Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S14 vs S15
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:14 pm 
T25

Car: Mitsubishi Magna
Hey guys, first post :). Glad to be hear.

Well, my current ride is a Mitsibishu TJ Magna, which, is a good car, but, its time to move on.

I was looking at some Evos for a bit, then decided to look more towards 200s.

Car will be a daily driver, which will hit the circuit about 5 or so times a year, and the dragstip probably about 10times a year.

From reading on these forums, it seems these cars are well suited to my needs. Im planning to at first have about 180rwkw, with Coilovers, and swaybars to suit. With this im aiming for a 12second pass, and a sub 1:10 at Wakefield.

Now, im in two minds if I should go for an S15, or S14. I personally prefer the look of the S15, but dont mind the S14a.

A few people have mentioned the 6speed, found in the S15 isnt as strong as the 5speed, and for serious trackwork needs to be replaced, or rebuilt. How true is this ?

Also, any other reasons you guys can see why one particular model is better than the other.

Thanks for you help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:17 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
6 speed is fine for 180 kw

I went for the S15 over S14/S13 because of the interior mostly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:20 pm 
T25

Proabably should say that the 180rwkw goal is only for the short term, and will be achieved using bolts ons. In the future the plan will be to open the motor, cam and some forged items, all powered off a larger turbo. 250rwkw or so will be the second goal (in a year or two)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:33 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

You wont need that much power for <1:10 at wakie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:44 pm 
TO4

Car: none
Serial Killa wrote:
You wont need that much power for <1:10 at wakie

I'd just like to add that the S15 6speed manual comes standard with a Helical LSD which is meant to perform better than the S14 that comes standard with a Viscous LSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:10 pm 
T51

Car: S14a
They are basically the same car mechanically (barr the 6 speed)

Choose the one you like the looks of best.. or drive both & see which one you find more comfortable..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 pm 
T25

Looking at the prices, it seems S15s are very cheap now. Seem to be decent models, with little, or no mods going for between 20-22g, ADM ofcourse.

The few S14s that are advertised with under 100,000km seem to be going only a few thousand cheaper.

The interior, and exterior of the 15 are > than the 14 (subjective)

So, how much power can the 6speed tranny take ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
T66 Hybrid

ADM are usually more expensive then that. JDM are about 20-23k ADM usually go for about 23-26k+

it really depends on how you drive, my 6 speed goes fine havnt had a problem with it. i currentyl got 230kw and its fine.

if you thrash the gearbox then it will most likley break pretty easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:41 pm 
T25

marshy wrote:
ADM are usually more expensive then that. JDM are about 20-23k ADM usually go for about 23-26k+

Well, my prices simply come from a Carsales search in my area. Not sure on the specifics of each car, or even condition, but, there seems to be a few that "look" decent at about 20k.

That said, without further inspection, who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:01 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Didnt they refine the S15 platform? So it has more feel and response than any other S' series.
S14a panels are hard to find, where as S15 there is plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:54 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
when you're going to modify the car heavily in the long term the only real question is styling.

price evens out for the most part,although going the S14 option will be cheaper as you will be replacing most of the same parts in both cars. given that the S14 is considerably cheaper to buy in the first place,the end result will cost you less.

don't bother looking for low kms,as it doesn't matter. the difference between <100,000km and 150,000 in wear and tear is fuck all for these cars really,and to be honest,you'll be replacing everything that wears anyway in your search for more performance.

you don't need enormous power for good times at wakefield,it's technical circuit. I know one S1 S14 that's only got 180kw atw and it has done 1'07" laps...
chassis setup is where you make up time down there.

both cars have pluses and minuses,you need to look into both and pick the one that fits your needs best.

if you're umming and arring,and are going off of book specs to try and make the decision,buy the S15 as you'll fit right in with most of the other S15 owners.
if you're after best performance,for the best price,and are willing to do some work to get it,go for the S14.

Justin...

Last edited by fergo308 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:00 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
....or if you want to do 8's around wakie on the cheap, get an s13...

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:04 pm 
T25

fergo308 wrote:

don't bother looking for low kms,as it doesn't matter. the difference between <100,000km and 150,000 in wear and tear is fuck all for these cars really,and to be honest,you'll be replacing everything that wears anyway in your search for more performance.
Justin...

Thats an interesting statement, that I can see some truth to. Problem is, im not sure what starts to wear on these cars being only very new to them.

To take a Magna for example, i kno the Water pumps tend to go around 150,000, and that its a very exxy labour job for such a cheap part.
Similarly, I know the life of many parts of that engine, and asthus, have a better informed decision on what condition is needed.

Do any of you have a link to common S problems, due to age. Ive tried to search, but, not much has come up.

It also seems alot of you guys are thinking Wakefield is the only aim of this car, which wont be true. First and formost, it will be a comfortable daily driver. Needs good throttle response, decent power, and above average handling. Wakefield was used as an example only because its probably the easiest track to take the car to regularly. Car will hit eastern creek aswell :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:36 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
eastern creek is faster and longer,so power and brakes are more important than at wakefield,but not so much that you will need twice as much power or anything.

most people stop around 220kw atw or so,which is easily achievable with bolt-on mods these days. that's plenty for local circuits,whilst still being quite responsive for daily duties. once you get above 250kw atw the driveability and response fall away proportionate to the further increases in peak power.

what breaks? what do you expect to be worn in a 10-15yr old performance car? the usual items such as water pumps,oil seals and such do fail,but they're not expected at 'X' number of kms,like in some cars.
gearboxes get noisy (or if it's an S15,were noisy when new),but usually hang in ok if not mistreated. diffs last as well.
suspension parts,such as subframe bushes loosen up,steering rack bushes wear,castor rod bushes tear,but I haven't really mentioned any of this previously,as you'd be replacing most of these anyway.
S15 interiors scratch up just by looking at them. S14's don't.

basically,get a decent mechanic to go over any car you're considering and assess it for what it is. expect to be spending a grand or two on repairs immediately,and several more over the next year or so as you iron out the bugs,and start wanting to go faster.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 am 
Twin T51

Car: 200sx s15
i have an s15 with an s14 box in it, so its got the 5 speed within the 6 speed gear ratio's (does that even make sense? lol)

mainly the previous owner fucked the 6 speed box n was cheaper to put the 5 speed in, i have a question within this subject... does it make the car have more torque??
all the guys i go cruising with said its a quick shifter, too.. dont know if thats like a seperate mod with the 5 speed box or not.