Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mavrick s13
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:22 am 
T28

Car: 1993 black S13 silvia
Welcome to my thread.
Back in November I bought an n/a 1992 s13. It took me from saturday to Tuesday night to crash it. (round a corner in the wet lost the rear end and snapped the control arm on a gutter sending the wheel straight into the firewall).
Its been sitting around since then, since I didn't know Wat to do should I fork out the 5 g's to fix it? Or part it out? Then one of my mates hit me up with an idea. Why not buy a new shell and transplant everything over? Up until that point the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, so I looked around for a shell, having no luck finding a shell I post a "wtb". Within a day I had Tmb offering his rolling s13. I went to see it for the first time today... I fell in love with the potential.
All I want from this is a decent looking daily with a happy 190kw+ without adding a turbo (not till I get my blacks at least).
Plus I want to learn more about my car Wat better way than stripping it down to create something better.
Any advice from people who have accomplished this will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:40 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
I'd reset your power goal to 100rwkw or thereabouts (even this is hard to get). 190rwkw isn't realistic out of an NA. Save your money till you get your full licence and can drop a turbo motor into it

Also, post pics. People like pics

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:00 pm 
T28

My goal was 190kw+ thought they came out stock 150kw ish I must be mistaken. Just out of interest does anyone know the stock kw for this Silvia. Btw Tmb wat year model is the black Silvia???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:57 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
A standard SR20DE from an S13 makes 105kw at the engine, which is about 75kw at the wheels.

An S13 SR20DET (turbo) makes 153kw standard, which is about 110rwkw.

190kw at the engine on an SR20DE is possible, but you'll have to spend 10+ grand on the engine unless you can do *all* the work yourself.

If you do a full exhaust, pod filter, and adjust the timing on a dyno you can get about 90rwkw (~125kw at the engine)
To get 100rwkw you'll need cams, ECU and tuning (probably talking $2000+ extra)

If you managed to crash your car in the first few days of owning it there are probably far more important things to worry about than making more power.
Getting the handling and braking sorted is a good start - but the most important thing is driving experience. It takes a few years to learn to use the potential of the car - even if it's standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:08 pm 
T28

Thanks dumhed. I must have misunderstood the article I was reading.
And yeah I will definitely be paying far more attention to suspension and brakes. I was thinking perhaps a set of Tein coilovers and nolathane bushes all through the system. Brakes I have no idea about I've read alot of people use skyline brakes. I want some serious braking power. Actual engine power isn't a huge thing for me right now. I'll do the usual exhaust and intake. But I need some advice which 5-stud conversion to use and which brake calipers, pads and discs to use. I am for all intents and purposes a performance mod virgin. So any help I get is greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 am 
T78

Car: xxxxx
http://www.silviansw.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32767[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 pm 
T28

Thank you killabeez that was intensly informative.
And thanks to ph11ps for writing it.
I'm now thinking r32 gtr fronts with slotted rotors, not sure which brand but I'll begin looking for prices, and stock rear caliper with slotted rotors. Onto brake pads, ive been adviced that endless are really good but ive also been told that red stuff/green stuff are much better if anyone knows about or has experience with these brands give us a shout.
******I will be posting pics soon******

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Endless are good,and are also expensive.

Most people are satisified with Ferodo DS series pads.

EBC pads seem to have mixed success. Some love them,most hate them.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:47 pm 
Takumi

GTR brakes are overkill on an SR20DE car.

R32 GTST or Z32 brakes are the best value option in my opinion.

S14/15 brakes are the cheapest 4pot upgrade but they're a lot heavier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 pm 
T28

Fergo308- thanks for the info I'll definitely look into that
Dumhed- it may be overkill now but I'll be swapping to a sr20det when I get my blacks so I thought I might as well just go the whole nine yards whilst Im down there.
On to suspension, I've been advised to get whiteline adjustable sway bars, I've had mixed responses from this, half the workshop says get them the other half says don't... What are your opinions/experiences???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:39 am 
Takumi

What will you be using the car for?

Standard (or close to it) suspension with an upgraded swaybar or two is a great setup for street driving, but will be a bit soft on the track unless you strip out the car and make it a lot lighter.

If you're running cheap stiff coilovers the swaybar upgrade can actually make the handling worse.

If the car will be used on the street (including mountain roads, etc) the R32 GTST brakes will also be fine with decent pads (DS2500, etc)
If you're going to do serious track work with the turbo engine and appropriate handling upgrades the GTR brakes are worthwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 am 
T28

I'm basically Looking for a trackable street, I've started learning how to drift in my mates wrx, obviously that's not the same as a Silvia but it's a starting point. If the gts-t's are decent I'll probably get them then. I just thought id get the best I could. If the gtr's are unrealistic for street driving in a sr20de then I'll just stick with the gts-t's. Any idea on cost for the calipers???
Thanks for the help dumhed.
I'm looking for someone to get some rust off my roof. I've got the metal all I need is someone who can MIG weld. Make me some offers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:32 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S13
Hey and welcome to the club.

I recently switched from CA18DE brakes to R32 GTS-T ones (thanks for putting them on Dumhed :D) with slotted DBA (i think) discs.

Good upgrade (just about anything would be from the old brakes and worn pads). They needed spacers for my rims to clear them though, so that's something else to consider if making this upgrade.

I'm in your area too. Once you have your car on the road I'll probably see you around. Funny enough there don't seem to be many S13s around out here anymore. Mines the ugly two-tone white and gold s13 with a big faded silviansw.com sticker on the back window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:10 pm 
Takumi

Mavricks13 wrote:
If the gtr's are unrealistic for street driving in a sr20de then I'll just stick with the gts-t's. Any idea on cost for the calipers???

The GTR brakes will certainly work fine for street driving, it's just that you'll spend a fair bit extra for little to no benefit.
I've seen GTST calipers as low as $100 or so, but maybe 200-250 for a set normally?
You'll be paying more than double that for R32 GTR brakes.

On the track the pads make the biggest difference.
I've had standard brakes with good pads work better than 4 pots with standard pads.

If you're doing the 5 stud conversion at the same time you can often pick up a complete package with the S14/15 brakes. They're heavier than GTST, but work the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm 
T28

thanks sambo i hope to see u around too (ill race ya :P ), which part of the west do u live in???
DumHed - thanks for the help im still not sure yet but ill cross that bridge when i get to it, ill definetely invest in some decent pads especially when i go to the track, like i said before im either thinking endless, or bendix.

im yet to find out much about discs or tyres anyone with some good info is welcome to comment.

anyone know the removal process of an sr20.