Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hey guys
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 pm 
T25

Car: nissan 180sx
hey im new to world of the 180sx/silvia i have a 93 model 180sx with a few mods the usual such as FMIC exhuast ecu... puttin out 230kw on 14psi so im happy atm... im want to start looking at suspension just wondering if anyone has coilovers for sale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:56 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: green 180sx, 180sx
there is fully adjustable ones on ebay with something like 30 stage dampeners, i dont know the quality of them but am looking at a set myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Suspension is one area where you get what you pay for. Cheap gear is just that. And when I say cheap,I mean nasty.

Stick to name brands. BC or D2 are NOT name brands. Anything that costs less than $2k brand new is not worthwhile. Unless you want to replace it right after the warranty ends and like being uncomfortable and getting around corners slower than everyone else does.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 am 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
you wana spend big bucks i recomend hks hyper dumps iv driven a couple of street cars with them now s13 silvia and a r33 both with big motors in em, cusco and tein make great stuff to but you will be in for a stiff ride litterally, i had HR's in my s14a and yea cracks in the road can cause cracks in ur glass lol im not kidding...

personally iv taken to the Ksport kontrols this is what ill be using in my current build i have a couple of mates using them now and iv been for a ride on them excelent bang for ur buck, if i couldnt go with the Ks id go for a set of HSD's since im a little tight on cash and im going to abuse the living hell outa them anyways,

over the years iv learn one simple rule when buying coilovers if you dont want to be disapointed buy japanese made do not touch chinese/malaysian immitatiors

justin is 500% correct you get what you pay for

gl

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: s13 silvia
It isn't actually as doom and gloom as our cynics would have you believe in the world of sub 2k coilovers.

The "name brand" products are clearly superior and are going to work better for longer, but, they come with a clearly superior pricetag as well.

If you are tight on cash HSDs are the best of the cheapies. Expect rose joints to develop knocks and maybe dampers to wear out and want replacing after while.

I have travelled in excess of 20 thousand clicks on HSD HR coilovers in different models of silvia over the past oh i dunno 5 or 6 years, and nothing has broken, nothing has cracked, nothing has leaked, but the damn rose joints always make a racket after a while.

Maybe I was lucky, and if I had the money I would have gone with brand new Jap ones, but I didnt and the HSDs were a good buy in both cars for what I wanted.

Also, replacement pillow mounts are 70 dollars and replacement dampers are 120 dollars for HSD HR coilovers. So it isn't actually the end of the world if one of those components need replacing.

As a general rule things arent as bad as Fergo tells people they are, but that's part of his charm.

I think there is one question to be answered as everyone agrees on the basics.

Should you buy 2nd hand japanese coilovers or new HSDs? Price points are similar. You have better contruction vs warranty, unknown history vs new....

I think it probably depends how good the 2nd hand ones are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
500% buy a brand new set of HSD's over a second hand set of jap coilovers regardless of condition you still get a manufactures warrenty, i made the mistake of second hand coilovers in the past... its very hard to know what kind of life they really had

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
I have a set of BCs on my M35. they are fine, well worth the money.

other people have had theirs for over 12 months and they are still going fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Haven't heard anything bad about BC, well only people who don't have them. HSD and ISC a good value too. Can't go wrong with a new set of HSDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
Lets check in on how they're going in 5 years time. I remember there was a time when Tein was on everybody's lips and cars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 am 
Quad T88

HSDs are tough, the only reason people started paying attention to them as they were being used in drift cars without problems. The reason they became successful is because they're also reliable and cheap.

Of course when you're paying 2k+ for a set of jap coils you're paying for some quality, and yeah if you're happy to spend that kind of money good stuff, but most silvia owners can't falling into the 17-25yo bracket, hence why the cheaper options that do the same thing, are just as tough, become appealing.

Also pretty much everyone these days are buying coils to get low, not so much about the quality of performance. Myself included, if i wanted to go hektik i'd just be using stock struts or something. So as long as it's go plenty of base height adjustment, thumbs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
DarkWave wrote:
As a general rule things arent as bad as Fergo tells people they are, but that's part of his charm.

*LOL* Thanks dude,I didn't know you cared.

I can give you one example where cheapies lasted all of 2,000km before getting knocking in the O/SR strut. brand new D2's,in an LS430. Street use only. He took them back,and was refused warranty. He's now gone back to stock struts and is saving up (again) to buy teins.

All I'm saying is be realistic. Cheap stuff is usually cheap for a reason.
You may notice that I'm not recommending 2nd handies of any brand either...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 pm 
Quad T88

D2s, G4s, those ebay things are all pretty rubbish. They seem really stiff cause they have small valves but they're just crap.