Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:00 am 
T28

Car: 180sx
hey guys, i have a turbosmart dual port blow off valve on my sr20 and i'm having back firing issues at around 2,000rpm on decel in 2nd gear, it's quite loud when it happens 2. however, when i block the plumb-back line with a clamp the backfiring stops all together, but i also only get a flutter back through the pod filter instead of the blow off valve firing. any1 experienced any problems like this? if so, what are the steps in fixing it, would it be a tuning process? thanks guys, matt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:45 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i think your best bet would be to remove the BOV, take it apart and clean it and lubricate all the moving parts. its probably getting stuck open, or opening a little on decel. then put it back in a test it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:58 pm 
T25

Car: 1994 180sx SR20DET 5spd
Cutting off the plumb back line does not seem like a good idea, as it is likely that that fluttering noise is NOT your pod filter and is in fact the air going back through the compressor wheel in the wrong direction, which will shorten the life of your turbo and in extreme situations can damage the blades leading to imminent failure.

If you MUST run your car this way then I recommend being very gentle when u lift off the throttle (similar to trying to silence a fully-venting bov when the cops are around) as when u lift off hard, ur inlet suddenly experiences vacuum conditions and the air will, as mentioned before, be sucked very hard back up the piping and through the turbo in the wrong direction, causing that 'fluttering' sound. I agree, however, that this sound is quite nice. The fluttering sound, on the other hand, can be caused by your BOV not flowing enough air..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:27 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx ca18det
i have the same problems,

i just fitted a BOV to my ca18, it never backfired b4 now i have the same problem, mine happens wen the turbo spools up but i dont use all the boost, i shift at like 4k or sumthing.

i can understand the BOV getting held open but how does this explain the backfire??

all i can think of is that its loosing boost so its not getting the right air/fuel ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:44 pm 

another thing is that they could be externally venting BOVs, that will make the car run rich when it vents to the atmosphere. thus making the car think there is more air than there actually is. more fuel with less air makes it more rich, and backfiring will occurr because the fuel ends up in the exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:47 pm 
T28

so it couldn't be anything 2 do with tuning air/fuel or anything like that. the majority of the time it happens is when she's warm. i've been told 2 put a restrictor in the plumb back line, so i tried a couple of small hose connectors 2 decrease the flow, even thought of putting a smaller diameter plumb back line on, but somehow, i think it's not gonna help. i think its a failry clean bov, i've had troubles with it since new, even tried contacting turbosmart, but i was just sent the install instructions, and it's installed exactly 2 specs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:54 pm 
T28

hey zei20l, that does make sense, maybe a power fc could help my problems, it's a good excuse 2 buy 1 anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:01 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: CA18DET Datsun 1200
This is an MAFM + atmo-venting BOV problem.

So Zei20L has got it right.

The standard Nissan ECUs rely heavily on the MAFM signal to determine how much fuel to add. If a big volume of air "goes missing" from the intact tract via a BOV, then it will overfuel. It's that simple.

The flutter noise is the turbo "copping abuse", a cheap or mistuned BOV will also make this noise occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:37 pm 
T28

i think since the plumb back line is blocked off, it creates a pressure lock at the top of the bov piston and the pressure in the intake can't physically push the piston up 2 release the pressure, so therefore it reverts back 2 the turbo. i no it's not good 4 it... but the back firing at times causes my car 2 stall. its at decel usually stopping quickly, the rpm dropping real quick, eg having the revs at 4,000 and pushing the clutch in. i think once a power fc goes in, i think the fuel curve on decel at low rpm needs adjusting, i got a feeling that'll solve the problem. thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:24 pm 
Quad T51

Just get a plumb back blow off valve or plumb back your existing bov, they sound pretty good anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:46 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 94 180sx street, 93 180sx track project
i got a turbosmart bov to on a ca, i cant say i hav any backfiring, but i did get a slight enriching, with then fluttering, i got this to at realy row rpm but seeing my bov it spring rate adjustable, i set it really soft and it is minimal, so just find a place that can do a new SOFTER spring or just run more boost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:55 pm 

thats because its a CA, enough said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:11 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 94 180sx street, 93 180sx track project
hey hey hey there aint nuffin wrong with da good old ca's, so far shes been good for me n ive killed many sr20s goin around out this way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:12 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
then they weren't trying,or couldn't drive.

don't go too soft on a BOV spring,as you'll then get idle problems as it'll suck false air through the loose valve diaphragm,particularly if you're running a cheap atmo BOV.

I used to get occasional backfiring on my GF's S14 when it had a turbosmart atmo BOV fitted,regardless of how it was setup. there's a trust type R on there now,and while it does flutter a bit more than before,the idle is more stable and there's no backfiring anymore since it went on.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:13 am 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
watto wrote:
hey zei20l, that does make sense, maybe a power fc could help my problems, it's a good excuse 2 buy 1 anyway!

Good time to buy a Haltech that uses a MAP sensor then you can run your atmo BOV without back firing or puffs of black smoke on decel :D

I was at Adams the other day when he had a car on the dyno with a PFC and an atmo BOV. Everytime it would spool down after the power run it would backfire after it idled right down and puff of black smoke.

Curious as to why it was doing this I asked Adam he said it does it on most AFM / atmo BOV cars.