Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confuzzled
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:21 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Holden VT Calais Supercharged
Hey guys,

A few questions about things relating to changes which could be made, (and the correct way to go about them).

1) i was reading earlier on this site that if you change your engine (from a CA to a SR for example) that all that's required is a record change. If i was to get a complete original SR20DET engine and put it in my car (which is NA) would I still need an engineers and the whole song and dance to follow?

(reason I'm asking is that what was said was if the car also came in that option no engineers would be required).

2) Changing body colour would also require record updating right?

3) Does changing a standard catalytic converter to a performance one constitute as a performance upgrade? And if so, could i get defected for it? or will it require that i do the whole engineer song and dance for it?

(reason being is that the only one i can get my hands on which bolts straight on for a stockie is a performance one, as the other "standard" my parts supplier gets is a weld on, and I wanna do it myself to save money, and i can't weld for shit!)

Cheers in advanced

(P.S. I have trolled for it, but nothing seems to give me a definitive answer, short of calling RTA, which I don't have time to between two jobs. So please, no flaming.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
1: The engine change only requires a change of records,providing that you also upgrade the brakes to the SR turbo model's. If your car ran a factory SR20DE,you won't have to do anything,they're already the same.

2: Yes it does.

3: A replacement cat just has to function to a minimum of the same standard as the original. If you're worried about getting defected,have the car emissions tested and keep a copy of the printout in the car.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:18 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
fergo308 wrote:
1: The engine change only requires a change of records,providing that you also upgrade the brakes to the SR turbo model's. If your car ran a factory SR20DE,you won't have to do anything,they're already the same.

Not true. SR20DET brakes are larger than SR20DE brakes

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 pm 
T78

Car: xxxxx
Yep SR20DE = CA18DET brake wise

Post subject: confuzzeled
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Holden VT Calais Supercharged
okay sweet. just wanted to know for sure. But still, i supposed that it's still gotta wait till the RTA convo to make absolutely sure, and that will probably only be happening on my sickie if i ever take another. So since that's the case, would it just be the brake pads, or the whole mechanism???

So that being said, I now know the cheapest alternative, but would it actually be worth getting it done (swapping to standard engine with standard turbo?)? Or would it end up being better the other way (doing everything and including the engineer dance)?

And on a final note, one the car has a turbo, if i were to switch the turbo, than it would also require the engineer cert, right? Simply because that turbo wouldn't be a standard, right?

Cheers in advance again. just wanna see the correct way of doing things, not that I'd change the engine myself, just so i can get a rough idea on what path to take when (rather, IF it EVER) it gets done.

So with a records change, I could (in theory):
- change my current engine to a standard turbo engine (sr20de to sr20det) - provided i also change the brakes
- change my car to from auto to manual
- change the colour of my car

What about an exhaust change though? same deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:24 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: s13 silvia
I don't think you need to worry too much about a colour change, or from turning your silvia into another flavor of silvia that was also sold by nissan. IE: sr20det bits.

Aftermarket turbo I think you can do yourself without engineering also, but it is probably best to keep the turbo in the factory (low mount) position.

RTA website has lots of info its just not super accessible, but you can find the answers in there.