clogged but might need replacing.

Look in the rocker cover with a small torch (from under oil filler cap) if you can for thick film (old/worn oil pick-ups/oil pump/ oil starvation problems, you don't want a bar of it.

But having said that look for a neat body with heavy mods even if its stuffed a CA is under a $1000 to replace, get a bargin body and get a motor with a warranty from an importer (although some of those chaps sell junk too), Good luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:12 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Hehe :D Thanks for the tips man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:57 pm 
T25

Car: NIssan 180sx
I own a ca18det auto and i have no problems with it as i dont run/race anyways.
I also would like to keep my licence,something i think ill lose if i get a manual 180 :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:37 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

:D
Yeah, I can see that happening with me if I get a manual...