Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:21 pm 
T25

Car: 92 180sx Champagne silver
Hey people, Ill get straight to the point:-

I took a 1996 180sx Spec S for a test drive today, overall its ok, but being 18 and male 8) i want something with a little more power than the SR20DE

The car is $13900 and has done 100,000km (the car dealerships wife drove it for 6months)

Its in great condition, interior is great, Digi Climate control, round lights at the back, Type S bodykit, spoiler and mags etc

Now i have 2 questions:

1. The engine top isnt black or red, its metal color - IE Silver
I was a little suspicious on this to start off, are my suspicions correct?

2. IF i do buy this SR20DE, How can i possibly get it to the 150KW of the SR20DET ?

Main reasons for buying this 180 over the half dozen turbo 180s in the yard are mainly condition, the interior and outside look are great.

Seeing im 18, and its my first car - Its hard to decide between Performance or Looks -

Help is greatly apprieciated guys, ill be a proud 180 owner in the next week !!
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:01 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: 2012 Golf TSI... least its boosted!
The round lights at the back are of the Type X, alot of ppl want that :P

As for getting the power out of the SR20DE you will need some nice mods to get it to 150 at the wheels, the stock SR20DE with exhaust and extractors we have seen pull around 83 at the wheels at our dyno days.

You could always turbo the SR20DE or drop a SR20DET into it later down the track, as your 18 insurance would be a killer, but speak to Famous Insurance about it.

The SR20DE motor is a silver/metal colour topped motor, the red and black are the turbo models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:02 pm 
T25

Thanks for the reply mate,

I see you have silvia Q's with SR20DET as your car?

Obviously you changed the Q's engine to the SR20DET... Can u give me a basic rundown and cost of whats involved to do this...

I really love the interior and exterior of the 1996 Spec S.. Its definately its main attraction..

There are lots of other 180s in the yard that are 11-13thou, They are SR20DET but interiors are terrible and no kits, mags or spoilers on most of them.

I guess i can either buy a car to do up the interior (Turbo 180)
Or i can buy it to do up the engine (Spec S)

Such a hard decision,

They have an r33 gts skyline too (non turbo) for $14000 which i could get but even a 6 cylinder for an 18yr old .. first car is insane.

So its def 180 at the moment, ide get a silvia but 180 look is overpowering.

How do i turbo a SR20DE ?

This is such a hard decision for me, You cannot look past 40+KW anyday.
So i cant ignore the fact that i could spend less and get a more powerfull car while sacrificing the interior and exterior.

Some deep thinking and research is needed.

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:17 pm 
T25

I meant for first car is insane.. as in insurance

even 180 non turbo insurance is pretty bad

i think all insuro companies have just vandetted Nissans for their performance abilities :D

I know the 105 kw SR20DE wont be able to spin the wheels at all, hopefully in the rain it can suffice.

AHHHHHHHHH choosing a first car can drive you nuts

Opinions people?

Monday is my deadline, I must buy a 180 on monday as i start work on tuesday and wont have enough time after that.

I have $14,000 EXACLY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:24 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
SR20DE is a nice motor thank you :P

yes it can spin the treads easily smartarse lol

to change to an SR20DET i dont know exactly. But the updated body and trim of the newer 180s you cant look past at all. adding the motor conversion to the cost of the car, it would be cheaper to just buy late model turbo 180 from the factory.

also, all the late model 180s came with the round tail lights, and yes people are looking for them and they are rare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:27 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: 2012 Golf TSI... least its boosted!
My car was a CA18DE Auto Q's which meant the conversion to the SR20DET Manual was rather a big job.

Front cut was $3,000 (motor, box, wiring, ecu, brakes + extras)
Installation was $2,000
Large Front Mount and 3" Exhaust were $2,000

But for the SR20DE all you need is a SR20DET + Loom + ECU which you could probably get in for about $3,000 or under including the labour. (Especially if the SR20DE is in good nick, you can then sell it, where as my CA18DE was dead and worth $0 :P)

105 kW at the wheels will definately spin the wheels, I have seen cars with 70 kW spin the wheels, but I would be taking it easy for your first car.

Personally in your situation I would probably get the Type S as its a non-turbo and more suitable and then later on when your more experienced then you can turbo motor it or sell it and get a turbo model (you will have more money then :P).

As for turboing the SR20DE you will need exhaust, manifold, turbo and a far bit of work... but it wont be as responsive to mods as a DET as you have to be careful not to kill the DE with too much boost etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:52 pm 
T25

Ok, Now im even more set on the Spec S

I know its my first car, But ive been driving my dads VT Station wagon (Commodore) Which is 150KW (Not at wheels thats just the spec on the website)

Im used to that power, So im hoping the SR20DE will be atleast close to this as its hell of alot lighter -

Commodore is 1500kg !!

