Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:42 am 
T28

Car: 180sx
hey guys,

my car finally arrived. i took it for a quick spin and it drove great. idling fine, no smoke nothing, but was real low on fuel. anyway i came home from work and my dad had taken it for a spin and decided to put some fuel in it. he only put regular unleaded in it. and when i went to start it up it was idling real rough and when i reved shit smoke would come out the exhaust. he only put a tiny bit in and seems to still be low. I think it could be sucking up dirt or shit from the bottom of the tank??? Does this seem right??? Should i drain it, or just fill it up with like optimax to dilute it and let it run through?? or could it be something more serious? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:41 am 
T78 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
After having received some inside info, I would stay away from Optimax fuel for some time. Fill her up with some 98ron fuel, ie Premium. (most premium is 98ron, not all)double check.
Throw in some Octane Boost addative and let it mix up. Also change oil and engine fluids. Dont over rev it, let it idle in and gradually give it light throttle, take her for a quiet spin so that it all goes through the engine. Your problem should be solved. If that fails, take it to a PROFESSIONAL TUNER.
Though you may find the problem resolved with what I just told ya :)
Never use regular unleaded, these cars are designed to run on high octane fuel with nice high ron levels. In Japan they run on 100ron from my understanding.
Always Premium Unleaded (98Ron) and a little octane boost doesnt hurt either. (The pump will tell ya usually how much Ron the Premium is)
Hope this is of some help.
Please keep us posted on what happens.

Is it a CA18DET or SR20DET out of curiosity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:57 am 
T28

Thanks for the advice mate, i'll tell you how it went later. It's a SR20DET.
I put a post up just after i bought it, but it only arrived about 4 days ago. The specs are as follows:

94 model, manual
HKS blow off valve
Cusco strut brace
Apexi Boost guage
Side skirts/front bar
16 inch wheels
Pedals, momo wheel and gear knob
Turbo back exhaust

I was also wondering, i thought that all the s13 models with the sr20 had a red rocker cover. However my engine has the black rocker cover, which i thought were used in the s14. Does this mean i should have the T25 or T28 turbo???? Do all 94 models have the black cover?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:18 pm 
T78

Car: dead 180
The 180sx from 1994 on has the blacktop motor but it is really the same as a redtop. It has T25G turbo same as the redtop. The later blacktops (s14 and above) have a hump leaning down towards the end which distinguishes them from the earlier blacktops. The later ones also have VVTI and T28 turbo but yours does not. Hope this clears it up for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:31 pm 
T66

Car: Batmobile
spl wrote:
The 180sx from 1994 on has the blacktop motor but it is really the same as a redtop. It has T25G turbo same as the redtop. The later blacktops (s14 and above) have a hump leaning down towards the end which distinguishes them from the earlier blacktops. The later ones also have VVTI and T28 turbo but yours does not. Hope this clears it up for you.

Finally someone got it right! Even ZOOM amd HPI manage to get it wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:05 am 
T28

thanks for the advice, but the problem turned out to be something even simpler. I think it was one of the intake pipes not conected properly. The clamp connecting it had simply come loose and needed to be tightened. Something as simple as that was causing so much shit to come out of the exhaust and the car to run terribly. I ended up filling it up with BP ulitmate and adding some octane boost addaitive and now is running sweet. Thanks for the help anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:37 am 
T78 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
Glad to hear its all sorted:)