Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:18 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S14
I'm about to buy a s14 s1.

If it's the one on car sales, the colour is bad (lipstick red), the km's are bad (250,000km!), and your resell value will be bad (even after a year of driving)..
My opinion: try and save more for a better example?..

Unless you plan to drive it for abit, get and install a new cluster and resell for greater profit?..that's illegal I think?!..

Are s14a interior bits interchangable and able to be fitted in an s14 s1?

..YES.. The only difference between the interiors of the Zenki and Kouki models (to my knowledge) are that the dash clusters are different, the steering wheels are different and the trim patterns are different.
Both are in affect are same.
One thing that is NOT interchangeable is the ECU's.

Suspension....What is probably the best poundage for s14 for handling with a little comfort (I am prepared for a slightly harder ride for better handling characteristics).

8kg/mm in front and 6kg/mm is the goods.

As cypher1024 mentioned above, please don't go rediculously low. You'll just scrape over every hump and MOST LIKELY bash you exhaust and get a dump pipe leak. not to mention defects etc.

What is suggested realistic rev limit for these things?

7400rpm...Don't raise it, it's not a Honda!

And highest boost retaining stock engine components, including injectors etc?

If all other supporting mods are running fine (ie. injectors, fuel pump), 14psi MAX on standard T28.

Always run on 98 octane? Or can 95 sometimes be OK for daily driving (just in case fuel prices jump again)?

For sure 98 RON fuel...Mine drink BP Ultimate daily.

What are the most prone engine issues? The car I am grabbing is 250,000 odd km.

Maybe VCT rattle. Dump pipe loose is also common amongst SR20 owners.
This is ontop of all the other problems that the previous owner could have caused and we don't know about!..

Anything else worth telling me in regards to owning a s14 would be appreciated.

Please don't rice it up!..No neons, no leather leopard skin interior and definately NO George St. chromies.
They're great cars to drive, very reliable and not that bad on fuel. I manage to get 12L/100km or less (city driving)!?..[/quote]

My Zenki S14 will up for sale in the near future. I hope it goes to a good home. If you're still looking then, I'll let you know =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:29 am 
T28

Car: 1991 Silvia RB20DET
+1 dont rice it up please! leave it stock or get some nice, subtle jap styling happening! (my personal taste)

SR's are really strong engines, but yea if its been cold started a lot i'd be a bit hesitant on buying~

theres a certain one on ebay going for 7300 too. (not sure if we can post links here.. :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54 am 
T25

Car: 1996 s14 200sx (ex ae86)
Thanks a heap for your time to go through alll those answers cypher1024 and fail snail, thanks for the headsup too tricky_dan.

Yea it is the redone on carsales, but I have struck a good deal with him, and I use to live in Newcastle and have to go back this weekend. I know red is a too common colour in s14 200sx, but I am a sucker for red, so its fine with me haha. Plus I only have a fixed amount of cash to play with right now, and do need a car now. So thanks for the offer fail snail but I do need a car now... and don't have the money to spend on a "nicer" example.

First I want to make one thing clear. Rice makes me sick!!!! Neons, 20s and chrome, dropping it too low, rediculous bodykits, colour coded interiors and themes.... hell even numberplate personas annoy me.
My idea of a nice car is if anything a modest bodykit like vertex, ssr, works or volks and a clean paintjob, and everything else going on mods that serve the purpose of usable performance.

Yea well the 8/6kg/mm for a car that was just under 1000kg was a lil too hard for shit aussie roads but it seems thats perfect poundage for a s14, thanks for confirming that.

And with asking about the "realistic" rev limit, rather than raising it, I more meant although the redline on the dash etc etc may be a certain figure, it doesnt mean you want to realistically rev it to that... I don't know much about SRs... yet.

Yea I am definately running it on 98 RON, I was just thinking if fuel goes through the roof in the future, like $2.50 per litre or some shit.

BTW skidpan? I heard Oran closed, does Eastern have skidpan? Or where?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:40 pm 
T88

Car: kouki 14
oran is still going strong til at least the end of the year ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

fail snail wrote:
...Unless you plan to drive it for abit, get and install a new cluster and resell for greater profit?..that's illegal I think?!..

Yeah. Not only is it illegal, but it's a really shitty thing to do to whoever buys the car. The odometer is there for a reason.

no_tofu_speed wrote:
Yea it is the red one on carsales, but I have struck a good deal with him, and I use to live in Newcastle and have to go back this weekend.

That's fine, you just need to be aware that there's 250,000km on every moving part in the car (wheel bearings, diff etc). Be aware that you might have to replace more parts than you would in a car with less kilometers on the odometer. Then again, you never know if that reading is genuine.

Inspect the car thoroughly (especially where the front shock towers meet the wheel wells). I had a look at an S15 last week with a bit over 100,000km showing on the clock and the shock towers were starting to split from the wheel wells.