Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:19 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
i wanna know why you asked if you could easily have just checked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:33 pm 
Retard

Car: Sileighty
fergo308 wrote:
Why are you still talking to us about it if you're so sure it's correct? just go buy it already and stop the validation seeking.

Justin...

Read his original post.

He was asking about PERFORMANCE, not fitment. Zei brought up the topic of fitment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:35 pm 

and your point being??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:38 pm 
Retard

Point is, why harp on about him validating that they fit, when that wasn't the point of creating the thread?

Take the knowledge that the GTR swaybar will fit on the S15 and move on - his original question has not been answered. I am curious how it would effect handling too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 pm 

*yawn*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm 
T66

Car: Black S15 Spec R '01
hey Ram, are you sure the GTR rear sway bar is 27mm?? that sounds a bit thick considering Whiteline are offering an "extra heavy duty" one which is 24mm.

why would whiteline offer an extra heavy duty one that was smaller?

could the 27mm figure come from the GTR FRONT sway bar?? not the rear?

anyway, if the GTR rear sway bar was indeed thicker than the stock S15 one, then you would find that it would increase oversteer.

if its so cheap, why not just buy it and try it out and let us know how it goes. if you dont like it you can always sell it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 pm 

the rear GTR one might be hollow, hence its 27mm thickness. or its totally wrong :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:01 pm 
Retard

I thought hollow/solid didn't matter when it came to swaybars, only the diametre. I haven't played with each to test first hand, so its just heresay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:23 pm 
T66

a solid 27mm bar will be stiffer than a hollow 27mm bar. hence it will give different handling characteristics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:23 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
God wrote:
I thought hollow/solid didn't matter when it came to swaybars, only the diametre. I haven't played with each to test first hand, so its just heresay.

hollow or solid,or the material used,or what level of heat treatment,all of these are completely relevant to how stiff the bar is.

a hollow 27mm bar compared to a solid bar that's the same diameter is chalk and cheese,something like 300% difference in stiffness. not a minor difference to be sure.
anyone who's fitted replacement bars to a nissan from whiteline/selby's etc would be able to confirm that from practical experience. the std s14/s15 front bar is 27mm hollow,and the replacement aftermarket bars are the same diameter,just solid.

the std rear GTR bar is likely to be solid,and something like 12mm or so thick. the std s15 rear bar is similar. the difference will be minimal.
as I said back on the first page,if it's free,give it a go. if you're paying money for it,spend it on something else.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:40 pm 
T66

fergo308 wrote:
a hollow 27mm bar compared to a solid bar that's the same diameter is chalk and cheese,something like 300% difference in stiffness. not a minor difference to be sure.
anyone who's fitted replacement bars to a nissan from whiteline/selby's etc would be able to confirm that from practical experience.

the std rear GTR bar is likely to be solid,and something like 12mm or so thick. the std s15 rear bar is similar.

Justin...

yep, when i replaced the stock sway bars on my S15 with Whiteline items they were a fuck load heavier and had a lot less flex.

the stock S15 rear sway bar is 19mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:02 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: JAP S15
The 27mm mesurment came from the owner of the swaybar.

The answer of it will increase oversteer was pretty much what i wanted to hear. I couldn't be stuffed going through trial and error with my setup at the moment. I just dont want to waste any time and money.

To all the ones who jumped the gun and went completley off topic to try and put down someone who was asking for some simple advise...you are ment to be the moderators and the ones who are seen as the most knowledgable. Why would you do this? To try and make someone look silly? To boost your ego maybe? Because your a fuckwit?

SilviaNSW.com used to be a place where i could jump on and ask a question and have it answered correctly and promptly. Its seems to be heading in the opposite direction these days. Hardly any new posts per day and not much activity as there used to be? Why is that? Are the older members scaring them off or did everyone leave because they feel as though the Mods should have a reality check?

I've seen mods go off for guys posting usless crap so why do they? At the end of the day we just want our sils to drive well. So no need to be a dick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:13 am 
Retard

fergo308 wrote:
hollow or solid,or the material used,or what level of heat treatment,all of these are completely relevant to how stiff the bar is.

Thats what I thought logically, as there is clearly more torsional (twisting) resistance with more metal, but I was assured on numerous occasions, by numerous people, that only the outer ring affected torsion strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 pm 

ohh i dunno, we might have been trying to help with something crucial that you may have not thought about.

looks like you have your answer. good luck.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2