Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:39 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
Christ, here we go again.

An 18" wheel will not give you as good handling characteristics as a 17.
Of course given you are lugging around $13000 of audio weight, that may or may not be a consideration.

More Important than diameter is width. How wide do you want? Width and offset will determine how far in from the guards and how far away from your suspension the wheel will be. (camber and of course non standard track will also play a role).

I would suggest 17x8s with an offset of +20 to +28. If you do so you dont need to mess around with widebody kits, rolling guards, using spacers etc.

If you search you can find more information. Then, if you dont understand something or have some questions you should post.

Most has been covered before, in detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm 
T25

Car: 91 180sx
CraZeeE wrote:
Christ, here we go again.

An 18" wheel will not give you as good handling characteristics as a 17.
Of course given you are lugging around $13000 of audio weight, that may or may not be a consideration.

More Important than diameter is width. How wide do you want? Width and offset will determine how far in from the guards and how far away from your suspension the wheel will be. (camber and of course non standard track will also play a role).

I would suggest 17x8s with an offset of +20 to +28. If you do so you dont need to mess around with widebody kits, rolling guards, using spacers etc.

If you search you can find more information. Then, if you dont understand something or have some questions you should post.

Most has been covered before, in detail.

Ok have done a bit of research into this and here are the results for everyone. Again correct me if i'm wrong.

Wheels and tyres are known as unsprung weight. For every 1lb saved/lost in unsprung weight this results in the same effect as loosing 10lb's from the actuall car.

1lb lost (unsprung Wieght) = Same As = 10lb's Lost interior weight

Therefore if you have rims and tyres that weigh 44lb's lighter then your stock wheels and rims its the same as stripping 440lb's from your car!!!!

Now the reason most people on this forum and other race orriented forums suggest 17" rims is because they weigh less then their 18" counter parts and the have a higher sidewall which provides better handling on rough surfaces.

The hevier the rim and tyre is the higher the rotaional mass which results in longer stopping distances and slower acceleration.

High Rotational mass = Longer Stopping distance and Slower Acceleration

Therefore the oposite must be true as well

Low Rotational mass = Shorter Stopping Distance and Quicker Acceleration

This is another reason most people will choose the lighter 17" rim opposed to the 18" rim.

With that said if you still want a 18" rim with the sam performance as a 17" rim, this can be done (theoretically).
You would need to find a really low weight 18" rim (weighing the same or less then the 17" version), and get a tyre with the same type of sidewall profile (which weighs the same as the 17" tyre)

With this said you would also need the new wheels to be engineered as they will now be atleast 1" bigger then the diameter of the orginal tyres not to mention the time, effort and energy into finding these rims and tyres.

Another downside to 18" rims are if you get one with a lower profile then the 17" it will result in a stiffer (bumpier) ride and you will have to consitantly check your tyres pressures, because as soon as one drops below the others it will cause damage to the tyre and rim.
With that said you will also find it easier to chip/damage your rims with a 18" rim because of how low the profile is (unless you get the similar sidewall profile to a 17").

In conclusion the reason most people performance oriented with go a 17" rather then a 18" rim is:-

* Smoother Ride
* Easier to find/buy
* Lightweight wheels
* Cheaper then 18"
* Less chance of damaging them compared to the 18"

Hope this helps others as well. Again if i have missed out anything please update :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Nice summary.

Tyres are cheaper too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:13 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
^^^
as I said back on page one. if this becomes anything like bree's wheel thread I think I'll shoot myself.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
^ Dont do that......... Shoot them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:29 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
fair call. although there is a shortage of .38super ammo in the country atm,so I have to save the few hundred I have left for a bit.
might have to borrow my mother's 9mm S&W... :wink:

Justin...

Post subject: Q45 AFM vs Z32 AFM
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:37 am 
T25

Been looking into the airflow meters a bit more and found out that you can use a Q45 AFM which is 90mm or a Z32 AFM which is 80mm.
I have also read mixed reviews on the q45 afm. Some say its great and works better then the z32 afm. Some say not so great.

I know a Power FC can use either of those afm's, but with the q45 afm a custom pipe will be needed from the turbo to it because of the larger size.

Any reasons why one is better then the other?

Z32 afm = $200 aprox
q45 AFM = $100 i can get one for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:38 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Z32 will allow finer control over idle and cruise. You will not make the power to max it out so there is no point going to the Q45

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:12 am 
T25

too_much_boost wrote:
Z32 will allow finer control over idle and cruise. You will not make the power to max it out so there is no point going to the Q45

Thanks for the quick reply.

What do you guys/girls think about rays Grams light 57 pro/pro maximum in 17" with a Titanium Rim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:30 am 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
^ There no vaults.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:21 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
EXH41L wrote:

What do you guys/girls think about rays Grams light 57 pro/pro maximum in 17" with a Titanium Rim?

Yep. Good rim, exxy, but that doesnt seem like its an issue for you. The thing to remember is exactly what wheel design you choose is a largely personal thing, Some people like mesh, some people like 5 spoke, some people like multispoke, some people like a flat faced rim, some people like a bit of dish....

However the offset and width thing isnt so much of a personal choice, theres only a certain range that fit and even a good desgined rim looks retarded if they are sunken cheesecutter spec. (thin wheels which sit so far in from the guards they look retarded)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:23 am 
T25

CraZeeE wrote:
EXH41L wrote:

Yep. Good rim, exxy, but that doesnt seem like its an issue for you. The thing to remember is exactly what wheel design you choose is a largely personal thing, Some people like mesh, some people like 5 spoke, some people like multispoke, some people like a flat faced rim, some people like a bit of dish....

However the offset and width thing isnt so much of a personal choice, theres only a certain range that fit and even a good desgined rim looks retarded if they are sunken cheesecutter spec. (thin wheels which sit so far in from the guards they look retarded)

Thanks for the advice
I have been told that its highley recomended i change my gearbox to a Z32 or Rb25. Which would be the easier/better swap?
What parts would be needed for the conversion?