Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:08 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: 02 200sx Spec R
well i'll just keep reading ur post to learn, coz im not as mechanically minded as u guys r, and plus this conversation will go on and on...

as each person will have their own knowledge, facts and opinions, but i admit i never like the v8's or mainly the ford & holdens (especially the older ones), but since i sat in a standard gen3 and standard sr20 as ive driven both, ive learned that i must respect all cars as these engines are not comparable...

its like hearing people goin on about rice burners or milk and juice capacity, all engines have their pros and cons......comparing sr20 to gen3 r like comparing vtec to rb25's.....

it really depends on what u need and what ur budget is!

like a little incident last nite
(i know i should not do this) but i had a run from boundary st to roseville bridge in my sri to i thinks its the 4 cylinder porsche 928, and funny enough i was close to his tail up to 140km'h as he kept speeding after that, but like i wouldnt say that his car is slow as hes only racing a barina, but the fact is whether i win or lose, his engine is older than mine so his car was designed to compete in the 80's and i have to repect that !

sorry guys im not sure if this makes sense, but mayb i just wanted to tell my story
:wink:

Green s14a: crashed :(
White s14a: stolen :(
Red s15: current :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:46 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
fergo308 wrote:
there's an old saying you might have heard before: 'if it 'aint broke,don't fix it'.

Justin...

the thing i dont like about this quote is, that just because it aint broke, doesnt mean it cant be improved :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:09 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
and that's exactly what they've done. not just chucked it out because it was getting a bit old and wasn't impressing the kiddies anymore.
hit google and dig up some specs on each version (original and current) of the small block chev in 350CI form,and get back to me if you can't see any improvements over the years.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:02 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
omg wrote:
Quote:
On the plus side, with a big nat atmo engine I don't have to do oil changes every 5000km. I don't have to idle the engine down for as long. Wide variances in temperature (especially heat, which is a major issue in Australia) don't affect NA motors like they do FI motors.

To be honest here you're showing the exact same ignorance that you're accusing others of. When you're accusing others of trotting out tired old stereotypes it's best you don't do the same yourself.

Which part?

Every time turbo maintenance comes up, one of the first things anyone mentions is the 5000km oil change, as opposed to the 10,000km change schedule for most NA motors I've come across. Same with just taking it easy and idling it down after using it in anger (or going the turbo timer route), or warming it up before giving it some stick.

I realise you have to do this with an NA motor too, but with a turbo motor it seems the consensus is that its a lot more important, and the results of constant "abuse" are a lot more dire to the engine and its ancillaries.

And I hear so many people in modified turbo engines worry about their tunes in Summer, and having to pull back their timing / boost to avoid knock. Whether it be n00bs who stick something on because everyone else is, to people who've put some time and thought into their engine modification path, it always comes up.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject: V8 vs SR20
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:34 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
Want to buy:

Late model Holden Gen3 ute to tow my S15 to the track. Would perfer the ute to be supercarger or twin turbo !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:00 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Shane - you serious?

A guy at work is selling a manual Gen III ute with a HBD hard cover (so you can keep your spare parts, race suit etc out of the elements). I'll grab some details and PM you.

It hasn't sold for a couple of months so he might be more open to negotiation.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:32 pm 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Shane, give me a yell and I'll direct you to the best place for buying them atm

Oh, and does this mean joc and I can fix the interior?

scathing

oil change interval is far more dependant on how you're (ab)using the engine rather than whether it has a turbo or not. Keep in mind that the people with turbos you're talking to have engines putting out double factory horsepower and being regularly used hard. The fact that they are able to do this without massive modification to strengthen the engine says a lot about the old stereotypes about turbo engines being unreliable.

As for the cool down and warm up, there is absolutely no difference between an N/a car and a modern turbo engine with a watercooled turbo. To a certain degree the N/a has to be warmed up more before getting up it as in that you need revs whereas you have a bigger midrange in a turbo car so you can access a lot more engine performance while putting it under less stress. The main reason you warm an SR up is to ensure good oil supply to the cams and the bottom end bearings, these are not exactly parts unique to a turbo motor

As for summer tunes, no, again this is the same for a turbo and an N/a car. Unless you're talking about prolonged extreme abuse (ie, flat out on a track) the fact it's summer should have no real effect. In fact looking at some of the important temp readings (mainly intake but also water and oil) you'll be much higher driving sedately in traffic in the middle of winter than you will be having a squirt up the old road in the middle of summer.

I've heard lots of people say that V8's suck and that any engine with pushrods is crap however that doesn't mean I'll listen to them. Something to keep in mind next time you use the "but lots of people say so" justification when you're posting stuff you really don't know much about.

In other words, if you're going to talk down to people, make doubly sure of what you've said otherwise you come off as a right tosser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S15
silvia200sx wrote:
i thinks its the 4 cylinder porsche 928

928s are V8, 924s are 4cyclinder.

Post subject: Re: V8 vs SR20
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:19 pm 

blacksx wrote:
Want to buy:

Late model Holden Gen3 ute to tow my S15 to the track. Would perfer the ute to be supercarger or twin turbo !!!!

my celsior is up for grabs....just something to consider.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:21 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
If the Gen 3 is so good why are they getting rid of it at the end of this year becourse no matter what they do they cant make it comply with the new EOBD laws that are comen in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:24 pm 

which is also why the SR has been taken out of production funnily enough. anything else you'd care to add?

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:27 pm 
Quad T78

Yes true the SR is out but its 20 years old there are turbos like the XR6T that comply with EOBD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:32 pm 

and the 3UZFE 4.3L lexus V8 complies as well. what's your point?
the ford engine is not the be-all and end-all of modern technology. it's the best engine ford have ever made,but it's not ground breaking by any means.

the SR is only 15yrs old as well,btw.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:42 pm 
Quad T78

fergo308 wrote.you say they've done nothing in six decades,I say you've got your head up your arse.
there's an old saying you might have heard before: 'if it 'aint broke,don't fix it'.

If it aint broke dont fix it what would the world be like if every one worked that way.

Steam trains work so dont bother with them new electric ones
I can use a candle to see at nite in my house so dont need electric lights
A carby works so dont bother with that new EFI thingy
If my PC was made buy GM it would be the size of a room and full of vacume tubes I could go on.

You have to move forward in every part of technolgy and life

And no I dont have my head up my arse I could say that about you but your aloud to think your way and so am I but hey if you dont like what i say just give me shit life is easy that way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:13 pm 
Quad T51

Car: slow, quiet & comfy katemobile
JayS14 wrote:
Steam trains work so dont bother with them new electric ones

You've clearly never spent a day shovelling coal into a steam engine :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next