Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S14 problem.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:39 am 
T25

Car: S14a Silvia
first of all Hello everyone im new to this site. would be great if anyone could help me solve the problem im havin with my S14a silvia. its turbo and i have had it for about a year and looked after it well apart from the odd wee kick out or drift here and there, it has been runin perfect since i got it with slight mods, like HKS filter, blitz dump valve and decat and catback system, me and my mate recently instaled a front mount intercooler and all seemed fine for a few days and then the rpm started jumping but with no acceleration, so i got 2 different mechanics to test drive it and they both said new clutch :( . so got a stage one racing exedy clucth fitted. was warned to drive easy and not to boost it for a few hundred ks, which i did but at about 100ks the rpm started jumpin again with no acceleration. surly this cant be clutch again and im starting to think there was nothin wrong with the clutch in the first place, im starting to think its to do with intercooler instalation.

please help, all feedback and info welcome. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you take the car back to the place that fitted the clutch and have the g'box taken out again. if the engine is free-revving under load it's a clutch problem.

First thing to check is the pedal adjustment. make sure you're not pre-loading the master cylinder with the pushrod being too long with the pedal in the up position. if the hydraulics look and operate fine,it can only be a mechanical issue.

if the clutch is brand new it's obvious that the friction plate won't be worn down,so that's eliminated.
the only part besides the pressure plate (which us also new,eliminating that) that could cause this to happen would be the flywheel having been ground in such a way that the pressure plate can't give adequate clamping force.
pull the box,check the clutch and the state of the flywheel.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 am 
T25

thanks for the advice, sounds like a good place to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:23 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s15
After I had a new clutch put in,at about 500ks mine would slip on higher boost. Took it back to the mechanic and he adjusted the peddle preload and it has been fine ever since

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:14 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 93 B13 NX-R
your first post doesnt give a clear indication that the clutch is slipping at all.. infact you specifically state that it will do it with no "acceleration at all".

could you better describe what happens when the issue takes place? better to get more info before ripping the box out again.

give an example like:

when i am driving and put my foot down the revs go up fast but the speed does not.
or
when i am stopped at the traffic lights my revs go up and down without any acceleration.

that might help get more accurate info :)

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 am 
T25

here is a bit more info on what happens. when i press the throttle the revs go up but with no increaes in speed,

all gear changes feel and sound good.

it seems to be more frequent when the car is hotter, eg driving for more than 30 mins. seems to be worst in 2nd 4th and 5th.

the clutch i had fitted was new exedy stage 1 racing, but never changed the fly wheel.

seems a bit suspicious that it never happened once until the intercooler was fitted, but its probanly just a coincidence.

hope this help determine possable causes :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:37 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Series 2 S14 200sx
Have you checked all the intercooler pipes? made sure that there is no silicon joiners which aren't connected properly?

sounds like a clutch problem, the clutch might be slightly on from the get go, causing it to heat up quickly and making it less effective, hence why it works ok to start but not as good as you drive it longer. Do what fergo said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:53 pm 
T04 Hybrid

gerryboy wrote:
"when i press the throttle the revs go up but with no increaes in speed"

"seems to be worst in 2nd 4th and 5th."

Based on those comments id say ur driving and put ur foot down and it revs up but no increase in speed. And it is definately in gear.

SO either ur new clutch is also a DUD, your mechanic never actualy changed the clutch OR its badly out of adjustment.

take it back to the guy who installed the clutch and lean on them :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 pm 
T25

took the car back to the mechanic this morning and he adjusted the clutch pedal, it definatly feels better under my foot and i think that was the problem, the clutch wasnt releasing fully.

i want to put up an extra few hundred kms before i boost it so wont know for sure til then.

a big thnk you to everyone who replied to my problem, this is a great site :D .

another question for you guys, and i will post a new comment about it.

my S14 is lowered on URAS coilovers and if i am turning or parking there is a rattleing thumping type sound from around the front suspension area.

it is definatly not coming from the engine!

i have been told this is a coming problem with lowered S14s and that apperently you can get some kind of stabilising bar or extra toe rod that solves this problem.

does anyone know if this is true and what exactly do i need to get.

thanks again everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
a common fault with most of the modern nissans is the bush in the front radius rods failing. these are fluid filled rubber and when they tear you'll get a knock under brakes as the rod will move back and forth.

have a look underneath and if the bushes look torn,or have grease weeping out of them,they'll need to be replaced.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:56 pm 
T04 Hybrid

go over everything in the car as Justin mentioned, look at bushes etc.

one other thing to look at are the locking rings on your coilovers. sometimes the locking rings on the coilovers can come loose and you are turning the shock body itself in the hub mount OR ive also seen the spring seats come undone with some horrible noises when the locking rings grab and let go.

GL with it

J