Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:40 am 
T25

Car: Celica
Hi noob here just checking in, Can anyone convert me to buying on of these as my celica's getting a bit boring now and I was wondering also which is better s14 or s14a I quite like the s14 (pre face lift) but is there any difference between them? can anyone tell me what they handle like? how cheap are parts (original and aftermarket) to buy and how readily avaliable they are, and how easily are they to modify and maintain, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:32 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

>> which is better s14 or s14a I quite like the s14 (pre face lift) but is there any difference between them?

The S14A is just a cosmetic upgrade on the S14

?? can anyone tell me what they handle like?

It depends how you drive it and how silly the old owner was. If you don't know what you're doing (or if the car has been sey up badly), you will understeer everywhere. In the hands of someone reasonably competent, they are a fantastic car, even with standard suspension. Coilovers are highly recommended though.

>> how cheap are parts (original and aftermarket) to buy and how readily avaliable they are,

As you'd expect, original parts from Nissan aren't cheap, but second hand parts are readily available on the forums for next to nothing. Aftermarket parts are also relatively cheap and readily available because of how popular the silvia is.

>> and how easily are they to modify and maintain, thanks

Maintenance is the same as pretty much any other car. Do the oil and filter every 5000km, gearbox oil, diff oil, coolant and filter every now and then.

Modifications are relatively easy and there is a wealth of information about them on this site.

Just don't jam massive chromies on it or rev it too hard when it's cold and you're golden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:16 pm 
T25

Oh right ok, so they are a decent car which are pritty bullet proof, and mods are easy to get.
what do you mean by "Just don't jam massive chromies on it" Wheels or engine bay bling????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
wheels.

three points to remember when buying wheels for a silvia:

*17" is as big a diameter as you'll ever need.
*Chrome is for hot rods.
*offset is the opposite of callibre,smaller is better.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:21 pm 
T25

lol, I'd have to agree with you there, chromies are for pimps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:07 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180sx
any of the s class chassis are fun cars to drive, heaps more fun than a celica ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:40 pm 
T25

I need to be converted back to the silvia's too. :P :oops: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:53 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: too many
deep dish chromes look good on anything!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:14 pm 
T28

Car: JDM S15 Aero
hmmm

yeah i got 18" 350z Track Rims on my car
with the lowest profile bridgestone adrenalins
and at MOST angles, the wheels look too big.

18" is ok if u got dish i reckon.
17" dish will look too small

silvias are fun!
FR with excellent weight distr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:33 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S14
jap boy wrote:
Hi noob here just checking in, Can anyone convert me to buying on of these as my celica's getting a bit boring now and I was wondering also which is better s14 or s14a I quite like the s14 (pre face lift) but is there any difference between them? can anyone tell me what they handle like? how cheap are parts (original and aftermarket) to buy and how readily avaliable they are, and how easily are they to modify and maintain, thanks

S14's are great cars, though my view/perpective maybe alittle bias as I own and drive one as my daily.

Very comfortable and great looking cars. Major difference as many have pointed out are mainly cosmetics. Front bonnet, gaurds, lights and front bar are all different (facelifted)..Rear taillights, ECU and interior trim are also different.

Regardless of these differences, they both behave and drive the same. read: GREAT! =p

Regarding modifying S14...they are as easy as s13/180sx and s15. They respond VERY WELL to simple mods such as a larger exhaust, front mount intercooler and boost controller. Will allow you to net 150+ kwatw easily, giving you plenty of usuable torque and power for the road and running mid 13 quarter mile times.

=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:01 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Series 2 S14 200sx
peaking duck wrote:
hmmm

yeah i got 18" 350z Track Rims on my car
with the lowest profile bridgestone adrenalins
and at MOST angles, the wheels look too big.

18" is ok if u got dish i reckon.
17" dish will look too small

silvias are fun!
FR with excellent weight distr.

do you wanna sell the 350z wheels :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:57 pm 
T28

Car: JDM S15 Aero
^^ Sorry buddy
though im selling my complete car.
mod deleted my add. not enough posts :s

if u want fun FR 2L turbo car, i dont think u need any convincing coz theres no no (or not many) options available to u.

wot are ur other options?
perhaps this way we can help u weigh the pros and cons of ur options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: s13 silvia
There are some minor mechanical differences between the s14 and the s14a.

a bit of searching will turn up a complete list as I think this has been covered before in some detail, although I may be thinking of another forum >.<

they are minor, however, and you should go for whatever one you like the look of the most I would say.

As mentioned, they respond VERY well to treatment, and are generally a very reliable fun to drive car.

