Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECU & ABS Computer?????
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:44 pm 
T25

Car: Silvia S15
Just wondering if anyone knows if its true that the only way to use the S15 Instrument Cluster in another car is to wire up the ECU and ABS Computer and obviously the sensor on the wheel??? Thats what i have been told? I thought there may be an easier way??
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 pm 
T25

Car: S15 Silvia [AU S-Spes]
Hi Paul T,

In theory it would be possible to use a S15 Cluster in another vehicle, as to how much effort was involved would be dependant on what vehicle it was being transplanted into. For example, a sender unit located on the gearbox produces vehicle speed signals or VSS signal on a S14 Silvia. Therefore in this application the VSS would be able to be sourced from this sensor with appropriate wiring modifications. If the Cluster were to be used in another make or model careful consideration would be needed in checking signal values and sensor types for speed, fuel and temp.

Electronic kits are available to modify such things as VSS to compensate for variables such as diff ratios and changes to rolling diameters. (even added at factory for limited edition vehicles with different wheel tire combos STI rex for example)

Wiring diagrams for S15 cluster are available online (search/google)

So in short yes its possible. Is it worth it? Well that depends on how determined you are or how deep your pockets.

For further information as to costing contact an approved instrument fitter or clued up auto electrician or performance workshop.

>+(:

[touge]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:23 pm 
T25

Car: Silvia S15
ok.... but on the S15 box which i have already in the car, the only sensor actually switch that there is is the reverse switch....

Thats the actual problem..... I have the temp guage and tacho set up. i have the wiring diagram and im pretty sure the speed signal is coming from the abs rather than the gearbox....

I suppose the question would be can i put an S14 speed sensor onto the S15 6 speed???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:57 pm 
Retard

Car: Sileighty
Yes.. 6speeds use the ABS to determine speed.

No, you cant use an S14 speedo sender in the S15 box, as theres no hole for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm 
T25

Car: S15 Silvia [AU S-Spes]
“I suppose the question would be can i put an S14 speed sensor onto the S15 6 speed???”

F r o m a l l r e p o r t s i t d o e s n o t a p p e a r s o.

The problem:- no aperture on the gearbox and no drive gear on the gearbox main shaft.

So what next? Sound as though you are determined so…

You will need to produce the signal by other means, and with this there are a number of variables here such as tail shaft and diff configuration etc.

If you are using S15 diff housing (or similar with abs sensor) you can adapt the abs sensor output via electronics to the required waveform required by the combination meter and ECM.

If you are using a diff assembly without you will need to install a tail shaft sensor kit available from a cruise control supplier. (Magnet attaches to tail shaft at back of gearbox with magnetic coil sensor mounted to trans tunnel) (sine-wave pattern)

ABS SENSOR (S15 DIFFERENTAL) (what is it, how’s it work)
The sensor assembly consists of a gear-shaped sensor rotor and a sensor element. The element contains a bar magnet around which a coil is wound. As the wheel rotates, the sensor generates a sine-wave pattern. As the rotating speed increases, the frequency and voltage increase.

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (VSS) (S14) (what is it, how’s it work)
The vehicle speed sensor is installed in the transaxle. It contains a pulse generator, which provides a vehicle speed signal to the speedometer. The speedometer then sends a signal to the ECM. (at 40km/h it produces a square-wave signal with 2-3v amplitude and 50ms duration)

What you are aiming for:- is a square-wave signal with 2-3v amplitude and 50ms duration at 40km/h

Where to start:- as previously stated there is a DIY kit available on the market which may prove useful with the addition of sensor drive/shaping circuitry.

Hope this information helps.

>+(:

[touge]