Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:51 pm 
T25

Car: 180sx(one day :P)
Hello everyone,

I have been pointed this direction by a friend who also is part of this forum, after getting pretty much nowhere by posting on whirlpool. And I know you guys are knowledgable :)

Im in the market for a 180sx, stock as possible, with a pretty good history.

Having a look around private, its actually pretty hard to find one that is either not done up, or has been thrashed and looks suspect. As such Im considering purchasing via a dealer.

Being in QLD(yes, I know the site is nsw....) there is not many about, but via carsales.com came across these guys:

http://www.mjrmotorsport.com/

Speaking to them over the phone, they tell me they fly out to japan, select and purchase the cars at auction, and then ship them back, comply and service them, and then sell them to the general public. Sounds good.

Im thinking, should be able to save time/hassel trade in my existing car, and get the 180.

However, I am slightly concerned about the price....

$15,000 inc onroads/rego/warrenty for a 92' SR20DET 180sx with 70,000 on the clock. For me, it just seems a little high.....

Add to that, he has, over the phone after speaking to wholesalers, valued my car at $9,000. Current car is a 2001 2.6L V6 Holden Vectra with 125,000 on the clock(120k service done which is timing belt - done) and has ~10 months rego and ~8 months warrenty)

He does seem negioatable, but he does seem fairly hard on the price over the phone(in person it might be different).

What is your opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:03 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Dealer prices are typically higher but you really aren't getting any benefit by using them over private sellers.

You have no garantee that a car in japan is in better condition than an equivalent car here. I'd tend to think that cars here get serviced a bit more regularly.

As for trade in, don't do it. You are better off negotiating an out right purchase price for the new car and selling your own off privately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:30 pm 
T25

What would you say would be an acceptable price to pay to a dealer ?

Also, any idea on the sale price on my existing car?

I suppose Im just trying to get a feel for the market/prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:03 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I can't say what reasonable dealer prices in qld are, but 15k sounds about 3k higher than most stock srdet sils go for privately. The km's on the car seem pretty low aswell, but you may be one of the lucky few who has found one without the odometer tampered with. Check in the glove box and inside the doors for service stickers or marks where stickers have been, also check original service books if it has them. A genuine low k car will almost certainly have the book as it is a selling point.

Getting one pre modded also makes alot of financial sense if you know what to look for and can spot dodgy work. A car with a few mods like exhaust and filter but no boost controller is a pretty safe bet, particularly if it's been serviced regularly and has been in the country for a couple of years.

As for your car's market price, best to check your local classifieds and the trading post over a month or so and see what sells and the sort of money it goes for. I'd say that your current car is probably worth a fair bit more than what the dealer is offering as a trade in, solely because he will be looking to make reasonable money out of it.

The other thing with trade in's is you tend to lose out both ways. You get less than the value of the trade in but pay a bit more on the new car as you have lost a bit of bargaining power. You can always walk if you are only negotiating for a new car and try someone else where as it's a bit more effort when everyone has to go over your car before hand and then check the market and come back to you a day later with a trade price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:34 am 
T88

Car: Bike: Kwa ZX2-R, Ma R6, Daytona 675
Might want to consider the time frame to import a car too. It may take up to 3 months (or more if there are importing issues). Buying locally means you get to see/drive what you will soon own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:59 am 
T25

ThuanSUX wrote:
Might want to consider the time frame to import a car too. It may take up to 3 months (or more if there are importing issues). Buying locally means you get to see/drive what you will soon own.

The car is in the yard.

I think I have decided to sell my existing car private anyway, as with a trade in I would be looking at a $3,000 loss on what I paid for it.

I paid $12,000 add rego, etc since. It *has* done 125,000 on the clock so via a dealer it was a good price.

Been offered trade in for $9,000 - while I can afford that, I do not simply wish to "waste" so much money.

Redbook lists the bottom end of the price bracket for my car as $11,900 private sale(with 130,000) so I figure with the rego, recent service, and good condition its in, should be able to get at least $12k(will list for say $12,800).

Thats of course assuming someone wants to buy it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:35 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Private sale will always get better results, and then it's more money to eithe spend on your new 180sx, or purchase even bigger and better things.......

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:08 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Definately sell yours private...

As for the 180 I paid 15K privately last year for a stock as a rock 10/95 model with 74 or 77klms on it. I looked at buying OS but the right one turned up local so I went that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:55 pm 
Quad T51

Definitely sell yours privately, you'll get a much better price.

Speaking to a dealer a few months ago I told him about my car, that its an S15, modified with this and that etc.. and he said "what are you expecting for it, mid 20's?" :roll: