Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 15th Oct race report
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:44 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

Car: 180SX
Earlier today it was the Option Land Circuit Championship at Nihonkai Maze. I put my entry in as the weather forecast was good, and sure enough it was 20degC and clear skies, perfect weather 8)

Since last time I've done the brake and tyre upgrades so was hoping for much better than the 1min 14 I did last time.

First thing was I got the tyres put on my spare rims yesterday but had not tried them on the car. Whoops.... the RE55's have quite a sidewall bulge and the rears were too close to the wheelarch edge. 5 mins with a big hammer fixed that and bent the lips back on themselves.

First free practice was just to bed in the brakes and tyres so 3 steady laps, then 3 quick, then into the pits to let it all cool. Best time 1min 12 just bedding it in 8) 2nd fastest overall even though I only did 6 laps of the 15 min session.

There then followed 3 20 min sessions, all timed, to set the grid for the race. I spent this time messing about with suspension settings and getting used to how late you can brake with a decent setup! Best time from the 3 sessions was 1min 10.590, 4 seconds quicker than the previous setup of std brakes and road tyres.

Looking at the tyres it looked like the front camber was about right, but the rear had too much and was not working the outside 1/3 of the tyres enough. Because I've got the std suspension arms there is not much I can do about it right now. I'll keep that in the bank for later though :wink:

It shows that laptimes come from brakes and handling first, not power. Now those 2 are about sorted I'll start looking at power upgrades for the last second or two.

I was second on the grid for the race and when the lights went green I made a flyer, but all of a sudden I realised we had not done a formation lap they talked about in the briefing. I thought everyone had started slowly on purpose, but it turned out it was the race!! I guess that just got lost in my understanding of the japanese drivers briefing. Anyway, I decided it was actually the race and got on with it having not lost any places backing off after the start :lol:

It was a 6 lap race, and I was well chuffed when I won! Best lap was 1min 10.490 so soon I'll be looking for sub 1min10. The other Japanese drivers were a little surprised/p'eed off I think as I yet again had the lowest power most standard looking car there against Imrpeza WRX's, R34GTR's, other 180's, RX7's etc etc. Also they had never seen me before as the last evenI did was a private day. Hahaha, my prize for winning was two trophies, a gallon of oil, and 36 tubs of noodles! Guess what we are living on for the next 2 weeks :lol: :lol:

So the next event is my wife driving on a test day next weekend, then on 11/11 we are going with 5 Japanese friends to Ebisu circuit for a drift open day. Ebisu has no less than 7 different circuits there and we have full acess to the 4 main drift ciruits for only 5,000yen all day! Bargain. The next Option Land race is then 12/11 at Nihonkai so a busy weekend that will be. Next weekend is more cooling and tweak upgrades.

Today is also my birthday so all in all a very good day!

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:58 pm 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
Happy birthday mate!

Congrats on the win :D Sounds like fantastic fun out there!

Post subject: yo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:06 pm 
T88

Car: V-tec Yo
happy birthday champ

good work with the race.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:29 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

http://www.ebisu-circuit.com/gide/gide.htm

I found the link to Ebisu, have a look at the above for a mad set of circuits. For some reason they built it in the middle of a safari park!

Thanks for the B'day wishes, off out now for a meal and a few beers/wine to get in the mood 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:37 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
hahah nice work!! and happy birthday too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: A31 Drift pig
Happy birthday Too!!!

Looks like you'll be having a lot for fun at Ebisu :wink: :D .

S12, N14 SSS, A31 Cefiro, B2 180sx, JZZ30, R33, S14A, A31, R34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:04 pm 
Twin T66

Car: S15
happy birthday and grats on the win :D whats planned for the power upgrades?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:09 am 
Japanese Correspondant

Not decided exactly what to do next. It may be a turbo outlet, downpipe and high flow cat as at the moment they are all standard. A boost controller would be next, and perhaps a fuel controller. A set of 550cc injectors and Z32 AFM would then be as much as I want to do as it gets expensive after that as in new turbo, cams, etc. Those mods should see the turbo as the limiting factor and give about 280bhp.

For this month I'll probably leave it alone and just use it though 8)

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:01 am 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Haha good work!
I'd love to go see Ebisu one day it looks pretty nuts, you should go to drift/grip matsuri when that is on, it's crazy!
I'm in Japan to right now but a pretty long way from you, Hiroshima today but heading back up to Kyoto tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:25 am 
Twin T51

Car: coon
awesome stuff rich, you bastard. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:02 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
it looks like second place won dish washing powder hehe
nice work on the win !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:43 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

second place won 24 noodles and an electric razor, 3rd got 24 noodles and a fan heater!! The most bizzare prizes I've ever seen for motor racing :lol: :lol:

Nebuchernezzer, shame you are so far away.... try to plan your next trip around an event at Ebisu!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:43 am 
T88

Car: CA18DET 1830cc 120kw@6psi
hahah gaijin takes the win. damn barbarians hahaha nice win. good to see a stockish car can stick with some descent cars and pull a win.