Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:35 am 
Japanese Correspondant

Car: 180SX
After all the mods on my car over the last couple of weeks it was time to see how it goes on a circuit. I entered the unlimited grip race, not really knowing what to expect or even what goes on :lol:

I wanted to but a set of Potenza RE55 race tyres but I could find them anywhere other than a one week mail order..... oh dear. Looks like I have to use the Yokohama Advan GP's, well known as a good drift tyre :-?

The event was at Nihonkai Maze circuit, 30 mins south of Niigata on the west coast of Japan, a really picturesque circuit but very narrow, has almost zero run-off anywhere, and very difficult technically. Almost every braking point is on a curve, the kerbs are evil and it undulates. The back straight is actually 3 corners over bumps and it takes some hanging on!

As you will see the weather was perfect. The only snag was I turned up with my pretty standard 180SX to be faced with 20 full race skylines, mitsubishis, silvias etc all on sticky tyres (RE55's :roll: ) or slicks. It was not looking good. Me and the family got my numbers and stuff stuck on and we were ready.

Off I went for the free practice, first time on track with the 180. I posted second fastest overall time! I also realised the tyres were a lost cause, after 3 laps it was really difficult to get out of corners as it just wheelspun. Did some good drifts though :evil: The std road pads were almost on fire when I finished though, clouds of smoke pouring off them 8)

There was then two timed qualifying sessions to set the grids for racing. I posted 9th fastest overall time which was okay given the gear I had and was racing against. Also during these runs it bacame clear the std radiator was not enough. 10 laps of flat out saw the temp near the top so I stopped early.

I made the cut for the A final race! 10 lap race and off we went but soon I was running 7th by myself so just gave the car an easy time as it was getting hot again, and the tyres were well past their best. That was where I finished, not bad 7th from 21 entries. The car was great fun, I've never driven a car so easy to play around with sliding etc. Just needs some upgrades again. Next on the shopping list:

Race radiator
braided lines
4 pot calipers
race pads
set of RE55's

I reckon that lot will be close to 4 seconds a lap, which will put me within 1 second of the race winner. Roll on the next open turbo event. After that some small changes to get a bit more power and I hope it will a skyline eater :evil:

There was open drift there too, here are some pics. About 25 cars in all. Great to watch and the orange skyline got my vote for the best sound and tyresmoke.

until next time......

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:22 pm 
Twin T51

Car: S15 SILVIA
Congradulations, very nice!! good pics.

keep em coming!

Pro Concept = Where all my fuckups get fixed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:01 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Nice!
Keep em coming, updates from Japan are always welcome.
Sounds like you found two of the usual S13 weaknesses, brake pads and radiators.
I found even an S14 radiator is a good upgrade.
They ran the track backwards for drifting?
Shame it's no where near where i'm going (in Japan in a week or two) but i'd love to come out and see a track day at Maze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:59 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
Didnt realise we had a japanese corespondant!! haha

Keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:02 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

I wondered if anyone would notice the track direction... They run all the race and time trials anticlockwise. The drift qualifying events through the day were run the same direction, but for the final "drift off" they took the top 10 cars as voted by the spectators and ran them off against each other using the track backwards. I've got more pics and video, once I get them downloaded and edited I'll put them up on you tube and give the links.

I went back today to watch an open drift event, it was the craziest thing I've ever seen with drivers just going banzai everywhere. Most spent 50% of the lap on the grass! I've got some great vids of it so I'll get some stills off and put it on the web too.

I think I've sorted the brakes, I should be collecting S14 calipers and rotors on Tuesday, together with project mu race pads. Order a set of braided lines tomorrow and a 3 core rad, a set of RE55's and I should be ready for the next race on 15/10, my birthday!

More pics/vid later I hope......

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:34 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
very nice :)

post up some vids if you can !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:10 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
More pics and vids are definitely welcome!
Can someone add 'Japanese Correspondant' under where his avatar goes?
:D

Post subject: t
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:27 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: A31 Drift pig
Nebuchernezzer wrote:
More pics and vids are definitely welcome!

Yeah good suggestion! Keep us all informed Diablo :wink:
The 180 is coming along now..

S12, N14 SSS, A31 Cefiro, B2 180sx, JZZ30, R33, S14A, A31, R34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:29 am 
Japanese Correspondant

4 laps of qualifying should be here on you tube if it uploaded okay! This was on an ancient set of bridgestone potenza road tyres and after 4 laps they were like driving on oil, hence all the arm twirling!

I'm in the process of editing the drift vid, and will get some stills off the vids sorted out over the next couple of nights.

Let me know if the vid works, its been a while since I've made any.

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:22 am 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
Looks like an awesome circuit mate btw are you an aussie living over there? who are you staying with family or something??
Looks like a hanful specially that last triple apex before the straight- how much power are you making?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:37 am 
Japanese Correspondant

The circuit is a handful, maybe you will see more from the drift vid later. For the in car one I had to cable tie the camera to the roll cage rear corner and guess where it was pointing as I could not get to see through the viewfinder. NExt time I'll have a tripod and put the camera in the centre of the car.

My car has not been on a dyno for a power check, but I'd guess about 220ps, nothing to shout about. On those tyres it was plenty though :lol:

I work here in Niigata, my wife and son are with me and we are all english. I am working a contract setting up a new manufacturing facility for engines for a UK company but have lived and worked in Japan before.

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:09 am 

Car: MKV Golf
Nebuchernezzer wrote:

haha - Good idea! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:16 am 
Twin T66

Car: S15
nice coverage, i believe thats the circuit where they've filmed some chapters of bm :) if you have watched them they might be able to give you a few tips to further improve your lap times lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 pm 
T78

Car: 180 Sr20d3t
cool stuff rich- im sure all the other boys are green with envy too :oops:
Now i know where ive seen that course theres a vid with ueo absouletly cutting stick through there linking up the whole course its spastic

But good to have you aboard and japan updates are much welcomed -bring on teh drift vid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:30 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

I'm not sure what BM is, but the latest edition of "drift master" magazine with Nomuken was filmed there and I've been studying the DVD :wink:

Chiba? I guess that is Chiba as in Tokyo? If you are in Japan it would be rude not to meet up for an event sometime.

Okay, drift vid uploading to youtube as I type this. This was one 20 min session I edited down to 6 mins for the web. They basically put 25 cars out all at once and craziness followed. I've not video'ed half what happened as there was so much! The scary bit is where cars have spun off the rest just carry on drifting past :o

Just after my tape ran out the inevitable happened and a 180SX spun out and the white supra ploughed straight into it pretty much writing off both cars. No surprise really. Also note the amount of time the yellow one spends off the track, truly lacking a brain :lol:

Click here 22mb so broadband only! worth it though, let me know what you think and feel free to share the vid link if there is somewhere else on SNSW you put stuff like this.

Cheers,
Rich