Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:07 pm 
T28

Car: 180sx
hey guys,

thanks for the advice. i went back for another test drive, and the previous owner who is the customs broker for the place selling the car came with me. the car was idleing fine, i couldnt see and smoke, no rattles, the pedals wernt worn too much and all the digits on the odo lined up. the car was driving fine for the first 15 mins and then the fuel prob started again. apparently a new fuel filter had been fitted? as soon as i hit about 4000 revs it would just start jerking and wouldnt continue accelerating??? when we got back to the store i was told that water must have still been in the fuel line or something. they're now going to drain the tank, flush it out and test it again. are these guys genuine or not? the car was driving so nice and i really want it, but i dont want one thats fucked.

i dont know that much about turbos or cars for that matter. it seems like not enough fuel is going through when boosting? does anyone think it could be somehting else???

i was also wondering what sort of relatively affordable mods are available? this one already has an exhaust back from the cat, a blow off valve and air filter. anything else? also, if anyone could sorta give me a crash course about 180's or turbos in general? just the basics about turbos, boost etc.....

sorry for the overload of questions, hope its not too much to think about :) thanks a heap everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:25 pm 
T28 Hybrid

can't answer ur question about the fuel prob...im sure dumhed can help...... :D

with ur mods change exhaust to a turbo back exhaust, which is much less restrctive. and get a bleed valve. however, u dont want to run more than about 10psi until u upgrade the intercooler.... :o.

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:50 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
the only thing I can think of other than what's been mentioned here and in the previous thread is to check that the BOV isn't leaking.. If it's leaking under boost it'll make the engine run over rich on boost, which will cause stuttering, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:31 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13 SR20DE
Shit in the tank or lines would cause the problems it also seems by your post that they are keen to get rid of the car so i would be wary after they claim to of drained and flushed the system take it for another run if all goes smooth it proberly was just shit it the line or water in the tank but the fuel pump might be ratshit
im not to sure on injected cars but it should be the same in basic theroy as a carby car perhaps the fuel to air ratio is wrong ??? dumhed can you help with this ???
i still recomend a NRMA inspection not sure how much they are but they will go over the car with a finr toothcomb and report any thing wrong with the car, when my brother got his TX3 4WD laser he got one and they pointed out a few minor flaws, but the owner was a machanic and had pointed out these already! so although in my brothers case the inspection was pointless it is still worth the money spent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:28 am 
T25

its just a guess, but i rekon the fuel pump could be gone. a mate of mine bought a 180 not long ago that had bumps all over the power curve on a dyno, got a gtr pump and was smooth as (and about 10kW higher). i never rode in it with the shit pump though, so i cant tell u what it drove like, i just was the dyno printout before and after fitting the gtr pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:18 am 
T51

Could also be a leak in the intercooler piping somewhere - mine sprung a leak in the piping once, and it was running way too rich on boost, and caused it to stutter heaps.
could also be the fuel system/pump as everyone is saying
also you might wanna check what boost it's running - if they have the boost wound up it might even be hitting fuel cut.

and lastly - advice for turbo's:

1) never turn off your car straight after a drive - let it idle and cool
2) be careful accelerating into corners - turbo lag can surprise you if you're not used to it, especially in the wet. You'll stomp on the accel, start taking the corner, then the turbo will kick in and the back will step out. Great fun if you mean to, but scary as hell if you're inexperienced and not expecting it.
I recommend taking the car to an empty lot and just getting a feel for what it's like to have the back step out - some day it could save your car or even your life.

-J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:51 pm 
T25

hell yes, drift as much as possible and one day it could save your life. or be the reason you died, but either way you had fun doing it.

but seriously he is right, if you know what do do in that situation it will be a lot safer, and you will know what do to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:03 am 
TO4

Car: R32 GT-R
The law has a hard time believing that story :lol:
I was just practising car control officer!! :D

In relation to the problem... sounds fuel related, similar to a problem of another user on here ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:26 am 
T25

"officer, i swear i had control of the vehicle the whole time!" hehe, one of my mates tried that one time, spent half an hour trying to explain that he had control of the car the whole time, but the cop gave him a fine anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:47 pm 
TO4

Car: S3 rx7 with some forced induction
Hmm who is that Morgs ? i seem to suffer a similar problem :wink:

id suggest its a fuel pump, but considering it ran 15 minutes fine then it seems a little weird.. At the moment my car runs strangely in that, if you dont drive it for a few days, it seems to run well afterwards, leading me to think there is a small leak somewhere in the fuel rail/reg that temporarily reseals if kept still for a few days.. It normally takes like 30 minutes of decent driving to get it to stuff up again.. But then i smell no fuel around the rail/reg so who knows :)

Try the pump, its easy to hook a pressure gauge up to and see if it ramps up or not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:55 pm 
TO4

Car: R32 GT-R
Hmm.. i dont know man, if it is a leak, i'd tend to think it would get worse, and not recover say a few days after, a leak/hole would get bigger and bigger. I Remember that night we went out dueling it got worse and worse as the night went on, I guess im not sure where to point the finger...