180 is what .. 1100-1200kg?

Btw - I stated the SR20DE was 105Kw ( i have no idea if this is at wheels )
This is stated on www.carizma.com.au

All i want is something with descent power, i dont want a show but no go car.
The spec S interior is so nice, it has 180sx written up the swuede type material seets, The steering wheel looks like a skyline steering wheel (Even says SRS airbag, and is practically brand new)

Except for the occasional slight scratch on the centre panel, the interior is prestine.

The engine bay however, is alittle dirty, I think im just used to seeing new engine bays.

Im going to see if there is like a 5 day trade back thing, Like i can drive the car for 5 days - If i dont like it i can swap or get refund kinda thing.
Also, before i forget to ask again - c S i want to run it on BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax ..

Can i just put this straight in when i buy the car, I have no idea what its running on now and dont want to do any damage..

Im thinking ide have to get the tank as empty as possible them fill up with Premium.

Thanks for this people, reassurance is such a big assistance when buying a car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:12 am 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Hey Mate. I have a S13 Silvia with the SR20DE.

Not a bad engine, after a year of ownership I could do with more power though. Will make the step up to a SR20DET car in a couple of years...

Just fill it straight away with Optimax. I use Caltex Vortex Gold most of the time, as with any japanese car, the SR20DE benefits from a higher octane fuel such as this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:14 am 

fuel

nothing but at least premium. try to go for optimax, synergy 8000 and the top fuel from different brands - find the one that you like. dont listen to what anyone else says. they all have their own opinions, but you should make your own.

i think a 180 is around to 1070kg mark. it slightly heavier than the silvia due to the extra glass in the tailgate, but not as heavy as the turbo. i bet im wrong, someone will tell me im sure :)

105kw is at the fly. the turbo puts down around the 100kw at the treads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:28 am 
Quad T04

Car: GTI
All I can say is, go for a turbo version..

because eventually you will regret owning an N/A version.. like I am..

but then again its a 96 model 180sx = newish and nice =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:20 am 
T25

:-?

Im still undecided :roll:

I just cant get the look of the spec s out of my head 8)

but i know when i pull up to the lights, next to a civic, mirage or any other small car with exhaust upgrade or other im going to have a hard time competing.

I mean ive always been against an all show - no go car.

And this 180 definately looks the part, but under the hood, shes a she.. literally.

Ill take the 95 model 180sx they have there for a drive too, and see how it feels. Its ass aint as good, but im sure the sex is just as good 8)

Anyone who has an SR20DE can you report power rating? Obviously you would be able to get sideways if its wet, can u do linelocks if its wet too?

Thanks for the help people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:32 am 
T25

I was also quoted around 2500-3000 for a turbo 180sx by RACQ Insurance seeing im 18 and on my P's, Living in Brisbane we dont have to show the P cards on out cars though 8)

So ide say for non turbo around 1000-2000, not confirmed though

I can buy an sr20det for like 2000-2500, hopefully sell the sr20de for 1000, and get the sr20det dropped straight in.

Seems like alotta work when i could just get a turbo version straight up,

BTW Ive got a question for turbo owners.

When you bought your 2nd hand turbo, did you get the turbo reconditioned or replaced?

Because when i was talking to the mechanic at a local import yard he said that turbos rated life are around 5 years optimum, after that they loose significant reliability

If thats indeed true, then 90% of 180s have more than 10 year old turbo, and exhuast manifolds etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:12 pm 

some mechanics dont know shit all

if you look after something, it will last a long time. that goes for pretty much anything.

cars have warranty up to 100000km. thats their life expectancy. how many cars do you see over 100000km?? heaps. people look after things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:11 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
As for the SR20DE "road report":

Its not bad, best part is accelerating from like 40km onwards, pretty linear power delivery.

I couldnt get the wheels spinning in mine I dont think, but the new 17" tyres are probably to blame for that. Id say it would under hard driving on the stock tyres though.

Overall a good first car, easily enough power for a P-plater and general driving. Wouldnt be the best thing to drag with though, and after a year of ownership you tend to want more power in the form of a turbo car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:10 pm 
T25

Yeh thats what i thought,

Im thinking if i get this spec s ill keep it for a year then sell it,

Its that or i get a GTS r33 skyline, but there only a little more power anyway.

Wish this 96 spec s was a spec x or whatever,

If it was turbo all my worries would be no more, my car would look and run good.

Like i stated earlier, Ill take the GTS and a turbo 180 for a test drive and make my decision on the spot.