Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The mods have begun...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

Car: 180SX
After spending last month fixing the cars power problems, at last this months payday came around and it was time to waste it on tuning bits :lol: A few phone calls and a couple of days later saw several boxes turn up

unpacking some soon had the living room full :lol:

In total I bought the following:

7 piece full roll cage and pads(KTS new) 31,500yen
FMIC and pipe kit (KTS new) 37,000yen
full race 3" seatbelt and pads (KTS new) 10,500yen
bride seat rail (Qshop used) 7,800yen
Bride race seat (Q Shop used) 5,800yen
Half size battery (Iwamoto new) 2,980yen
Fully adjustable track suspension inc adj upper mounts (Lead new) 74,000yen
Hopefully tomorrow will see a nice set of 5 spoke 17" rims (7" front, 8" rear) with part worn Yokohama's for 40,000yen

I hope to be doing my first competition in Japan on 30/9/06 at Nihonkai circuit but will probably go for the grip race rather than the drift until I get more circuit time drifting. I've done 20 years of grip racing but hardly any drift.

Some pics from today, so far all the interior is finished. Tomorrow is suspension day and FMIC on Monday. Should be track ready then!

Front strut

Front upper mount

Rear strut

The rear inside with the cage in

My son testing the new seat and belts :lol:

I've left the rear seats and carpets in for two reasons. One is I use thsi car to drive 50 miles a day commuting and from past experience a car without carpets mists up something terrible in winter. The second is my son loves going into the mountains drifting so I had to leave the other seats in so he can still enjoy it. In fact its just about all he talks about!

More pics tomorrow hopefully with suspension in and maybe new wheels.

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:33 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
Looks like Christmas time at your place mate!!

Some good lookin gear there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:12 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
A full cage cost less than a front mount kit! And under 400 bucks!

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep... :cry:

What brand is the suspension? Any details?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:20 am 
Japanese Correspondant

I could not believe how cheap it all was, and the cage fitted perfectly too. I know that usually if you buy cheap stuff its a nightmare to fit. The KTS stuff I am well impressed with, and the suspension is better than I expected visually. A couple of weeks will see how it performs on track and road too.

http://www.kts-web.com is where most of the stuff came from, the suspension came from http://www.lead-racing.com I bought the FTA 180SX full set. On the Lead website click on footwork. I got 8k front and 6k rear springs, maybe a tad soft for hardcore drift, but as I use the car every day I need to protect my kidneys a little :lol:

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:50 pm 
Twin T66

Car: S15
dam :P 5800 for bride, cheaper than the rail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:23 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Nice looks good, better then x mas :).
Quote:
I got 8k front and 6k rear springs, maybe a tad soft for hardcore drift

I'll dissagree with that, i run 8/6 but i have run lower rates before and been very happy with them for drifting to.
Personal preferance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:46 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

Thanks for the info Nebuchernezzer, I was told by a good 180SX drifter that 10k front, 8k rear was the best, but no good for daily driving too. I hope to do my first citrcuit drift day mid Oct so time will tell.

Out of interest how much preload do you run front and rear with the 8k/6k setup? I've just put all the suspension on, dropped the ride height 10mm all round and given it 5mm preload front, 7mm rear as a starting point. Set all adjusters mid point and 2 degrees camber on the front.

The suspension I took off was the worst condition I've ever seen. The rears were KBS adjustable and had absolutely no damping at all and very soft springs, the fronts were Nismo and had a touch of damping and springs about 6k. No wonder it handled like a bag of crap. Pics later.....

