Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 pm 
T25

Car: soon 2 be 180sx?
Alright, my mate bought a jdm s15 recently and he crashed it going through the mountains.

I was sitting in my friends dc5r and he was smashing it (i don't know why people push it so hard like its initialD or something) anyhows, he was leaving all kinds people behind like evo, another dc2, s15 , r32 etc...

So we switch cars into the s15 and like seriously- we shat our pants.. after i got out of the s15 man.. i don't know if words can describe it... adrenaline was pumping like KRAZY.

Then my mate felt guilty for driving so quick and stuff cuz my life was in his hands and so many things couldve happened and sh*t.

A week after that, the s15 crashed- went over some gravel on a turn then clipped a pole, car went 180 and slid backwards along the rails, ended up in a tree.

So the moral of the story is.. i'm just scared as hell to get a 180sx even though ive wanted one since who knows when.
I've never been into drifting just into circuit racing(wakefield)- but i prefer a turbo application over a NA (typeR) anyday.

So what are your thoughts.... can you make a 180sx handle well around a circuit??? or is it all about drifting these days?

I can't find didly squat about suspension that is good for handling that would resemble a typeR.
i know you might say we're h00ns and that, but that was the 1st time i went, usually its just a cruise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:22 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

1) we dont condone that kind of driving on public roads in this community of enthusiasts. if you feel the need for speed, have your head about you and go to the track.

2) if you're saying that you'd be hesitant to buy a silvia (180, s13, s14, s15 whatever) because you're scared, then you probably shouldn't get one. im saying this out of thought for other people that use the roads as well as yourself because it seems to me that your main purpose for owning a turbocharged rwd sports car is to push it to its limits. take your time to learn the car and your own skills and gradually build upon it. better to spend alot of time getting quicker slowly than getting out there and seeing what you've got first go.

3) a silvia can be made to handle better than a integra type r with some basic suspension mods like coilovers, braces, swar bars, tension rods, castor rods, etc etc. there is an excellent wealth of knowledge amongst the members of this forum (myself not included) so you will definately find a solution to that problem.

4) its certainly not all about drifting. drifting is fun, but some people like to mix it up and do both grip racing and drifting so you're not limited to one style in terms of the car. just depends what you prefer to do and how you've set up your car.

5) be prepared for a flaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:35 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
Dont buy cheap tyres :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:26 am 
T25

i know its dangerous, why do you think i shat my pants...

my mate who was driving felt really guilty and stuff afterwards.. hard to explain man.

My friend with the s15 got what was coming to him anyhows and i don't think he'd be going back again.

I've always liked sr20s for easy power from bolt ons, but ive always doubted the handling...
I have test drove a 180sx and driven friends s15 but never pushed it to the limit so i can never tell what the handling is like. (taken a corner @ 60 etc)

That's why im here, to ask your opinion about circuit silvias.

Serial Killa wrote:
Dont buy cheap tyres :oops:

well that's an obvious- i use to work as a tyre hand so i would know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 am 
T03

Car: 1994 NISSAN 180SX
Why dont you buy an R32 for circuit? Similar weight to a 180, but has a bit more torque. Might be able to get better power for circuit racing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:56 am 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
there are many factors you have to consider before understanding each car

NA and Turbo cars have to both be driven differently to maximize their potential, and also, more so with a RWD turbo car, not to get caught out when you hit boost. Throttle control is a must.

What suspension setup are both cars running? If both cars are stock, then the honda will probably be more stable through corners. However, a correctly set up s15 should be able to keep up, if not out perform.

What tyres were both cars running? yes tyres make a world of difference, and are the no.1 mod which people overlook for actually going faster around a corner.

and finally, driver skill. yes knowing what you are doing behind the wheel and knowing how hard to push it, as well as how much brains one person has, plays the most important part behind the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:06 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
yo_stock wrote:
Why dont you buy an R32 for circuit? Similar weight to a 180, but has a bit more torque. Might be able to get better power for circuit racing

180sx is a way better car for track purposes than R32. Just ask badhairdave about that. His R32 owes 4 times my sil80 and he still only ever see's mine and dumheds taillights :)

I think mod for mod (and more specifically bang for buck), an S13 has much better handling potential than just about any car on the market.