Try not to get one that has been flogged is probably the main thing. If you know one has had frequent track work or been drifted... proceed with caution.

especially if it's been drifted! drifting hammers cars, theres no avoiding it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:04 am 
T25

Car: 1996 s14 200sx (ex ae86)
Sorry to hi-jack.. but its better than more threads with noob questions..

I should search, but I have alot of questions and it may take a while to find the exact answers I want. And my mobile wireless net connection hates openign webpages in general (once you have had it you will know what I mean). So sorry!!!! Please forgive me, but the net really sucks and I need some feedback as soon as possible, because probably pick up the car Sat.

I'm about to buy a s14 s1.

I've worked out that 17inch wheels are the best, but should run run staggered or not? As in 8.5 on front and 9.5 on rear?
What is a good width, and relating offset? I want it to fill out the guards as much as possible without doing any guard work or use camber to fit them under.

Are s14a interior bits interchangable and able to be fitted in an s14 s1?

Suspension.... I use to own an ae86 with 8kg/mm in front and 6kg/mm in rear. Quite uncomfortable, I dont think I want to go quite that hard again, but it handled well.
What is probably the best poundage for s14 for handling with a little comfort (I am prepared for a slightly harder ride for better handling characteristics).
And swaybar settings or anything else? I dont want to understeer but I dont want it to be extremely unstable in the rear, prefer neutral or slight tendancy towards oversteer.

What is suggested realistic rev limit for these things?

And highest boost retaining stock engine components, including injectors etc?

Always run on 98 octane? Or can 95 sometimes be OK for daily driving (just in case fuel prices jump again)?

What are the most prone engine issues? The car I am grabbing is 250,000 odd km. Alot but it is cheap and I dont plan on keeping it longer than 2 years, probably 1 year.

Anything else worth telling me in regards to owning a s14 would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

I'm about to buy a s14 s1.
Is it the red one on carsales?

Suspension.... I use to own an ae86 with 8kg/mm in front and 6kg/mm in rear. Quite uncomfortable, I dont think I want to go quite that hard again, but it handled well.
What is probably the best poundage for s14 for handling with a little comfort (I am prepared for a slightly harder ride for better handling characteristics).

8kg/mm fronts and 6kg/mm rears will provide a very livable balance between ride quality and handling (provided the shocks aren't stuffed). I used to have that combination in a pretty comprehensively stripped 180SX and it was perfect. Just please, for the love of all that is sacred, choose a sensible ride height. If you go too low, your suspension can't work how it's supposed to.

And swaybar settings or anything else? I dont want to understeer but I dont want it to be extremely unstable in the rear, prefer neutral or slight tendancy towards oversteer.
You can play with your alignment to encourage oversteer, but it's really not necessary. My advice is to put in some coilovers and go drive the car at a skidpan or a track. That will give you an idea of how the car handles, and you can then work on getting it where you want it by messing with the alignment. The settings someone else likes might be horrible for you.

What is suggested realistic rev limit for these things?
The factory rev limit is 7300 or 7400rpm if my memory serves me correctly. There's really no reason to raise it though, since peak power is usually reached before the rev limiter kicks in (unless you've put on a silly turbo).

And highest boost retaining stock engine components, including injectors etc?
Take the car to Unigroup engineering, (make sure you call first). They'll throw it on the dyno and crank the boost up to a safe level. Depending on what supporting mods you have, you should be able to make around 180rwkw if your engine is healthy. If it's not, the guys at unigroup will let you know.

I could tell you to run X pounds of boost, but if your fuel pump is dying (or you have another problem), you might blow up your engine, and that's no fun.

Always run on 98 octane? Or can 95 sometimes be OK for daily driving (just in case fuel prices jump again)?
If you're not willing to run 98 octane all the time, you probably shouldn't be buying the car. Sure, you *could* put 95 in it and drive it very gently (i.e. low revs, low load), but I wouldn't chance it. You can put in bigger injectors and get the car tuned for 95RON, but it'll cost you a bunch of money and you probably wont end up saving any cash (since you'll be using more 95RON).

What are the most prone engine issues? The car I am grabbing is 250,000 odd km. Alot but it is cheap and I dont plan on keeping it longer than 2 years, probably 1 year.
The biggest issue? People thrashing them cold. Give the engine 10 minutes to warm up (ideally idling, but you can drive it as long as you keep it under about 3000rpm and use as little throttle as possible).

250,000km is a lot for any engine, but what condition it's in now is entirely dependent on how those kilometers were driven. If the car's spent its life doing interstate trips with regular servicing, it should be in pretty good condition. If it's been driven a few kilometers to and from work every day, without being warmed up properly and hasn't seen regular services, it'll be on its last legs.

Anything else worth telling me in regards to owning a s14 would be appreciated.
Do a skid!!!!