Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:40 pm 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
CRD? i think ive heard more problem stories than positive ones!! (or maybe ppl share the problem stories more than the positive ones...)

i'll be using Unigroup, or possibly IS motorsport (Rockdale)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
mokompri wrote:
you tuning your own cars now anthony :)
ive been wanting to get into it, was even looking at buying one of those wideband kits they have some threads about on SAU. with the plms boards it now seems even easier since all the software and hardware is taken care of (once s15's are compat.)

you been getting any help from anyone with the tuning ? by the way how does the drift man stand up to CRD, because all i hear is 'crd is the best for sr20'.

I have been doing my own tuning on the cefiro since forever. Only with daughterboards though. The only tune i didn't do on that myself was on the PFC it had in it for 6 months and i hated it.

I think the tune in the sil80 (which dr_drift tuned) is really good. I can't really fault it considering the problems the car was giving on the day. I will be giving it a touch-up soon so it can run a bit more boost though

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:15 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
yeaaah i have heard alot of success stories from the drift dr

you been hiring dyno and tuning facilities everytime ? ie wideband, knock sensor etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:38 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I used to do it on the street with wideband and guesswork for the timing, but now i go to unigroup

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:12 am 
T28

Car: S13 Silvia
too_much_boost wrote:
4 hours to tune? Why so long?

Dr_Drift took 2 hours on my sil80 and the tune is flawless (up to 18psi)

I took 2 hours on my SR20 cefiro on unigroups dyno (up to 20psi), and the tune is 99%, but that remaining 1% is my fault not unigroups

I had a DrDrift tune in my car once.... he was the reason i went to Mark to tune for the Nistune board as DrDrift blew my engine doing one of these great "2 hour tunes" - Ended up with a spun bearing bent rod and crank due to the amount of detonation that was taking place.. there was a guy waiting to get his S15 tuned that watched it all happen. The ping was so audible that Mark ran from out in the shop into the dyno bay to tell Sam to stop!

DrDift does a power tune and that is all (though one could argue this is all that most people want).... i wanted everything perfect so we did a tune basically from the ground up.

If all he wants is a tune that gets him a high number on a dyno printout then that is up to him..... as for me i wanted to take it further hence the longer period of time spent tuning.

I have the map that DrDrift was using when the engine blew and my current tune - when compared in some places up to 6 degrees of timing was pulled out!

Dont get me wrong it seems that Sam does a decent job with most people (as to how much people know or understand about the maps they have recieved, and how many others have had the same experiences as me that is another question!), i had one good experience with Sam and one bad one - the good one cost me $800, the bad one cost me $6800 (price of first experience included as it was flushed away when i stopped using his earlier model daughterboard and his services).

If anyone is interested in seeing the comparision between the maps, my tune or the nistune software i can bring my laptop to the wednesday KK's meetup. If people want a ride (not a drive!) to see the quality of Marks tune im happy to oblige (not taking the whole bluddy club for a spin though :P ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:11 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
the main reason the daughterboard setups are easy to tune is that most of the tuning is done for you by the factory.
You start from a standard map, which generally is still very close for all the drivability aspects, and then you tune the AFRs and timing for full power.

The end result is generally pretty good, and it's obviously cheaper than a full replacement ECU.
The PLMS gear would be my pick now in most situations.
I'm running a PowerFC, for a lot of reasons, but I'd just as happily run a daughterboard if it was suited for my car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:43 pm 
Quad T66

i think when it comes to tuners i dont think you will find any with a spotless record. its just human nature/error, although i cant speak specifically of your experience lucius.

the news from the plms guys is they are hoping s14a/s15 compatability by early next year. i'll wait a bit for it.

the thing i liked about the PFC is that you get the hand controller which gives you some real time data. most importantly knock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:12 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
true, but the pfc only tells you there's knock, where as the remapped stocker can do something about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
the driver can also do something about it though, and the PFC lets you know there's a problem to fix.

Still, the daughterboard setup done right is a very good option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:41 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
lol, maybe.

As i have done exactly that in the past with my pfc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:16 pm 
T28

Car: 180SX
Thanks again everyone for some feedback.

I've finally decided what i want - NOT :roll: :roll:

I defeninatly want to talk to someone that has the Nistune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:40 pm 
Quad T66

badhairdave wrote:
true, but the pfc only tells you there's knock, where as the remapped stocker can do something about it

what did you mean by that ? does the remapped ecu make timing changes as a result of knock and the pfc doesnt ?

you could make temporary changes on the pfc though, if it picks anything up. a bad batch of fuel can do damage even with a good tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:59 pm 
T28

Yes, the nistune software has a programmable knock map.

You can also get realtime data using the nistune software, but you would really need a car pc or a laptop that you can glance at - no more cumbersome then grabbing a hand controller while your driving though i guess.

1_8_0 SX, as i said earlier if you would like a look at the tuning software's capabilities then i am more than willing to bring my laptop to the KK's meet.

Quote:
i think when it comes to tuners i dont think you will find any with a spotless record. its just human nature/error, although i cant speak specifically of your experience lucius.

the news from the plms guys is they are hoping s14a/s15 compatability by early next year. i'll wait a bit for it.

the thing i liked about the PFC is that you get the hand controller which gives you some real time data. most importantly knock.

Was an extremely big error in my case then - would have thought an experienced tuner would be smart enough to account for the possibility of error by tuning safely to begin with then fine tuning the map, rather than go straight into pushing the safety line.... and even then as i said we all heard the ping outside of the dyno bay, yet the tuner inside kept pushing.

I pay for expertise, not for someone that makes stupid mistakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

so did they cover the cost of replacement and repairs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:42 pm 
T28

They covered some costs but not even 10% of the overall rebuild....

not going to go into details but it took me over 7 months to get even that little amount back. Not really a good person to deal with when things go pear shaped.

I was lucky enough to be well looked after by Mark, and SSS Automotive as they knew the whole situation and sympathised.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next