My 180sx owes me around 15k, and I run low 1:09's around wakefield in pretty much full street trim with working a/c etc.
Dumheds Silvia owes him something like 10k and he also runs low 1:09 around wakefield but after going on a fairly major diet (ie not really streetable)

Can you think of many other cars capable of that?

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
too_much_boost wrote:
yo_stock wrote:

180sx is a way better car for track purposes than R32. Just ask badhairdave about that. His R32 owes 4 times my sil80 and he still only ever see's mine and dumheds taillights :)

I think mod for mod (and more specifically bang for buck), an S13 has much better handling potential than just about any car on the market.

My 180sx owes me around 15k, and I run low 1:09's around wakefield in pretty much full street trim with working a/c etc.
Dumheds Silvia owes him something like 10k and he also runs low 1:09 around wakefield but after going on a fairly major diet (ie not really streetable)

Can you think of many other cars capable of that?

Driver ability? Twice the track experience? More front tyre? You always seem to skip that part....

And you bought yours 75% done, where as i started from scratch.

But it is certainly a more expensive proposition to modify a skyline than a silvia, and s13's do make good track hacks from what i've seen, though tmb and dumhed are a bit of an exception as most s13 aren't in the same sort of territory as they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:41 am 
Overlord
Overlord

badhairdave wrote:
Driver ability? Twice the track experience? More front tyre? You always seem to skip that part....

I'm allowed to skip whatever parts i like!
I have no driver ability. The car almost drives itself.
I don't have more front tyre when I run the azenis though do it? :P

badhairdave wrote:
But it is certainly a more expensive proposition to modify a skyline than a silvia, and s13's do make good track hacks from what i've seen, though tmb and dumhed are a bit of an exception as most s13 aren't in the same sort of territory as they are.

I wouldn't say my sil80 has anything that most modified s13's don't have. Alot of cars now have over 200rwkw, also i don't have anything radical in my suspension.

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:45 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
you missed my point.

Your car doesn't have anything exceptional, yet you are significantly faster than similarly modified s13's, as is dumhed, though his is more purpose built

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:54 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Thats cos I don't care what your point was :P

My point was that S13 are best bang for buck track cars around and R32 aren't so good for track

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:02 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
R32 is good, but there are a few things that are more difficult (and therefore expensive) to set up nicely, compared to a Silvia.

Bang for buck as a track car, I don't think there's anything that compares with an S13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:49 am 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
h13p, to answer your question - its not all about drift, and yes it is quite easy to setup a silvia for circuit/track driving..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:41 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1990 Nissan Silvia
1, Your friend is an idiot for driving like that, especially in the mountains.
2, if you knew he was crazy in the car, why did you get in the car withhim?
3, dont get a car your scared off, most probably becuase your scared to drive it/of its power/control. I won't acknowledge your amount of skill behind the wheel until you can get in one without "shiting" your pants so to speak.
4, Get an N/A or a something that isnt as powerful as a 180 is capable of being.

ps. I can't wait for Magnubs reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:08 pm 
T25

Blakesilvia wrote:
2, if you knew he was crazy in the car, why did you get in the car withhim?
3, dont get a car your scared off, most probably becuase your scared to drive it/of its power/control. I won't acknowledge your amount of skill behind the wheel until you can get in one without "shiting" your pants so to speak.
ps. I can't wait for Magnubs reply.

Well i didn't know he was that "crazy" of a driver only from what people told me, but i would assume someone wouldn't push another persons car to the limit especially through the mountains.

I didn't "shit" my pants because of the car- but because of how dangerous it was. Like he took the first corner and the tail whipped out abit, and then boost comes on and man so many things at once- like taking a corner you would have to move the steering wheel left<->right going through a corner to get front grip and if he didnt do it enoguh, it felt like the rear would kick out.

Its an awesome car no doubt, being able to go into a corner and 1/3 into the corner you can apply some gas then it just grips and turns out then hits boost and you're on the arse of another car.
It's just what if the rear kicks out then your goneskis obviously... so in a sense its dangerous.

I understand its about the driver and how its just a matter of learning your own car. But would you be looking at coilovers, toe arms, caster rods, struts, sways, towers - pretty much the works to get a decent circuit setup?

PS: thank you for your input so far guys- and im expecting to get flamed because i know it was stupid.

Last edited by h13p on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.