Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: standard bumper airflow
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:45 am 
T25

Car: s14 q's
with an intercooler, what setup can you use to get good airflow through the front bumper of the 180sx which is quite restrictive (not many front openings)?

of course without going to an aftermarket bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:11 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
There's plently of openings on the front of a 180 for a front mount. You don't need the the thing hanging out for the whole world to see in order to get good airflow through the core.

Just a regular old 600x300x75 core is fine. Mount it low and as close to the radiator as possible and if you are really worried make up some air guides from the front duct to the front of the core.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:56 am 

Car: MKV Golf
There was enough of an opening for my setup in my old car -

I've seen the same thing though, but with a hole cut out where the number plate sits. I reckon that looks shit though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:55 pm 
T25

badhairdave wrote:
There's plently of openings on the front of a 180 for a front mount. You don't need the the thing hanging out for the whole world to see in order to get good airflow through the core.

Just a regular old 600x300x75 core is fine. Mount it low and as close to the radiator as possible and if you are really worried make up some air guides from the front duct to the front of the core.

thanks

i was more wondering about if i stick an ic in that hole at the bottom of the bumper, how much would the airflow to the radiator suffer? it would be getting warm air from the ic at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:08 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
Stick an air diversion plate where your hood latch is that will help with cooling :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:10 pm 
T25

well it looks like from that picture which is posted that the only air intakes are at the bottom of the bumper.... which suggests an air diversion plate might not help as much as it does to cars with an open grill between the front headlights.

im not going to put an excessively large intercooler in there, but good airflow to the radiator is always important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:20 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
dude . i run a gtr 32 front mount ic in front of my stock radiator... and i never seem to have any over heating problem....been to two track days with breaks inbetween and the hottest i got was 104degrees ......

how hard will you be driving you car and how long at it will you be pushing it like laps after laps or with breaks inbetween? and trust me thats more then enough air flow...

like someone said before just cut it if you feel like its need more flow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:21 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
The airflow to the radiator won't really suffer.

Seriously, people have been sticking cores in the front of 180's for years with no issues.

If it caused problems we'd have heard about it by now.

As far as guides go, you don't necessarily need the opening to be as big as the core you are tryng to cool. Have a look at the ducting in front of some of the gt300 and 500 cars if you get a chance, or the 12 and 24 hour enduro production based cars and you'll see what i mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 pm 
Twin T78

I run my intercooler where the a.c. condensor was - with foam sealing it to the radiator and its fine..

Ducting's easy to make... Just dummy it up with cardboard first, the trace it on some thin sheet metal and cut it out with a stanley knife...

If you are mounting it in the conventional spot (up against the front bar) seal that gap with foam to make sure all the air in the hole goes through the core instead of in the bar then around the core - and you can do sheet metal ducting from the core to the radiator...

Rip out your ac condensor for more flow...

-Mitch

That's what she said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:24 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

i'd like to know more about this foam mitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:38 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
For a good demonstration, look at the stock foam between the upper radiator support and the radiator.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:39 pm 
Twin T78

Sorry, thats something i forgot to add to the end of the post...

The foam-tape is used to seal up gaps in doorframes and stuff and is sold as a "tape"...

Think of it as double sided tape with foam on one side.. they have it in all different dimensions, i used 20x20mm stuff because i had a pretty big gap to fill (and Im extremely lazy!)

Something to also keep in mind is the air pressure outside the car (hitting the front bar) and that of the engine bay.. If you block up the unused holes and you seal the outside of the ones you're using to your intercooler/radiator/oil cooler or whatever the better it will flow...

Another idea if you're mounting the cooler up against the front bar: duct the air from behind it out under the car, and the radiator can grab air from the enginebay, or though an opening like a grille... Dont forget you'll always have the engine fan pulling air through the radiator...

That's what she said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:19 am 
T25

alright cheers everyone, i will place everything a bit further back from the front bar, and use aluminium sheet to duct the air. also need somewhere for the oil cooler!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:58 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 95 180sx
hey BT.. just wondering if you had to cut any of the front bar, or remove the reo to fit that intercooler core in??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:34 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
clip wrote:
alright cheers everyone, i will place everything a bit further back from the front bar, and use aluminium sheet to duct the air. also need somewhere for the oil cooler!!!

the duct where the std SMIC goes would be a good place to start...

Justin...