Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:37 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: 02 200sx Spec R
yeh i know its dinosaur technology, but unfortunately we dun get like a nismo 200sx/silvia to compare to their hsv's of fpv's......unlike the likes of the sti's and evo's!

Green s14a: crashed :(
White s14a: stolen :(
Red s15: current :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:57 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
JayS14 wrote:
They are old & usless GM V8's are still pushrod for fucks sake they only get there power from there masive capacity.

And your beloved SR only gets power from boost.

If your idea of a good engine is something that doesn't need to use a lot of air and fuel as the easy way of making power, a stock SR20DET isn't much better.

From a "building good engines" perspective, massive boost is as much of a "cheat" as massive capacity. Any idiot can put a turbo on and wind up the boost (as evidenced by most of the fuckwits on the road driving WRXs and S13s that run big power but shitty brakes and suspension) as easily as just boring and stroking a NA engine to get more displacement.

And there are guys making a crapload of power from the Gen III with very simple mods. Free up the intake and exhaust, and an LS1Edit with MAFless tune, and the thing makes impressive power.

Also, what's wrong with pushrods? Or are you just another one of those mindless sheep that bleats, "pushrod bad, OHC good" just because everyone else does?

It keeps the engine relatively low, so even with its displacement it can fit easily in the engine bay without having to raise the bonnet (and the CoG).

And for an engine with pushrods, the LS2 and LS3 engines have a pretty high redline for an engine of that displacement. Not bad considering how "low tech" their valvetrain is. It does a better job of power delivery than the OHC Ford V8, with better packaging. Sounds like a winner to me.

The Gen III HSV was still fast enough to beat the most reknown point to point sedan (the quad overhead cam V8 powered BMW M5) around the toughest racetrack in the world when the same driver runs them back to back.

And that engine will deliver more low end than yours, making it more suitable for its target market (people who feel that a sports car needs to lug 4 people and a boat around). I'd love to see you stick a turbo 4 in a sedan, load all the seats up with people and have them comfortable, and pull a boat at the same time. If they wanted to lose some bottom end and have it spin more freely up top, they could easily do so.

That you think V8s are a waste of time just shows how juvenile your perspective on the world is.

Comparing a lightweight budget coupe against a big family sedan isn't fair either. Its not like any car with that engine can really line up in demographic to a Silvia. It would be just as fair for you to go up against an Elfin Clubman as it would a Monaro (both are Gen III powered) - lets see you even stay in the same postcode as a properly driven Elfin.

But, if you have a look at the old GT-P competition, and the various Improved Production racing that still happens now, the HSVs do a fucking good job against the 200SXs.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:07 am 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Scathing wrote:
But, if you have a look at the old GT-P competition, and the various Improved Production racing that still happens now, the HSVs do a fucking good job against the 200SXs.

What you mean the two or less that always crash and / or suffer technical problems? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:29 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

When I spoke to Aaron McGill (one of the 200SX GT-P drivers) he really panned the SR20DET for blowing up on him in the heat of real competiton. He went through a couple of engines, since a couple blew up on him.

I never said the HSVs were better, and evidently they aren't much worse.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:07 am 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
Read what scathing has written guys he is right.

Yes the genIII has a massive cube advantage over the SR. I don't see anything as "cheating" you use what ever means possible to make power.

I think the problem is that most people who drive 4cyl cars have now adopted the mentality that the V8 guys used to have. I have upmost respect for a well built vehicle regardless of the capacity/driveline choosen.
If you had driven in an S13 with 10Grand spent and then driven a GenIII with 10 grand spent ill garante the GenIII WILL be a more impresive drive.
I have driven such vehicles and the pure grunt of the GenIII is awesome, id go as far as saying it actually shits all over my S13.

Obviously my Sil will always be a much nice car to "drive" but don't count the V8 out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:01 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
what caused the SR20's destruction in GT-P ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:11 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
poor setup would be my guess. Mike Fitzgerald went through a few engines as well until he let Pro Concept prepare the car. no reliability issues after that.

I drive a V8 atm,have owned holden V8's in the past,as well as a pair of S14's,and let me tell you that neither engine type is rubbish.
the SR is great in a light car. flexible,easy to get power from,and pretty reliable.
the V8's have torque everywhere,will run pretty much forever as long as you keep the servicing up,and can handle being dropped into a heavy chassis whilst still giving good response.