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:45 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
I run bearly any preload at all, as far as i know most S13 drivers in oz who drift run 8/6kg springs cos it seems to be the most common and they just bolt them in and go. I don't find 8/6 to bad for daily but my old rates (which i don't actually know, but were certainly softer, perhaps 6/5) were better.
From my dori ten mags it looks like japanese drivers tend to play with rates more but the rates used vary wildly.
For example i'll grab some rates at random from an issue i have on the desk here:
S13 Onevia from Osaka 10/7kg
S14 from Hyogo 8/6kg
S13 Silvia from Mie 8/6kg
S14 Silvia from Yamagata 10/8kg
S15 Silvia from Kumamoto 8/6kg
S13 180sx from Saitama 7/7kg
S14 Silvia from Hiroshima 6/5kg
S13 Onevia from Aichi 9/7kg

All those cars are driven by pretty high level drivers, all comparable in skill to each other, so yeah i'd say it's whatever rate you prefer.
Also out of interest power outputs varied wildly on those cars i mentioned despite them competing at the same level, some of them are running just an S15 turbine/550s/Z32 AFM, whereas others are running 2.2L SR kits, TD0625G etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:46 pm 
Japanese Correspondant

some pics from today. First is the manky old rear coilovers I took off, well past their best.....

and the new rears in place

the new fronts on

and a shot of the interior in daylight

This evening I've been and bought a set of 17" alloys (7" front, 8" rear), but when I went to put them on the inner diameter for the wheel wrench is too small so I need some new nuts smaller than the 21mm a/f I've got. Also the fronts need about 15mm worth of spacer so its back to the second hand shop tomorrow after the FMIC is fitted 8)

I managed a test drive on the mods so far, what a difference, its so planted now and the couple of opportunities I had it drifted very nicely :evil:

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:14 pm 
T25

Car: 1994 Mitsubishi Galant
Geez mate thats parts looks Smick :D, keep up the good work ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:42 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
very nice ! everythings so cheap :cry: :cry:

show us some vids of drifting action in japland 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:02 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Whats the car scene like in Niigata? Anything for the average tourist to do? I'd need to convince the wife that we need to go to Niigata on our trip there next year

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject: t
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:28 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: A31 Drift pig
too_much_boost wrote:
Whats the car scene like in Niigata? Anything for the average tourist to do? I'd need to convince the wife that we need to go to Niigata on our trip there next year

Ahh "where theres a will theres a way"
I'm convincing the gf at the moment, that it's a good idea to go skiing in Hokaido so I can have a couple of day's stop over in Tokyo to check out the car scene....

Anyway back on topic, Diablo cant wait to see a pic of the car with the new rims?

S12, N14 SSS, A31 Cefiro, B2 180sx, JZZ30, R33, S14A, A31, R34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:49 am 
Japanese Correspondant

I got the intercooler mounted yesterday, fitted fine with no probs at all except for 2 bolts that broke on removal, and the fact I only own a battery drill and one 8.5mm drill bit :lol: I managed though, and got the battery hole cut out by chain drilling.

The first nightmare was the car at some time in its life has had a small crash on the front right side which had bent all the std intercooler mounts so it was impossible to get the bolts out. A lot of hammering and bending later saw the tiny crap std intercooler in the bin.

Here is it done, my main aim is for the stealth look so back on with the std front bumper for me, the only giveaway is the side mounted number plate.

Also the new wheels, I bought them as they were cheap, only 40,000yen for 17", 7J front, 8J rear with half worn yokohama something-or-others on. After driving the car in the rain with bald rear tyres last week I needed new tyres :lol: At first I thought the white might look a bit gay, but actually now I think its quite good with the white and black theme going on.

As for the car scene in Niigata, there are a few places but no where near as crazy at Tokyo. Round here seems to be night drifting in the hills but knowing where to go and when is tricky. So I just do it during the day :lol:

For touristy stuff there is Sado island a quick ferry ride away, the Big Swan stadium for football and concerts, and plenty of places to visit if you like traditional japanese guest houses and onsens and stuff. There is Nihonkai circuit that has events on most days, but a couple of times a month has decent size race events, the other events tend to be low key local stuff. And of course the best sake and beer in Japan.....

Cheers,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:13 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Nice rims. My wife's S12 gazelle has them in charcoal metallic. They are Work ewings RSZ or something aren't they?

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php