Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:25 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

Car: 180SX
I fitted the new 3 core radiator yesterday, I thought the std one was 2 core hence buying a 3, image my surprise when I took out the standard single core one!! No wonder these cars have overheating issues on track. Here are a couple of pics of the std (silver) and 3core (black) together.

From racing today the temp still climbed from the normal running temp a little so more cooling is needed. I reckon next weekend will be spent cutting up the std front reinforcing bar, a big hole in the front bar, and spacing the back of the bonnet up 25mm. I'll also remove the undertray. All those should give much higher airflow through the engine compartment and therefore more cooling.

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:59 pm 
Twin T66

Car: S15
i hope s15 radiators arn't single core? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:01 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i think they are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:50 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

Well I went out today to get hold of a second hand set of rims to use for drift tyres. A scout round Niigata had me at second hand autobacs and I bought a set of 4 16" (7J fr, 8Jrr) 5 spoke alloys for 8,400yen, gotta be bargain of the year. Not in bad condition, but they are going to have tyre changes every two weeks so no point spending a fortune.

Whilst doing this I noticed one front wheel was about 20mm further back in the wheelarch than the other :( I guess one too many kerbings at the last race meeting 8) It looked like the tension rod bushes have gone west so it was a short drive up to my mate Iwamoto's garage. As luck would have it he had a second hand set of rose jointed adjustable rods for 2,000yen! Second bargain of the day so in the boot they went.

Whilst there I got talking and said I've done the tyres, suspension and brakes, now it was time for a tad more power. I asked what the cheapest/bang for the buck mods were given I've already got an intercooler, HKS actuator, high flow fuel pump and intercooler on. He said just wind the boost up to 1.1bar and add a fuel computer. Off into his workshop he went and came back out with a Greddy e-manage second hand unit! Well it would be rude not so I've agreed for him to get the harness for it, a speed cut defender, and do the install/tuning around the 30th Oct. Total cost 70,000 fitted and set up. He reckons it should see about 270ps, so touching 200kw. I'll have to buy an aluminium turbo intake pipe first though as the rubber one will turn itself inside out :lol:

Realistically without pouring a small fortune into the car that is as much power as I can get on the std turbo, injectors, cams and manifolds.

After all that shopping it was a short trip to the hardware shop for 40 washers and 4 long bolts so I can space the pack of the bonnet up to increase airflow through the engine compartment.

All in all I went out to spend 10,000yen and ended up spending nearly 10 times that :lol:

I must stop buying stuff, I must stop buying stuff, I must stop buying stuff............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:31 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
make sure you let us know how the emange goes.... maybe they actually know how to use it over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:19 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

I guess from that comment there has been some problems over there with e-manage setups. As with any computer based system they can only be as good as the person who sets it up. Iwamoto uses one in his 500bhp S13, I take it from that he knows what he's doing :wink: I'll update at the start of Nov once its installed and I've run the car a little.

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:39 pm 
Twin T51

im really only basing that comment on forum trash. im sure there are people in aus who are'nt having any trouble tuning the emanage, they just dont seem to be as popular or as easy to setup as say a power fc. speaking of which, surely the power fc is a fairly cheap option over there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:29 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Emanage will do the job for tweaking the stock setup with some bigger injectors.

Just make sure when you swap injectors you get some with the same lag as stock (nismo 555 or 740s will do it) or will have all sorts of problems.

Personally, i hate the things after having one myself and also playing with razors when he still had the CA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:03 am 
Twin T51

badhairdave wrote:
playing with razors when he still had the CA.

razor, ca and an emanage.... sure that wasnt a bad dream? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:51 am 
Twin T66

Car: S15
definatley keep us updated, does the 180 have a t25 or 28??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:59 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
splashman wrote:
badhairdave wrote:
playing with razors when he still had the CA.

razor, ca and an emanage.... sure that wasnt a bad dream? :P

if it was wired properly in the first place it would have been ok :P

lucky i fixed it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:32 am 
Japanese Correspondant

Sure I'll update after the install, you've all got me a little worried, I'll have to stick with my faith in Iwamoto on this one!

My car has the std T25 turbo which I beleive is good for about 280ps. I will not be going quite that far. I did find a second hand garrett T04E in Up Garage on Saturday though, I wonder if they bolt straight on.....?

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:23 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Gazelle - CA20E
ZEi20T wrote:
if it was wired properly in the first place it would have been ok :P

lucky i fixed it lol

Although that was an issue, it still had its random tune changes. Yet turns out the CA had a dodgy knock sensor so who knows. Good luck with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:38 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Do not buy a t04e. You will regret it from the first time you take the car down the street.

Stick with the tried and tested garrett gt28 range if you want a bolt on solution with enough potential flow to make the stock fuel system run and hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:47 am 
Japanese Correspondant

Oppps, spent more :oops:

Tension rods now fitted, I got them second hand for 2,000yen. The std ones with great big rubber bushes are no where near stiff enough to take race brakes/tyres.

Whilst I had the car in the air it was also time to hack some venting in the front bar and reinforcer to increase airflow through the rad and intercooler.

I also used a bunch of washers to space the bonnet back edge 20mm up from the hinges and removed all the sealing strips. All that should keep everything much cooler.

As its getting the boost wound up I also needed a cast turbo inlet pipe as the standard rubber one will just collapse. Cue a phone call to KTS and a could of days later a "cool power induction kit" landed on the doorstep. Total cost 16,000yen.

I thought the kit was just the cast pipe, I didn't realise it came with a new filter too 8) An hour saw it all fitted but not without a bit of messing about. I wanted to use my HKS pod filter but the alu cast pipe is longer than std so there was no room. Also none of the std mounting brackets would fit so it took a bit of messing about and bracket making to get it all fitted.

After all that I cut a big hole in the front bar to match the reinforce bar cutout and drove the car up to Iwamoto's. He's fitting and setting up the Greddy E-manage on Mon and Tues so I should have the car back Tue or Wed evening. Fingers crossed, it should be at the max I can do on the std cams/turbo.

Cheers,
Rich

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next