Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:51 am 
T25

Car: 97' Nissan Silvia S14 Facelift RB20DET
So I had a SR20DE and Nismo 6 Speed gearbox laying around from when I pulled the lot from my S14 Facelift (for RB20DET conversion).

So we found this A31 rolling body on Trademe NZ and my misses and I thought we would buy it and use it as a daily so we can get rid of her Subie<- :roll:

These are literally the photos that were on the auction

Got it with a bunch of other stuff as well - RB25DET (series 2) Loom and ECU, already converted to manual, R32 handbrake conversion, front strut brace came with it aswell as an RB20DET gearbox for my S14 build. It had a respray early 2012 and it was already lowered with Dobi springs and shortened shocks. It also came with the 15" BBS wheels that BBS made for Nissan (These are hard to find here, they are not my choice of wheels but not bad for factory ones).

To get the motor in I just used the subframe that I took out of my S14, (bolts straight up to the Cefiro) and had to modify the gearbox cross member.
The shifter was in the perfect spot (as you can see). I had read on the internet that for this conversion it may not line up... Load of crap, looks perfect to me...

I had to modify a factory A31 gearbox cross member to fit but that was simple. I just drilled 2 plates out to match the holes on the under body, then lined them up and welded it to the factory cross member.

That is literally how simple it was just to get the motor bolted in!

Last edited by DrRb on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 pm 
T25

Note* I had to bend the power steering hard lines to clear the sump but that took 2 minutes

The next step was mounting everything else to the motor.
There were a few things i had to make or modify, eg. accelerator cable bracket, radiator mounts, some hoses needed modifying to be out of the way and functioning. But that is pretty much it

I simply cut and welded the bracket for the cable to suit the A31 cable

Made up some brackets to hold the radiator (only temporarily as I am sure the engine bay layout will change soon), but they work for now

The SR bottom radiator hose was still perfect in length so I just used that, but for the top it needed to be a bit longer, I went to pick a part and grabbed the top hose off a VR/VS V6 Commodore as the have long straights in them and just cut it to fit. I have now wired the factory SR A/C fan that mounts to the radiator as the electric fan for the engine to get rid of the viscous fan. Again, the radiator setup is only temporary for now, as we're still deciding on other things.
The SR-RB heater hoses are different diameters, so i just used the SR hoses from the motor and cut them behind the head and used plastic adapters from repco to put the smaller rb hoses on, in order to connect them to the heater core (still want to run a heater for now)

I used the RB hose from the power steering resivoir to the pump as its shorter, and i just used a bracket to secure the high pressure so it wasnt in the way.

When I had everything in the engine bay, i noticed that I could still stand in the engine bay even with the motor and the radiator in there! Soo much space!

Last edited by DrRb on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 pm 
T25

The drive shaft was also pretty straight forward, I used the rear half of an a31/c33 drive shaft, message me if you want to know what front piece I used as there is a secret to the 6 speed box (has a different yoke to all other manual boxes).

The wiring side of it was pretty basic, I simply used the S14 loom without the interior plug or wiper plugs and wired the appropriate wires to the corresponding wires inside the car where the factory interior plugs line up. (more info on wiring, send me a message) I used the RB temp sensor so the dash will read the correct temp. The lower loom just all plugged straight in as it often does with Nissans.

I will hide ECU when I get onto freshening up the interior :P

First turn of the key and it cranked and started, ran mint and everything worked fine with no leaks or anything, it was charging and everything. Success!

I ran it a couple of times in the drive while i was still finding a drive shaft front piece. I swapped the blue front bumper that had been cut up for the drive shaft front piece and $50 my way. Car came with 2 spare ones so I just put one of those on, I'll paint it soon when we repaint the car this year. (prep work was shit before it got painted so hard work needs to be redone) :roll:

There you have it, SR20 and 6 speed into an A31 Cefiro

CLICK HERE to see it running after its first drive up the road and back 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:33 pm 
T25

My only question right now is to turbo or not to turbo.. ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:15 pm 
T28

Car: 1993 black S13 silvia
Hey mate
that is a nice build i have a mate who want to put his s15 motor into a cefiro so this might help him out a bit, i look forward to see what else you'll be doing to it...
M13