Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:24 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
The way I see it technology is a way of improving on some thing or fixing some thing thats broke if you want to speak that way.

Candles drip wax everywhere. Light bulbs fixed that

Skitzo pointed out the train.

Carbies were okay but wore out and became inneffiecient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:29 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Thats what im getting at stuff can work but a little bit of thinking and it works a lot better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:31 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: 02 200sx Spec R
Pig Magnet wrote:
silvia200sx wrote:
i thinks its the 4 cylinder porsche 928

928s are V8, 924s are 4cyclinder.

hahaha tks man, that y i thought it was one of those shapes, but yeh it was the 924's, do they go?

bcoz it definitely wasnt a porsche v8 unless those 928's go like the 5ltr commodores :wink:

Green s14a: crashed :(
White s14a: stolen :(
Red s15: current :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:42 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
JayS14 wrote:
Thats what im getting at stuff can work but a little bit of thinking and it works a lot better

And this doesn't relate to push rod engines how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
silvia200sx wrote:
Pig Magnet wrote:
silvia200sx wrote:

hahaha tks man, that y i thought it was one of those shapes, but yeh it was the 924's, do they go?

924's do NOT go. from memory they're a car built by VW originally intended to be sold as an audi under license. audi took one look at it and ran for the hills,so porsche picked them up. they've been the LEAST sucessful model in the company's history.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:21 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
badhairdave wrote:
JayS14 wrote:

And this doesn't relate to push rod engines how?

particularly when the one we've been discussing makes 3 times the power with 10% of the emissions of it's original version. that's not called development? what is then?

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 pm 
T51 Hybrid

fergo308 wrote:
silvia200sx wrote:
Pig Magnet wrote:
silvia200sx wrote:

924's do NOT go. from memory they're a car built by VW originally intended to be sold as an audi under license. audi took one look at it and ran for the hills,so porsche picked them up. they've been the LEAST sucessful model in the company's history.

Justin...

oh ok then, no wonder it didnt really pull away from my sri.....hahaha......i can say ive kept up wit a porsche.....haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:32 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Fa(s)t red boat
The poor old 924 was designed by Porsche, to be made by stock VW parts in an Audi factory. Kinda like us having GMH design a car, to be made by stock Ford parts and palmed off to have the monkeys at the Mitsubishi factory throw it togther.

Its going to suck however you look at it...

My only other real contribution to this thread would be to have your suspension tuned up and tyres with a nice soft sticky compound and watch as he hammers down the straight off the mark, hits the fuck-me-deads at the first corner, wallows like a fat bitch in heels, throws out the anchor and kitchen sink to slow down while you float past on the inside.

Alternatively, spend the money on penis enlargements and smash every panel in that domestic shitbox with your massive cock of justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:20 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
The 928 doesn't go either. I've driven/been in a few and they are alright, but nothing like the normal designed rear engine Porsche. Most/all of the 928s are auto as well. I'd say an SRI would be able to keep up, if not beat it.

I was thinking 'bout wacking an SR in a 924 the other day, but it might be a little hard getting it passed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:59 am 
T51 Hybrid

oh tks for the info guys, the good thing is that my sri is my daily driver so fuel economy is great and it handles pretty good too.....hahah should take it on track :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:54 pm 
T25

Car: onehunderedandeighty
back to topic.. i chewed my mates 308 vq caprice wif air intake and zorst, beat him by prolly 3 car lengths within 350m. i got 180 t28 fmic zorst 10psi etc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:58 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
drew268 wrote:
back to topic.. i chewed my mates 308 vq caprice wif air intake and zorst, beat him by prolly 3 car lengths within 350m. i got 180 t28 fmic zorst 10psi etc!

Buy prolly 3 car lengths and you have a zorst, Your my hero. :D :D

Nissansilvia is thata way my hectic bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:27 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
There is some real lack of history in this thread for starters the first GM V8 to appear was in the 55 Chev, which makes it 5 decades old.

