Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:16 pm 
T25

Car: N13 Nissan Pulsar w/ CA18DET
Hey everyone!

I have an '87 n13 pulsar with a CA18DET motor in it. (The guy I bought it off took it down the quarter and it did 13.9sec without the hydraulic clutch and intercooler on.) I want to know if running car without an intercooler will do damage to the motor, and if so, what damage, can I repair/reverse/slow it down etc.

I have an intercooler off a '94 TT Supra but due to the $700 I need to hook it up, it hasn't happened yet. By the way is this a fair price to charge to hook up an intercooler..? They'll need to do all the piping and stuff. My mechanic is Brisbane Tuning and Turbo Centre.

It has been driven down the coast and then run around the coast all night and come back, but only twice. The motors done ~108000k's.

I also need to do an oil change soon and since it's the first time I'll be doing one, has anyone got any pointers or sites that might help me out?

I have a 2 pound hydraulic clutch apparently too. If anyone could point out what the hell that is and what the difference to a normal clutch is that would be cool. It also has a slight creaking sound when i let it out, I dont know what this means though.. :)

And lastly, any info at all that I might need (being a total newbie), feel free to chuck it in. How to drive a turbo properly, general care and maintenance, warm up/cool down times (I have a turbo timer, not fitted yet..how long should i set it to cool down if i do fit it?) etc. Anything at all would be great!

cheers guys, thanks a lot and take it easy 8)

-Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:22 pm 
T88

Car: 1996 BMW 318is
For the oil change, if you've never done it before get someone (a friend or your dad) to do it for you and you watch them, so you know how to next time. Buy a high quality oil (preferrably fully synthetic) and an oil filter for the change.

As for maintenance, just try and change the oil every 5000kms and service every 10,000kms and dont thrash it too much and it should be fine. As for warming up and cooling down times. Try not to thrash the engine on short trips, and I've heard that running the turbo timer for 2mins seems to be a good time (I dont have one though).

Hope that helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:04 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
Your 2 pound clutch is probably ment to be a 2 tonne clutch though I have never heard of a "2" tonne clutch before. I have however driven a car with a 1 tonne clutch.
The intercooler thing is relative with the amount of boost you are running.
P.S. I dont belive in turbo timers. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:56 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
turbo timers are rice, just sit in the damn car and wait. or drive easy when you are almost to your destination

they are riceyer than my wing :) and thats damn ricey!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:40 pm 
T25

Hey guys

Jay: Cool that sounds like a plan, ill head to my mates place and see what i can work out. I bought the valvoline oil for turbos so hopefully thatll be good.

MYS15T: Im running 7psi boost. I think i need to let it warm up and cool down a little more than i have been just to be sure though.

zei20l: Thanks for the tip 8)

Also, is it hard to hook up a temperature gauge? I have two gauges and neither work and i really really think i need one..

another thing is the speedo. because it was originally a 1.6L engine then the CA18DET got put in, the speedo is like 10k's too fast. if im doing 80 then im really only doing 70. I was told this is cause the gearing or whatever on the end of the accelerator cable needs to be changed to suit a 1.8L engine. Is this true? if not what else could it be? cheers guys,

-Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:32 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
if the gearbox wasn't changed then it should still read the correct speed, but if it was (or the diff changed) then it will probably over read a bit.

See if you can find someone with a handheld GPS unit, and go for a drive down the freeway to check it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:46 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Gazelle - CA20E
Dude, the oil change in the CA 18DET is very simple.

Look under your engine from under your car. there is a 14mm bolt at the far driver's side of low cube shape box - undo this bolt and make sure you have a bucket before doing so. Your oil filter is on the driver's side of the engine bay and it sits horizontal to the engine just under the head of the engine. It'll probably be a blue cylinder about 8cmx8cmx13cm.

Unscrew it and if you don't want to drip oil and shite all over your swing arm place a rag over it because the cylinder will start to empty as soon as you unscrew it, it sucks, trust me.

CA18DET takes less then one container of oil (5 litre)

You'll also be surprised how simple it is to change plugs on these engines as well, just try it, if you don't do it yourself, it just ain't the same....coming from a guy who just screwed his engine but hey, it wasn't my fault. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:58 pm 
T66

Car: Silvia S12
zei20l wrote:
turbo timers are rice, just sit in the damn car and wait. or drive easy when you are almost to your destination

Dunno bout you but when i finish my track & strip runs the last thing i wanna do is sit in my bloody car for 5 min waitin for the car to cool down enuff. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:21 am 
T25

Hey thanks for the info Razor! Ill give it a shot on the weekend. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:52 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
SalpS12 wrote:
zei20l wrote:

Dunno bout you but when i finish my track & strip runs the last thing i wanna do is sit in my bloody car for 5 min waitin for the car to cool down enuff. :P

just leave it running lasy ass hehe you dont have to sit in it. in the city i would for sure. sure as hell wouldnt leave it there with the keys in it and running for the theif to just show up