400hp is still 400hp regardless of how many rpm you need to achieve it.

power = torque x revs,so if you have an abundance of torque (like most large capacity engines do),you don't need to rev anywhere near as hard with a V8 as an SR does,to make the same power.
my Celsior's engine is a good example. it's redlined at all of 6500rpm,yet made 144kw atw. that's out of a 4L NA,with no mods bar a cat-back exhaust.
straight off the boat it did a 15.9 @87mph,and made 115kw atw.
for an 1800kg car pulled by a 4L V8,that's not too shabby.
what's the power output of,and how much quicker is a std RPS13? less,and not much I'd wager.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:27 am 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Aaron's tunes were very lean and detonated their tits off. Added to that they prepared the car quite poorly (things like not bleeding the cooling system after refilling coolant, vacuum hoses not checked etc) and didn't do the very basic mods to the cooling system required for a serious track car so it's little wonder he blew engines regularly. A number of people tried to tell him where he was going wrong but he decided he knew best and ignored them. The trail of broken engines he left stands as a testement to his intelligence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:23 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Scathing wrote: And your beloved SR only gets power from boost=
Yes fom boost but also engernering the SR is a 20 year old engine that is more technically advanced than a Gen III.

If your idea of a good engine is something that doesn't need to use a lot of air and fuel as the easy way of making power, a stock SR20DET isn't much better= Its 100 times better ok may be not 100 but it is a lot better

And there are guys making a crapload of power from the Gen III with very simple mods. Free up the intake and exhaust, and an LS1Edit with MAFless tune, and the thing makes impressive power= And there are alot of guys out there makeing a lot of power from doing the same things to an SR.

Also, what's wrong with pushrods? Or are you just another one of those mindless sheep that bleats, "pushrod bad, OHC good" just because everyone else does= No I think that way becouse im a mechanic Ive rebuilt both types of engines i know how both types work.

And for an engine with pushrods, the LS2 and LS3 engines have a pretty high redline for an engine of that displacement. Not bad considering how "low tech" their valvetrain is. It does a better job of power delivery than the OHC Ford V8, with better packaging. Sounds like a winner to me= how dose it do a better job of power delivery and yes if you use the same design for 60 years with out moving forward you will have a powerfull low tech engine at least ford has moved forwrd

That you think V8s are a waste of time just shows how juvenile your perspective on the world is= I dont think V8 are a wast of time I think GM's V8 are a wast of time I'm a fan of technology I think pushrods are a wast of time I understand how VVT works and what it dose just like EFI is too a carby. This is not a forum for juveniles if I was a juvenile I would not have a reason for my thinking And I would be posting on nssilvia.com not silviansw.com. Scathing im not calling you a sheep or a juvenile im just posting my thinking on this matter on this forum so dont call me that.

Comparing a lightweight budget coupe against a big family sedan isn't fair either. Its not like any car with that engine can really line up in demographic to a Silvia. It would be just as fair for you to go up against an Elfin Clubman as it would a Monaro (both are Gen III powered) - lets see you even stay in the same postcode as a properly driven Elfin.= That is all so ture its a diff class of cars.

But, if you have a look at the old GT-P competition, and the various Improved Production racing that still happens now, the HSVs do a fucking good job against the 200SXs= And the 2L cars like EVO's do a good job againt the V8's and in GT-P there not alowed to wind the bost up to masive levels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:09 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
Scathing wrote:
*No boost? Ya just loost

a scathing contradiction to his previous post, we now know were he really stands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:48 pm 

we sure do. in the front row putting shit on ignorant riceboys.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:53 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

JayS14 wrote:
And there are alot of guys out there makeing a lot of power from doing the same things to an SR.

Yeah, I know.

And there are people who can do that to K20A's, or RB's, or 2JZ's, etc etc.

I never said SRs were bad. I just don't think that panning a large capacity V8 because your forced induction motor makes similar power shows a general lack of understanding that some people just build engines differently.

On the plus side, with a big nat atmo engine I don't have to do oil changes every 5000km. I don't have to idle the engine down for as long. Wide variances in temperature (especially heat, which is a major issue in Australia) don't affect NA motors like they do FI motors.

