Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 am 
TO4

Car: Mazda 3 MPS
Wakefield on the 14th was good, not great... will put some footage up at some point, but moving house atm and the computer is stowed away.

Was slippery and cold in the morning, and I didn't adjust that well - was sliding all over the place and missing lots of apexs/braking points. Managed a best of 1:17 before lunch.

After lunch, I concentrated on being a bit smoother - hitting the braking points and apexes. The weather improved a lot too and I got down to 1:14's, then 1:13's, and to 1:12.9. I was happy to put together three or four laps within 0.2s of each other. Looks like my goal of 10's is still a little way off.

I think the car's braking performance could be better, so i've ordered another set of HC+ front pads. Was pretty happy with them on my last sil, and on paper they're a superior pad to what i've got in there at the moment.

The rear end feels a little bit nervous on power down. I don't think an open diff and too much camber are helping that. I'm on the look out for a diff, and I've bought some rear camber arms to dial out a little bit of the camber.

Eastern Creek day on the 18th April. Will see how the changes affect the feel there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:02 pm 
T78

Car: xxxxx
Awesome buildup dude, Im going to get into some supersprints with NSCC this year, just need to source myself a big removable GT wing and get myself a 2 way as I still want to use it for drifting. Btw I have a 1 way Mech LSD I'll be selling soon as Im returning my daily to stock, PM me if your keen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
1-way are excellent for circuit stuff

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:21 am 
TO4

Go for it mate, you'll love it! These sprints i'm doing are multi-club events, and NSCC is one of the other regulars, so hopefully i'll see you at an event before the year is out.

I've Pm'd you about the diff.

Killabeez wrote:
Awesome buildup dude, Im going to get into some supersprints with NSCC this year, just need to source myself a big removable GT wing and get myself a 2 way as I still want to use it for drifting. Btw I have a 1 way Mech LSD I'll be selling soon as Im returning my daily to stock, PM me if your keen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm 
TO4

Bored, so updated entry in the Garage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:00 pm 
TO4

Suffered a minor setback on Sunday. Crashed the car at Eastern Creek.

I got a little too keen into turn one, ran wide on the exit and put the right rear on the grass. That unsettled the car and it went spearing back across to the left, toward the inside of the track. I tried to countersteer back into it but it happened too quick and the car swapped ends. I left the track on the outside of the road between turn one and two, skated across the grass backwards and hit the concrete on the outside. Rear left hit first, then the front left. I'm pretty sure the car is a write off, but I don't know a lot yet.

Would love to get straight back out there, but it's expensive. Currently exploring options. Feel free to suggest away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Bugger!

I've gone off after a corner at EC before in the wet, there isn't much runoff to the concrete wall, especially when you are on wet grass!

Managed to fix mine though, sounds like you were going much faster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:04 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Sorry to hear about the car mate.

Options abound,the only limits are your level of enthusiasm and your budget.
throw out a rough dollar value for how much you want to spend,and how much you're willing to do yourself and how fast you want to be back on the road and we can go from there.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:48 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
High speed off's suck the dick.

Probably best bet is to get it looked at and see what is actually bent underneath. The skyline was obviously fucked when i crashed it. passenger side strut top was 100mm further back then drivers side and the damage just became more obvious as we stripped out the interior. I cancelled the rego almost straight away.

$1100 reshell?

http://forum.silviansw.com/viewtopic.php?t=34231

It is missing the front panels but hopefully some of yours are salvageable. It'd probably be around 2k by the time you got it on the road, some of it would be offset by cancelling your existing rego, green slip and insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:33 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
That sucks. I guess we do know the risks when we enter these events though, especially at car eating tracks like OP and EC

Was this car your daily? If you were thinking about continuing to do track work, this might be your calling to get a proper daily towcar and keep a silvia for track-only work

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Gay dude :cry: , yeah reshell like dave said is a good idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 am 
TO4

Yep, high speed offs do suck.

Justin, in answer to your question, i've got about 4 grand to get this back on the road. I'm not in a massive rush to get it fixed but as tmb mentioned, it was my daily so I am currently car-less. I bus to work and stuff so it's not urgent but I don't want this to drag on for 6 months kinda thing.

The car's been towed to a workshop and the diagnosis ain't good. Chassis is very bent, every panel except the right front fender is dented. All the LHS suspension arms are bent or snapped, brake rotors are shattered. Apparently the radiator survived though! :P

But yeah, will be cancelling the rego on it.

I've spotted a couple of registerable rolling shells with standard suspension and full interiors. I figure if I can salvage an engine, gearbox, and accessories, I might be able to get out of it relatively cheaply.

If the budget can be stretched, i'll seriously consider the daily runabout option too. Dunno about towing and stuff just yet, but I would like to put a half cage in the car, which will basically render it a track car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:49 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Re-shell definitely sounds like it's the way to go for you atm. If you can pick up a shell and get it regoed for $2-3k you'll have enough left to get a few replacement goodies and get back on the road.
swapping the driveline out of your damaged car into the new shell won't be hard as far as rego goes,as you own both cars,it's just an adjustment of records that can get done at the same time that the shell is blue slipped.

long term,TMB's suggestion has a lof of merit. a lot of the more serious guys are going that way now. you can't really drive fast on the streets anymore and a car that's serious on the track can be a bit of a pig day to day. dedicated track hack and locally-delivered daily is the sensible approach now.

Also,the way a lot of people drive on the street these days it's almost not worth risking your good car in the day-to-day commute. insurance won't pay you back for all your hard work setting up and modding a car,all they'll give you is the market or agreed value while the idiot in the falcodore that pulled out without looking and hit you gets his car replaced and doesn't lose anything. that's not a fun place to be either.
something to consider for later...

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am 
TO4

Yeah totally agree. Hopefully funds will allow the Silvia to just be a track car and then a runabout for everything else.

So I take it there's no point cancelling the rego then re-applying for it on the new car if I can just transfer the rego to the shell once it's blue slipped?

Spent a few hours stripping the car yesterday and it's looking pretty good - there are a few salvageable parts that can be used in the new shell. The coilovers appear ok, all the rear suspension arms, exhaust system, engine and gearbox, brake calipers, radiator, intercooler, seat, and a bunch of interior stuff.

Diff housing is cracked. Front left rotor and LCA are knackered, brake lines have been stretched pretty badly. Chassis is definitely a write off, although bootlid and wing survived, which was a bonus.

Will take the last of the stuff off the crashed car later in the week.
Have found a donor shell for a good price, so hopefully the transfer of parts to it can begin soonish too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:00 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
How'd you crack the diff housing without damaging the coilovers or the suspension arms out back at all?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next