No technology change in that time you have to be kidding. For the first 2 years of production the V8 Chev never even had an oil filter. Chev introduced factory hydraulic roller cams in the 80's. Clearly some of you have not had a tappet cover off any late model Small Block or other wise you would have noticed shaft mounted roller rockers.

Steel cranks were common on early sixties performance cars and they were fuel injected as well (mechanical and not all the great but fuel injected). Strong internals? back in the 60's the had compression ratios around 12:1 with factory forgies.

Every dog has it's day and definately the V8 has had it's but don't right it off just yet. Don't forget you can always bolt turbos to the Gen3. How big a stroker kit can you fit in the SR???

Yes you can make the same big HP numbers out of the SR, but anyone who has been in a serious V8 that makes the same HP will tell you they are not the same experience.

When was the last time you saw a 10 second pass out of an SR lifting the front wheels with all of the trim still in the car? Or sitting at the light with a massive cam literally shaking the car.

I miss the days of being able to afford to drive a 4 klm per litre fuel guzzler but times must change and we must move forward but that doesn't make the past any less valid.

Post subject: v8 = rubbish
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:36 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
yeah your totaly right in what you say about the V8, BUT considering V8's are at LEAST 5LTR's to the SR's 2LTR, i think most would agree the SR has it over the V8 in every way possible... And for the money involved in producing a powerfull SR, is nothing compard to the cost involved in producing the same amount of power out of a V8 :D

Now to the point of this POST....

I get my license back in 2 months so i will be sure to post up the times of the run as im supprised how many hits this post has received.. must be alot of interested members out there :D ... Keep you all posted !!

Post subject: Re: v8 = rubbish
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:38 pm 
T28

Car: Nissan 180sx
dk180 wrote:
yeah your totaly right in what you say about the V8, BUT considering V8's are at LEAST 5LTR's to the SR's 2LTR, i think most would agree the SR has it over the V8 in every way possible... And for the money involved in producing a powerfull SR, is nothing compard to the cost involved in producing the same amount of power out of a V8 :D

Now to the point of this POST....

I get my license back in 2 months so i will be sure to post up the times of the run as im supprised how many hits this post has received.. must be alot of interested members out there :D ... Keep you all posted !!

No I dont think most people who know what they are talking about would...
An internally unopened LS1 with better intake, exhaust, LS1 edit and mafless tune can make upwards of 350hp atw, and run a low 12 second quarter. Thats about $4000 - $5000 worth of modification.

This is in a VZ ute by the way. Poor traction would be affecting this time as well Id imagine.
Bottom line? Not a lot of money for a damn quick car.

Having said that, turbocharged small capacity engines definitely have benefits too. But you cant say one is better than the other. If you do, you are extremely narrow minded and stupid. And chances are, one day you will be pretty badly embarrased by a car with one of the very engines you disregard as boat anchors.

My first car was an excel and I thought about putting a 4G63 into it (2L turbo mitsi engine for those who dont know - put into VR4s and evos as well as some other cars).
Reseaching the conversion on the net, I found a vid of a well set up excel with a 4G63 in it, where it dusted a Dodge Lightening ute from a rolling start, a few times. Basically this ute has a version of the Viper 10cyl engine in it. Its big, heavy, and pretty damn quick.

Anyway point is - there were stacks of comments about the video, where narrow minded people just couldnt get their head around the fact that a jap shitbox with a turbocharged engine could beat a car powered by a 10cyl engine.
Apparently the ute wasnt trying, apparently the ute wasnt ready for the rolling start, etc etc etc. The simple fact of power to weight meant the excel had it covered. STILL some people couldnt believe '10cyl power' could lose.

People really need to learn to respect the strong points of engines. Yeah they have negatives, as every type of engine will, but this is part and parcel of designing something - theres always a compromise. V8s are good because they make power. They use big capacity to do so. Turbo 4s are great for the same reason - they make power. They just used forced induction to do so.

Luke

TeamImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next