Quote:
how dose it do a better job of power delivery and yes if you use the same design for 60 years with out moving forward you will have a powerfull low tech engine at least ford has moved forwrd

Forward in terms of....? The Boss V8 still produces less power and torque than the Gen III. It also doesn't breathe as well in the top end (which I thought was one of the major benefits of "modern" design). So yeah, its using newer tech...but if you're looking for results rather than marketing bragging rights, the Boss still lags behind the Chevy motor.

And low tech also means easier to maintain and repair. Its also generally lower strung than a high tech, peaky motor.

The only problem I have with the Gen III is the shithouse QA. Its just too easy to get a dud motor. If the Americans learnt to build shit with the same engineering tolerances as the Japanese and Euros, the Gen III would be excellent. But that's more implementation than an inherent fault in the design.

But, then again, I've never owned / driven a Nissan that didn't obtain a few rattles and squeaks after a couple of thousand kilometres. I love Nissan's powertrain and handling setup, which always seem bulletproof, but everything else is a bit "she'll be right".

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:35 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Scathing wrote. And there are people who can do that to K20A's, or RB's, or 2JZ's, etc etc= We both agre there a few little things can improve from factory free her up a bit.

Scathing wrote. I never said SRs were bad. I just don't think that panning a large capacity V8 because your forced induction motor makes similar power shows a general lack of understanding that some people just build engines differently= I just think GM are staying with something thats worked for 60 years instead of moveing forward if every car company did that think of what we would be stuck driveing.

Scathing wrote. On the plus side, with a big nat atmo engine I don't have to do oil changes every 5000km. I don't have to idle the engine down for as long. Wide variances in temperature (especially heat, which is a major issue in Australia) don't affect NA motors like they do FI motors= There are FI motors that have the normal 10K or 15K service times.

Quote:
how dose it do a better job of power delivery and yes if you use the same design for 60 years with out moving forward you will have a powerfull low tech engine at least ford has moved forwrd

Scathing wrote. Forward in terms of....? The Boss V8 still produces less power and torque than the Gen III. It also doesn't breathe as well in the top end (which I thought was one of the major benefits of "modern" design). So yeah, its using newer tech...but if you're looking for results rather than marketing bragging rights, the Boss still lags behind the Chevy motor= Yes but not by much & its a new design and its the 1st gen of its engine not the 3rd over a few decades.

And low tech also means easier to maintain and repair. Its also generally lower strung than a high tech, peaky motor.

Scathing wrote. The only problem I have with the Gen III is the shithouse QA. Its just too easy to get a dud motor. If the Americans learnt to build shit with the same engineering tolerances as the Japanese and Euros, the Gen III would be excellent. But that's more implementation than an inherent fault in the design=Shithouse QA yep how many engines can we make without piston rings.

Scathing wrote. But, then again, I've never owned / driven a Nissan that didn't obtain a few rattles and squeaks after a couple of thousand kilometres. I love Nissan's powertrain and handling setup, which always seem bulletproof, but everything else is a bit "she'll be right"= I drive a number of cars every day in my job and all of them have squeaks after a few thousnd k's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:40 pm 

the current small block chev known as the gen III LS1 is NOT the same engine as seen in mid sixties impalas and the like.

the basic bore and stroke,and valve operation method are more or less the same,but that's where the similarity ends. the crank is far superior,as are the rods and the pistons hanging off of them,the block is both lighter and significantly stronger,the heads flow a LOT more,the intake is totally different,and it has power output,fuel efficiency and emissions levels that the original small blocks could only dream of.

you say they've done nothing in six decades,I say you've got your head up your arse.
there's an old saying you might have heard before: 'if it 'aint broke,don't fix it'.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:02 am 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Quote:
On the plus side, with a big nat atmo engine I don't have to do oil changes every 5000km. I don't have to idle the engine down for as long. Wide variances in temperature (especially heat, which is a major issue in Australia) don't affect NA motors like they do FI motors.

To be honest here you're showing the exact same ignorance that you're accusing others of. When you're accusing others of trotting out tired old stereotypes it's best you don't do the same yourself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next