Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:18 pm 
T28

i replaced my clutch ok. im now tryin to put tranny back to its place but not enough clearance to move around. i know i should put it back the way i removed it. but i seem to be 1cm short of clearance. the tranny is hitting the top side of car shell. i cannot force it in cuz the shaft will hit the diaphram spring. i thought of lowering the engine but don't know how. the clutch kit has identical dimensions as the old one. the car is s13 sr20det. does anyone know what i might not be doing right? early replies appreciated. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:57 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
could the engine have shifted a bit while you had the gearbox off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:41 pm 
T28

i don't think so cuz i had a hard time too when i lowered the tranny. i had to squeeze it out a bit from its side and cuz i was going to replace the clutch anyway, i did not matter so much when it touched the diaphram spring on its way down.

does anyone know how to lower the engine a bit from the engine mounts? (which screws to undo)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:53 am 
T28

btw, i tried putting it back sideways but dump pipe is on the way. i'll try to lift the front-end of the engine with a jack tomorrow to see if it will effectively lower the back-end of the engine (hopefully). all i need is one or two centimetres clearance. aaaaggghhh!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:34 pm 
Twin T04

Car: SR20DET Navara and 2002 Lancer
thats what i was going to suggest. im not actually sure of the weight distribution of the stock engine mounts (obviously) but from playing around with mine, if i take the tranny off i need a jack at the front of the motor to hold it level.
jacking it up should lower the back of the motor.

good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:52 pm 
T28

i managed to lower the back-end of the engine by putting a jack under the oil pan (which tilted the engine a bit as expected) and position the shaft inside the clutch. it was not necessary to turn the tranny sideways. however, i am approx 1.5cm short of being able to close the tranny bell housing with the clutch/engine side. the shaft-splines appear to be in sync with and inside the the spline of the clutch/flywheel assembly but could not push right to the end. i used a clutch alignmnet tool and it should be centred (if i trust my eyes and accuracy). i may be able to put couple of bolts to help close the housing "forcibly" but i am not inclined to do so, cuz i might cause internal damage. i thought i should be able to just slide in the shaft very easily. i also applied grease to the shaft's spline and other areas required. how easy or how hard should i be pushing the shaft in? does it mean that it's not centred aligned? what can cause bending of the shaft (if it's bent which i did not check)? thanks for early replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:06 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13 SR20DE
I would try and put in some bolts and do them up slowly and dont use a lot of force when doing them this should pull it closer together and more in alignment also use a drift or podgy bar (its basicilly a lencth of round steel with a point on one end) to help line up the bolts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:34 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: jon5318
Can u plz write a detailed description of how u took g.box out and put it back in as I have to do it soon to change seals. Any tips appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:35 am 
T28

snoop: i will as soon as i have completed this one. i will also include pics for better understanding. i'm just waiting for the hot weather to disappear so i can work in the driveway. just hang in there.

why do you need to replace seals? what's wrong with your gearbox (you may not need to take it down). if oil leaks, where is it coming from?

just a tip, if there's nothing wrong with other components, leave them alone; they're better off by themselves, otherwise you may not be able to put them back as they were originally. but make sure you also change the release bearing. if there is oil dripping from somewhere, then that's the time to replace oil seals, like rear oil seal or top gearbox oil seal. also expect that oil will drip at the back of the gearbox so make sure you plug the end with a rug at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:58 am 
T78 Hybrid

Car: Nissan Silvia S14A
yeah pics!!!!

wicked! :lol: