Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:24 pm 
Twin T04

Car: 92 Silvia Q, 93 180sx
Ill be honest, I (and I imagine others) dont understand your logic.

You say you cant afford certain things that need to be done, yet you just splashed out on new wheels. Did you NEED new wheels?

These wheels were 18x8" +40s right?
They are currently on the car with a (?25mm) spacer right?
You went with that wheel offset right because when spacers were fitted, someone used shorter studs to bolt the hub to the spacer and welded them in place right?

If you had firstly fixed your hubs/studs which, IMO, takes precedence over new wheels you could have bought some wheels with a better offset negating the need to run spacers at the front.

As a result, when you DO get around to fixing the hub/stud issue, you are going to find that if you dont run a spacer you will, at best, have the wheels sit in further and at worst have the wheel strike the coilover.

I dont know if you understood some of the posts, and if thats the case, thats a shame, but does not reflect poorly on you as perhaps we could have explained it better. However, even still you you didnt take the advice of some of the people in this thread when they told you that you were making a poor decision. Even if you didnt understand their reasoning, you didnt listen to their conclusions and advice which was explicitly stated and thats disappointing.

This forum is lucky to have people who take the time to help others and share their knowledge about what they have found works and what does not and when they take the time to explain things and offer advice and you ignore it, I imagine thats rather frustrating.

As for the girl thing, yes I appreciate that it may all be a bit foreign, but you can pick up as much information as a guy. For reference, my girlfriend has been known to abuse mechanics attempting to fleece her at rego time, panelbeaters when they have been doing a dodgy job, the blokes at the nissan/mitsu parts desk when they mix parts up, wreckers when they claim things are compatable and they arent and me when I do a half arsed repair/modification.

I dont want to discourage you from asking questions or advice, quite the opposite! People on here generally enjoy seeing someone modify their car well. Id personally much prefer to spend a few minutes helping than seeing a riced up abortion riding 20" pizza cutter wheels with a fist sized gap between the arch and the wheel. It reflects poorly on the rest of us. A well modified import on the other hand makes me smile and gives me inspiration and motivation.

With that in mind, when answers come in for your next question, even if you dont understand why someone is suggesting something, please don't ignore their advice.

~bb~ wrote:
anyone else had a problem with tiens and wheels? lol here i go again...

People have, yes, if they run to high an offset the wheel sticks too far in unless they use spacers. If this happens to you and it strikes the coilover you have a couple of options

1) Run a spacer

2) Buy some new wheels in an offset which fits better.

Im fairly sure that you will clear the coilovers however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
I don't ignore the posts, i read them thouroughly.. and i try my best to understand them.
the studs were aftermarket, and hacksawed. they are completely different to the rear wheel studs and the wheel studs i bought which are standard s15 studs. and these "aftermarket" wheel studs i assume are on an aftermarket hub, well..its welded to it. Im not sure if he hacksawed them to the size of the standard wheel studs, i would have to measure.

you are right, i could have bought wheels with the better offset etc. I have to run a spacer as is, even with the hacksawed studs. although when it comes to fixing, i can run a smaller spacer..

i dare not say you all could have explained it better, you all did a great job, I'm just shit with car terms, especially as i know nothing about wheels, i didnt even know what an "offset" was until this thread.

I don't mind running a spacer, I'm just worried if cops are so tight about it and get me for that IF i end up in an accident touch wood i don't. or they go over my car with a fine pencil so to speak.

I don't want to get new rims. i absolutely love the ones i got. everyone has different tastes, and thats mine.. it misses the coilovers on the back with the standard hubs/studs, but not the fron't. So with that thought, im hoping once i get new hubs that it will all fit correctly as the back clears with those rims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 pm 
Twin T51

Car: 180sx RB26DETT
umm... i dont have much to say about them rims.... but yeah like someone said already, that view is indeed very niceee...

rims...... gooood.......

....job :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:18 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: S15
you sure its an aftermarket Hub, or are they just the studs on the spacers like hubcetric spacers like below which are attached to the hub.

Image,

also if you do get smaller spacers when you replace the studs, you may need to get extended wheel studs as smaller spacers 10mm and lower (5mm you can use std studs) are called floating spacers and as the name suggests they just float between your hub and wheel, minimising the amount of thread your wheel nuts can bite onto. they can put exrta strain on the studs and possibly snapping them, that said alot of people have ran them no problems. Hubcentric spacer (15mm and above) are a little safer as they are attached you your hub with your existing wheel studs, however with the smaller hubcentrics like the 15mm you will sometimes need to cut the studs in half to fit the spacers.

so if you do go spacers again just make sure you know what ones you are gettings and if any other modification will need to be done before getting them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:45 pm 
Twin T51

Thanks Marshy :) i wouldnt have a clue if it is aftermarket, i just assumed as the studs are longer, and been cut..and welded at the back... they arn't attached as those are, the back of the studs were pretty smoothed off and didn't have a bolt on them at all, just a weld line around it :-?

the spacer i have on look very similar to this:

except more holes..

i dont think ill even need spacers once i replace the hub / studs as the back is fine with everything standard, but the front is not with the weird longer / hacksawed studs / hub. I will get the mechanic to have a look at it regardless , as i couldn't get a good look from just having the wheel / rotors off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:57 pm 
T66 Hybrid

ahhh i see know, so you got longer wheel studs and they have give them down and stupidly welded them to the hub rather then got them pressed like a normal person would do. well atleast i think i got it

the spacers you have are floating spacers, which yes usualy do require extended studs, this guy just decided to do it the dodgy way.

hopfully you will be fine without spacers, unless these wheels do hit your coilovers, then you might want to look at getting something like the nismo extended wheel studs rather then using the std studs.
________
Teen health forums

Last edited by marshy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:25 pm 
Twin T51

marshy wrote:
ahhh i see know, so you got longer wheel studs and they have give them down and stupidly welded them to the hub rather then got them pressed like a normal person would do. well atleast i think i got it

the spacers you have are floating spacers, which yes usualy do require extended studs, this guy just decided to do it the dodgy way.

hopfully you will be fine without spacers, unless these wheels do hit your coilovers, then you might want to look at getting something like the nismo extended wheel studs rather then using the std studs.

well if the fronts are the same as the rears it should be right im hoping :) as everything in the rear is standard and it misses the coilovers.

shame he did it dodgy! i just want my car up to scratch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: 93' 180sx
bree,short and sweet,fix the hubs and studs before you do anything. main reason your probably getting grilled for it is the fact i doubt anyone on here wants to hear of you having an accident because of a dodgey setup.

safety first, style second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:54 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
14 page's of the same response's to the same question's, yet WHAT HAS CHANGED? nothing.....

you realise that the increase in wheel size + lower profile tyre's has probably added to the strain on these dodgy wheel stud's?

i hope for the passenger in your car at the time, that no one is seriously hurt..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:48 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

The only time i will ever buy NEW rims will be when i can afford custom offset/colours from RAYS in Japan

All new locally available wheels belong on falcodores only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:47 am 
Twin T51

getting them fixed in two weeks booked in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:38 pm 
T78 Hybrid

does that mean this thread gets locked in 2 weeks?? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 pm 
Twin T51

after its done yes!! CASE CLOSED! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm 
T78 Hybrid

until your next modifying adventure....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm 
Twin T51

shuttup :p camber arms! but they're going on when i get the hubs / bushes / everything else fucked under my car fixed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next